Converting Fan clutch to straight fan V2003-T

Sean2202

Equipment
L305DT
May 27, 2019
CT
Greetings,

I have a Toro Groundsmaster 4500D serial # 30856-2700001xx that has a Kubota V2003-T engine. These grounds masters had a tendency to overheat if the radiators are not cleaned out every day. The next generation 4500D changed the fan setup (hydraulic). I believe part of the problem is the fan clutch which are extremely expensive to replace through Toro. I have sourced A Hayden 2705 fan clutch but it had a weaker spring and did not last or cool as well as the factory unit.

I am looking to see who might have a Kubota V-2003T in there tractor which has a straight fan without any clutch that I can adapt to my groundsmaster to see if it cools better. The current fan pulls air in and faces to the rear of the machine.

Which Kubota tractors had a non emission Kubota V-2003T?

Thanks for any help
Sean

Last edited:

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
We have a Toro 3500-D sidewinder at work. Not sure what engine is in it off the top of my head, it is turbo and direct drive fan. When I go back in a couple days I’ll look. And try to get some pictures.

Reactions: 1 user

Sean2202

Equipment
L305DT
May 27, 2019
CT
We have a Toro 3500-D sidewinder at work. Not sure what engine is in it off the top of my head, it is turbo and direct drive fan. When I go back in a couple days I’ll look. And try to get some pictures.
More than likely a D1105-T. I have three of them here with that engine. Now you got me thinking..... I Wonder if that direct drive fan would bolt up to a V-2003-T?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
More than likely a D1105-T. I have three of them here with that engine. Now you got me thinking..... I Wonder if that direct drive fan would bolt up to a V-2003-T?
That’s exactly it. D1105. Don’t know why I was drawing a blank earlier. Some of our out fronts are 4 cylinders with direct drive fan, but no turbo. F3680 may be worth a look on the parts breakdown.

RickT

Equipment
Kubota F2650 and Toro 4500D with Kubota V2003 Diesel Engine
Aug 21, 2021
Minnesota
Greetings,

I have a Toro Groundsmaster 4500D serial # 30856-2700001xx that has a Kubota V2003-T engine. These grounds masters had a tendency to overheat if the radiators are not cleaned out every day. The next generation 4500D changed the fan setup (hydraulic). I believe part of the problem is the fan clutch which are extremely expensive to replace through Toro. I have sourced A Hayden 2705 fan clutch but it had a weaker spring and did not last or cool as well as the factory unit.

I am looking to see who might have a Kubota V-2003T in there tractor which has a straight fan without any clutch that I can adapt to my groundsmaster to see if it cools better. The current fan pulls air in and faces to the rear of the machine.

Which Kubota tractors had a non emission Kubota V-2003T?

Thanks for any help
Sean
Sean,

I have the exact same situation with my Groundsmaster 4500D serial 30856-2400001xx with the Kubota V2003-T engine. I have replaced the thermostat, water pump, and have had the radiator flushed and serviced at a local radiator shop with no improvement.

I had just concluded that the problem must lie with the cooling fan clutch when I ran across your forum inquiry. Please let me know if you found a direct attach fan option to eliminate the clutch unit.

My plan at the moment is to have an adapter machined up out of aluminum to use the current fan element but to eliminate the clutch entirely which apparently has far too much slippage and fails to move sufficient air through the radiator(s).

If you have not found a suitable bolt on direct drive fan, I will see if my approach works and will send you the print for the clutch elimination adapter if you haven't found another workaround...

RickT

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Sean,

I have the exact same situation with my Groundsmaster 4500D serial 30856-2400001xx with the Kubota V2003-T engine. I have replaced the thermostat, water pump, and have had the radiator flushed and serviced at a local radiator shop with no improvement.

I had just concluded that the problem must lie with the cooling fan clutch when I ran across your forum inquiry. Please let me know if you found a direct attach fan option to eliminate the clutch unit.

My plan at the moment is to have an adapter machined up out of aluminum to use the current fan element but to eliminate the clutch entirely which apparently has far too much slippage and fails to move sufficient air through the radiator(s).

If you have not found a suitable bolt on direct drive fan, I will see if my approach works and will send you the print for the clutch elimination adapter if you haven't found another workaround...

RickT
This a totally off the wall question, but I wonder if it would not be possible to disable the existing fan clutch. Drill a couple holes and screw in some self tapping screws kinda of thing....