Chevy PS Gearbox Question

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Got an old '81 Chevy pasture truck never gets off the place just use it as a big wheelbarrow to bang around between pastures.

Seems to have a PS gearbox leak at the seal where the (what's it called? The input shaft from the steering wheel?) shaft enters the box.

Looks like a PiA to replace the seal and a different and more expensive PiA to replace entire gear box. Besides, a replacement gearbox would probably double the value of the truck.

Anybody ever run a heavier oil in their (or this particular) PS system? I'm thinking a heavier oil might not leak out so fast past the bad seal. And the PS pump probably doesn't care what it pumps, within reason.

All suggestions, experiences, ideas, thoughts, and considerations greatly appreciated.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
No idea; no experience with (working on) power steering. However, the little experience I have with hydraulics makes me concerned about increasing the viscosity very much. Certain kinds of pumps (like screw pumps) may handle that okay, but light pumps would have trouble.

Also, I believe the higher pressure would blow out that bad seal pretty quickly.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Had that problem on quite a few old Chevys over the years.
Drain all fluid out of it and replace it with type F trans fluid, works 90% of the time, it's thicker and also formulated a little differ and will slightly soften the seal.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
If i recall, its an o ring that fails. But it comes in a seal/bearing kit. Not an easy task. Mark steering box and cartridge and count number of turns when removing. A little tough in the truck but can be done. I has a box here, but cant find it. Was going to knock it apart so you could see what you are getting into.
An additive called ATP AT205 is a great seal/rubber softener, have used it in transmissions, crankcases, power steering and hydraulic systems.
If it doesent cure it nothing will.