Considering a new tractor

stil190

Apr 23, 2016
Indiana
Hi. I am looking to get a small tractor to help with landscaping projects around the house and small tasks on the farm. I do have a larger tractor for heavier tasks. In the new tractor, I will order a BH and considering a grapple for moving brush.

Have looked at the B2650 and the BX23S. I see some pro's and con's to each. One thing that bothered me about the B2650 is the rear axle design. I see a central differential / housing with a relatively long unsupported axle out to each wheel. I am worried about the torque load on the differential casting and those long axles. Especially if it is carrying a BH most of the time. The BX has a axle where the exposed axles are very short. Making me think it maybe more robust to the BH weight.

Any experience with the B2650 design? Any real concerns about that failing?

Any other thoughts about those 2 tractors?

Thanks.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Well, they are both great landscaping tractors (I've had both). Obviously, the BH 77 backhoe has considerably more reach and power (it also swings a full 180 degrees). The B series also has a better 3pt system and better front loader capacities (could be very important if you're considering a grapple).

I had used a BX23 (2006 model) when I had a part time landscaping business. It's very small, but can get the job done if you have the time. They are true work horses. The limiting factors of the BX models is their ability to lift and they do not have much ground clearance.

To me, they are relatively close in price. I traded my BX23 for a B2650 for more capability. No regrets this far.

Best of luck to you.

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
Since the 2650 has a sub-frame backhoe I wouldn't worry about snapping axles with the BH.

I have a 2710, while much older it is somewhat similar in HP and weight (although the 2650 will out lift me on both ends).

If it were my money i'd get the B.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I've never heard of someone snapping an axle on a B, and Kubota are pretty reputable - if it was happening with any frequency I'd imagine they'd have changed the design. The B is a more solid machine than the BX - Kubota tend to design their tractors to the power available - so a BX is strong enough to lift what the BX hydraulics can lift, the B is strong enough to lift what the B hydraulics can lift. At the 3ph the B can lift twice as much as the BX, so I'd expect the rear axle assembly to be roughly double the strength.

The BX is also limited a bit by the size of the front tires - they're sized that way for people used to lawn tractors, but with much load on the FEL they can end up on the rims. Well, probably not, but feels that way, of course if you counter balance with a ballast box or similar it's less of an issue. The B has much larger diameter tires, and so I'd expect the front end to be a bit tougher too.

Overall, I wouldn't be buying a BX on the assumption it's stronger - it won't be. If you want a smaller tractor, more nimbleness, lower centre of gravity, then yeah, get a BX (I did). But if your only hesitation on the B is a perception it's less tough, then I don't think that's right.

Of course, having said that, knowing my luck you'll break an axle somehow. :) Be nice to your tractor and it'll outlast you....and it does have a warranty too.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I wouldn't be worried about the axles getting torqued in that way. Most larger tractors that I've used have the rear wheels out farther from the base like that.

Kind of funny that was brought up. I've recently been considering a trade from my BX23 up to a B series for many reasons, and one of those reasons is the axles on the BX are out too short a distance from the housing. ;) The issue I find is when operating my BX in the mud, even light mud, the tires tend to absolutely pack the area around the transmission housing with mud. I just spent 20 minutes the other day pulling clay out from amongst the linkages and between the rear wheels and the housing, it was a mess. And the mud that I got into that caused it wasn't even that bad, I never even got stuck.