Cold transmission oil

Swando

Equipment
Kubota L3301 tractor
Mar 3, 2017
Fairfield, Idaho
I own a l3301 with the HST transmission. When the transmission oil is cold (25 degrees) the engine tries to stall if you don't give it warm up time. Is this stalling caused by a safety switch or just cold oil?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I own a l3301 with the HST transmission. When the transmission oil is cold (25 degrees) the engine tries to stall if you don't give it warm up time. Is this stalling caused by a safety switch or just cold oil?
Stall....as in you try to move? OR letting off a clutch?(if it has one)Or just idling? or ? You trying to move in high gear right off?

What (hydraulic) oil is in it?
When was filter changed?
YOU treat your diesel? Algae problem?

Safety switch is going to be good/bad - rarely in between.

Explain what is going on, if so- how is it different in warm weather?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
There are several possibilities of what is happening. Since you mention cold temperatures it is possibly related to cold fuel as well as cold hydraulic fluid. Try adding some Power Service Diesel Kleen (White Bottle) to the fuel and run it. Cold hydraulic fluid by itself should not be causing any problem such as what you are describing but a clogged fuel filter with cold diesel running through it along with cold hydraulic fluid probably act the way that you describe.

However, it is possible that more is going on. You did not mention if it starts acting normal after the engine is at normal operating temperatures. Also, you might tell us if maintenance is up to date and how many hours you have on the meter. There are really too many factors that can affect how your engine is running. We need a little more information before we can help you look for the problem.

Swando

Equipment
Kubota L3301 tractor
Mar 3, 2017
Fairfield, Idaho
Thanks for all the information and suggestions. I usually warm tractor in the shed. Recently I start and roll forward about 40 feet then allow warm up. That's when I noticed the slight engine hesitation if I push to hard in the HST pedal. Running summer diesel but have added power service. Seat switch is sensitive and I was moving around looking at implement on both occasions. Problem hasn't happened again.
Thanks, Doug

NBKubota

Equipment
2650HSDC
Aug 3, 2017
New Brunswick
^ Would pulling it ahead slowly to get out of the garage be ok? Just don't want it building up exhaust fumes, even with the door open.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
^ Would pulling it ahead slowly to get out of the garage be ok? Just don't want it building up exhaust fumes, even with the door open.

I hope so since that is what I do, essentially. I start it at idle, and inch up to half max. Hop off and open or close 2 gates as needed. Drive it out and park it in front of barn where I can start filling up the bucket by dumping the carts into it. By the time that's done the temp gauge has started to inch up. I think what it means is not to ram it full speed into a pile of gravel and try to lift the max until warmed up.

NBKubota

Equipment
2650HSDC
Aug 3, 2017
New Brunswick
^ OK gotcha, thanks for that. Makes sense, just had me a bit worried I was doing some harm by moving it lol...