Compatibility of Kubota fluids

fendley

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, SVL65-2
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
I have both a tractor - L3901 HST with loader and backhoe and a track loader SVL65-2.

The tractor uses SUDT for its hydraulics, while the CTL uses 46HD.

I have one implement that I would like to share between both (grapple) but I am concerned about the intermixing of the fluids. I asked the dealer, and they said it was a small amount of residual in the grapple cylinder and lines so it wouldn't be a problem.

I would like to know a more definitive answer; does anyone know more about the mixing of SUDT and 46HD? Is there a way to purge more of the fluid out each time before the swap?

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
I occasionally use my attachments on rental equipment. Mixing fluids has been a concern when I reattach them to mine. So I hook up one line and loosen the fitting on the end of the other line and stick it a bucket. Then operate the controls to flush out the line. Then tighten up the loose end and attach it to my machine. Bit of fluid lost but it’s peace of mind.

No idea on the mixing fluids compatibility question.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Good luck in getting a definitive answer. Previous discussions (mostly dealing with using neighbors implements) generally agree that the small amount of fluid is of little consequence. Your machines have about 11 and 13 gallon sumps, so a pint or two either way doesn't seem like a big deal.

I suspect even retracting the cylinders is a waste of time, as in short order the grapple will have both fluid types in it. Anyway... That's just my opinion. You could always go down the rabbit hole and contact the manufacturer of the oil and see what they say.

I found an MSDS sheet for the Kubota 46HD fluid, and they may stick their neck out and give you an answer (but probably not).

Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation 701 Port Rd.
Jeffersonville, IN. 47130
Telephone: 812-285-8234
Fax: 812-285-8243
Contact Name: Robin Hutchens Email: sds@ilacorp.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

fendley

Equipment
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
I occasionally use my attachments on rental equipment. Mixing fluids has been a concern when I reattach them to mine. So I hook up one line and loosen the fitting on the end of the other line and stick it a bucket. Then operate the controls to flush out the line. Then tighten up the loose end and attach it to my machine. Bit of fluid lost but it’s peace of mind.

No idea on the mixing fluids compatibility question.
I've been considering this scenario (except in reverse). There is a Sunbelt rentals about a mile from work where I can rent all sorts of skid steer attachments for a week at a time. $3-400 per week sure beat buying and storing $10-20K attachments, and they do all the maintenance. The difference in this scenario is they use 64HD fluid instead of 46HD. In this case, the few pints to multiple gallons argument makes sense.

In the case of my tractor to CTL, I'm more worried about the CLT hydraulic fluid not having the friction modifiers that the SUDT contains, for the HST.

But again, that may be a very small amount of dilution.

fendley

Equipment
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
Good luck in getting a definitive answer. Previous discussions (mostly dealing with using neighbors implements) generally agree that the small amount of fluid is of little consequence. Your machines have about 11 and 13 gallon sumps, so a pint or two either way doesn't seem like a big deal.

I suspect even retracting the cylinders is a waste of time, as in short order the grapple will have both fluid types in it. Anyway... That's just my opinion. You could always go down the rabbit hole and contact the manufacturer of the oil and see what they say.

I found an MSDS sheet for the Kubota 46HD fluid, and they may stick their neck out and give you an answer (but probably not).

Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation 701 Port Rd.
Jeffersonville, IN. 47130
Telephone: 812-285-8234
Fax: 812-285-8243
Contact Name: Robin Hutchens Email: sds@ilacorp.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for the info! I have sent an email with the question on the intermixing of the fluids to that email. I'll let everyone here know if I get a response.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I run many different hydraulically actuated implements and once in a while borrow some if needed and I never give a thought to cross contamination from foreign fluid. Never been an issue in 20 odd years now. The miniscule amount of fluid in cylinders cannot degrade the fluid you have in your tractor, the ratio is way too small.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I would just add if it is a rental piece of equipment, you really do not know what fluid the last guy was using...regardless of what fluid the place you are renting from uses...

fendley

Equipment
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
I would just add if it is a rental piece of equipment, you really do not know what fluid the last guy was using...regardless of what fluid the place you are renting from uses...
True, but the majority of the attachments go out connected to one of their skid steers so most (not all) of the fluid is the 64HD.

But it is probably not a concern.

fendley

Equipment
Dec 31, 2016
St Marys, GA, USA
That became a moot point. After half an hour trying to get me grapple on to the CLT (measure the QA, measure the backplate - yes it is the right size, repeat) I discovered that the hydraulic cylinder for the QA locks on the CLT hits 3 of the tines of the back of the grapple. So this grapple physically will not fit on my CLT.

so I guess there won't be any mixing of the fluids between the CLT and tractor.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I would say the UDT can be mixed in with the 46HD machine whereas the other way around, not so much. One is a hydraulic fluid whereas another is a hydraulic fluid with special additives.

Whether or not the SVL can take it, Im not sure. Im surprised it doesnt have UDT actually.