Clutch stopped working for a while

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I was reversing to hook up the trailer earlier and when I pressed the clutch the tractor kept driving. It happened a couple more times after that but then it just fixed itself. I'm confused. L3450 GST

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I was reversing to hook up the trailer earlier and when I pressed the clutch the tractor kept driving. It happened a couple more times after that but then it just fixed itself. I'm confused. L3450 GST
Assuming you pressed the foot clutch, check the linkage and adjustment.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Agree with PoTreeBoy. If that doesn’t get you anywhere, might consider the possibility the clutch is sticking.

I have zero experience with that model tractor. Grew up running my Dad’s old Ford that had a clutch that would stick semi-routinely. Push the clutch and if it had a nominal load on it, it would keep going. Hit the brake(s) while keeping the clutch depressed and it would break loose and stop with no problem. Of course if it was under a load, it didn’t stick. Worst part was if it stuck when it wasn’t moving there was no way to get it in gear without breaking the clutch loose. Fortunately the hydraulic pump was on the transmission side of the clutch so if you ran the 3 point all the way up while holding the clutch pedal down, it would break loose when it maxed out at the top.

If that’s what it is, I’d tell you how to fix it, but I have no clue. Ran it that way for around 20 years and it mysteriously stopped sticking.

Of course if you hit the clutch and brake and it still doesn’t stop that sounds pretty dangerous so hopefully it isn’t doing that.

Last edited:

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Clutches stick due to the disc absorbing moisture and rusting them to the flywheel and pressure plate. A quick gentle slip will clean the surfaces.... NOT until you smell it or have smoke pouring out of the bell housing. To prevent it from sticking when parked, cut a wood block to hold the clutch down when not in use. Mine is always parked with the clutch "blocked".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Thanks guys. I'll have a look at the adjustment but I think the block sounds like a great idea too