Clearing snow. Kubota, quad with plow, or snow blower. Go

dsmiley

Equipment
BX25
Dec 15, 2011
Augusta, ME
What does everyone prefer? First time today clearing snow with my tractor not sure if I like it more than plow or snow blower

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
Getting back to the OP's question, I don't believe it's an either/or situation; it depends on your circumstances like how much snow you get a winter, kind of surface being cleared, do you have room for snow piles, or do you have to deal with drifts and snowplow windrows.
I clear about 300' of gravel driveways so I like to use the FEL with a pipe on the cutting edge until the ground freezes. Then I wait for a storm of 8" or more before I put the blower on. There are advantages for both methods. Last year was really light and the blower never got mounted.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Wouldn't have thought of using a pipe as the cutting edge - great idea to avoid scalping the gravel.

We're getting a fresh dump of about 8" of powder right now. I think I'll be plugging in the Kubota in prep for a noon-hour assault on the driveway. Heck, I will likely do my two neighbors driveways as well. At least one of them has to get out this afternoon to go to work...

rockerin

Equipment
Kubota 2620 HST 2013
Sep 9, 2013
Ontario canada
I have tried rear blade, FEL and now rear snow blower. My B2620 has chains on on wheels and weighted rear tires.
By far the best combination is a FEL and rear blower. A rear blade reversed plows snow just fine but makes it hard to keep a road open in an area with lots of snow.Ontario Canada .
The FEL is great to move snow in float position and to move wet or ice crusted snow but is tedious if you get a lot of snow.
My new Kubota rear 5 foot snow blower made in Canada does the best and fastest job.
I have a 900 foot gravel drive , hilly and in the woods. It takes an hour to blow it out . No pushing back the banks that was required with the blade.
So having wondered what to buy initially , all of the above will do the job, the blower does the job the most efficiently and I still have the FEL in case of heavy snow or a bad ice storm.

An ATV with a drive and location that I have wouldn't do the job.

Good luck . The photo shows snow cleaned up with the FEL following a heavy ice and snow storm.

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I plowed a driveway a while back,lots of snow and nowhere to put it except fo pile it at the end of 100 foot driveway. Narrow and obstacles everywhere.
A blower would be the ticket there.
I plowed for a couple hours yesterday,and more in the forecast. May have to drag blower out after that.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
After yesterday's experience with my 2650 and the attachemnts, I'll say its easier to use the snowblower if you can, but if its too heavy, you need a blade. So the answer is both.

ATV's are for girls. :D

kris77

Jun 9, 2016
CA
Not sure about which is better. But for me, it would have taken HOURS to clear my driveway with the loader or even a plow on the front of the tractor. About 4 or 5 passes on my driveway with the ATV plow and i was good. My neighbor used to plow the driveway with his rear blade. It did a good job of getting the bulk out of the way, but the snow plow i have for the ATV makes a nice clean job. And i actually think its faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZB2cxNrhtA

Now in snow this deep, it was a little under powered and i could have used the tractor to clear it first, but i wanted to see if she could handle it...haha

Last edited:

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Not sure about which is better. But for me, it would have taken HOURS to clear my driveway with the loader or even a plow on the front of the tractor. About 4 or 5 passes on my driveway with the ATV plow and i was good. My neighbor used to plow the driveway with his rear blade. It did a good job of getting the bulk out of the way, but the snow plow i have for the ATV makes a nice clean job. And i actually think its faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZB2cxNrhtA

Now in snow this deep, it was a little under powered and i could have used the tractor to clear it first, but i wanted to see if she could handle it...haha
HAHA Thats a great video! What do you have Go Pro? I used to plow my road with an ATV years ago. It worked well in light snow, and was cost efficient. (I have a 750)I just had to get dressed up in my ski outfit, goggles, helmet and all!

neiltpsn

Oct 3, 2015
AB
I totally agree with the previous guy.
Front Blower ,it doesn't get any better .
Blades are ok when you have plenty area to push the snow too and you don't get much snow , but living in Alberta where it happens to snow lots you have to have a front Blower .
Over the years I have tried them all and none come close.
Cheers
Neil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Why limit yourself to just one blower? :p