Change fuel filters

BruceMyers48

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, 6' Boxblade, 6' Mower
Nov 9, 2014
Zephyrhills, FL USA
Do I have to bleed the system after changing the water separator filter and spin on fuel filter. I would usually fill the filters up and replace. Thanks for the advice

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
It is best not to pre-fill filters, as the fuel (and any contaminates) that you pour into the filter does not pass through the filter before going to the pump, this will cause premature wear to the injection pump if done on a regular basis.

Reactions: 1 users

BruceMyers48

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, 6' Boxblade, 6' Mower
Nov 9, 2014
Zephyrhills, FL USA
It is best not to pre-fill filters, as the fuel (and any contaminates) that you pour into the filter does not pass through the filter before going to the pump, this will cause premature wear to the injection pump if done on a regular basis.
It's a Kubota L3901, I will take your advice. When I open the bleeder valve how long should I turn the key on for to get fuel in the filters. thanks

VaGlock

Equipment
B2601 FEL - BH
Jun 28, 2020
Central Va.
It's a Kubota L3901, I will take your advice. When I open the bleeder valve how long should I turn the key on for to get fuel in the filters. thanks
I am not sure how the L3901 filter is set up, I believe that once you open the bleed valve all the air will be pushed out and when you get a full stream you should be good to go. Start engine and let it idle a few minutes to be sure it is running smoothly.
I rebuilt Caterpillar fuel injection pumps for over 30 years and have seen what just A little bit of contamination will do to the newer close tolerance pumps especially after the feds made the reduction of sulfur in diesel fuel.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Loosen the 10mm headed bleeder on the spin on filter housing about 3 turns, turn the Key switch to the Run position, and leave it for a minute or two. Close the bleeder and start the engine. It is going to crank longer than normal to start.