correct snowblower operational sequence

asgard

Equipment
B2301, 60 inch deck, 51inch blower
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I thought I would ask those with experience operating the front mounted snow blowers what the best operational sequence was.

I am new to the front mounted units previously using an Allied 72 inch rear mounted unit, which in comparison to the Kubota unit was battleship quality.

I ran the PTO all the time and had it set to auto disconnect when lifted near bind height.

With the front unit, is there a bind height. When blowing do you engage the unit and then move back and forward leaving the unit running when lifted or do you slow the PTO speed, disengage the PTO lift the blower and back up. I ask this because I have a very wide area and start by doing a couple of long runs, then go back and forth, currently I am slowing, disconnecting backing up and re-engaging - but that is taking way longer than my previous rear mounted which mostly ran when only slightly lifted.

So, what are the thought of the experienced operators?

Hoping I can speed this process up a bit, maybe too cautious and now after the PTO shaft fiasco a bit gun shy.

rjwa749

Equipment
L3940 Grand w/frt snowblower
Nov 27, 2010
Cle Elum
No bind height that I am aware of. I have 6 years on my L3940 w/blower and it is great. The Kubota blower only raises to about 6".

I run float mode a lot which has caused an issue with the float bracket. Just replaced it and the new part is twice as beefy. Kudos to Kubota for the upgrade.

I plow/blow forward and then lift and back up and repeat. Never a problem and I don't slow rpm while backing. I run it between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm mostly unless I need a bit more and then I'll hand-throttle in for a short period to a bit higher rpm.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Try raising and lowering the snowblower without the pto engaged and check that the pto shaft linkage is not binding when fully down or in danger of falling apart from being slightly too short when fully lifted. If your setup is like mine (a 2750 front blower on a BX23) there should be very little change in pto shaft length from fully down to fully raised. If that looks OK, then do like I do, keep the pto speed up while raising or lowering the blower, or when travelling while not blowing to start another strip. There is not much change in shaft alignment from fully down to fully up, and what little there is, is for the ujoints to take care of.

asgard

Equipment
B2301, 60 inch deck, 51inch blower
Oct 22, 2016
Ontario, Canada
That is what I was looking for, the ability to leave the unit running while lifting the blower.

That will save a lot of hand operations and speed the process up a lot.

Thanks.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
The problem is not just shaft linkage or binding. When a universal joint operates on an angle the output shaft speeds up and slows down twice per revolution. This is why there are a pair of universal joints on a rear drive vehicle that have equal but opposite angles so the speed changes cancel out. On my BX I get some knocking if I raise the blower all the way, so I just raise it a little to get it off the ground. I keep the tractor and PTO at rated speed, but limit the lift and universal angle.

The speed change on the output shaft of a universal joint is why a CV (constant velocity) joint is used on the axles of front wheel drive vehicles.

Last edited: