check hydraulic fluid

springfarm

Equipment
BX23,fel, bh, L4150, blade
Jul 31, 2018
Fredericksburg, Va.
I am new here and have BX23. Checking hydraulic fluid should engine be running? Should fluid be hot or cold?

I lost fluid because a vine pulled the rear wheel bearing cover out.

Thanks for any advice.

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1982 B7100HST-DT, RC60-71H MMM, 5ft. back blade
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
I check my B7100 hydraulics with engine off, fluid cold. I'd have to check my manual to be sure I'm doing it right, but so far I've had no issues with that method.

Edit: I checked the operators manual for your tractor and it's under a WARNING to have the engine shut OFF before checking the hydraulic fluid level. I didn't notice anything stating whether the fluid should be hot or cold, so I would experiment with both. Check it when cold first, then operate as needed, then shut down, and check it again to see what its at.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I believe cold, not running.

Hydraulic fluid can be VERY hot, so I'd avoid that.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hydraulic fluid is checked with the tractor level, off, and cold. ;)

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Hydraulic fluid is checked with the tractor level, off, and cold. ;)
Welcome Springfarm!
As NIW stated, that level thing is what assures you are oriented the same every time. I actually go to the trouble of placing a 2 ft level on fender or wherever, and level machine in two directions before checking oil and hydro. If you happen to have a nice concrete slab that's good, but not everyone has that.

Last edited:

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I always put my loader and implements on the ground when checking hydraulic fluid too.

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
I always put my loader and implements on the ground when checking hydraulic fluid too.
I too would like comments on this fine point. I have never tried to do a EXACT measurement to see if cylinder makes a substantial difference. I just assumed that fluid does not go into a cylinder somewhere unless it comes out of same cylinder somewhere else, which is probably dead wrong thereby causing no real effect on hydro level in reservoir(s).

Last edited: