Chains?

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
Hello everyone. I have a new BX1870 with turf tires. I'll be clearing snow with it and the front bucket this winter. (I know, not ideal and a blower would be the way to go but it wasn't in the budget.) For those of you in the BX line, am I going to need chains? If so, front? Back? Both? Or will the 4-wheel keep me out of trouble?

My driveway is 180' long, no major hills, except a slight rise up to the garage. We do get a substantial amount of snow each winter, being in the snow belt directly off Lake Erie.

Thanks in advance.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Based on my experience with the same tractor and tires, I think you'll be ok without chains. It'll help to have some weight on the 3ph, so I rear blade would be a good complement to the front bucket. Or if you have a box blade, that can help too, especially for pulling snow away from garage doors.

Is your driveway asphalt? Gravel?

On fairly flat ground, chains should only be needed if you get glare ice. So partial thaws followed by refreezing on areas that weren't fully cleared or that don't drain well might leave you looking for that extra traction.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
If you read back through some of my threads/posts you will see some discussion on this subject. I have ATV chains that fit the front of my B2650 instead of spending $$$ on rear chains. This will be my first winter with this machine so time will tell if it will work. I have the R4 tires which should be good with 4wd but there are times when a bit more traction is desired if the drive ices up.

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
I have turf tires on my B2650 and have never had a problem in snow, although it is a bit heavier than your BX so there may be a difference in performance between the two. I looked into rubber tire chains as I have pavement but decided that I didn't need them after trying going without. Ice on the other hand is a problem so if you have dirt/gravel and expect ice, you might want to consider getting chains.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
I dont think you'll need chains. I clear about 300' of snow on flat gravel ground, without chains. I do have the R4s but read turfs have better traction, go figure. Also hook up rear blade used with bucket, front plow or snowblower depending on whats needed.

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
I have turf tires on my B2650 and have never had a problem in snow, although it is a bit heavier than your BX so there may be a difference in performance between the two. I looked into rubber tire chains as I have pavement but decided that I didn't need them after trying going without. Ice on the other hand is a problem so if you have dirt/gravel and expect ice, you might want to consider getting chains.
I do get ice periodically, when the 3-4" hard pack melt then re-freezes. I can foresee this being a problem.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I asked my dealer what he suggested on ice/snow and this is exactly he told me.
Hmmm....would have been nice for my dealer to tell me this. I can plow just fine. My lawn would just look better in the spring if I had turfs. Or so I think.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
There are so many variables! Doing your own flat driveway I would think you would be ok without chains 99% of the time. Loaders generally do not excel at fast snow removal, but if you can spend a little more time plowing they are quite versatile. Anyway... with a loader on gravel, take a serious look at "Edge Tamers" that clamp on to the leading edge of the bucket. They are awesome (and inexpensive).

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Think turfs will be fine. Trouble on the ice? Sprinkle some sand/gravel that you stashed in the garage before winter set in.
My choice would be a rear blade.both ends can do the work. I see it saving a lot of time if its doing someting when reversing.

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
Thank you everyone, for your thoughts. I'm actually looking forward to being out there moving snow, though I know its going to take me a considerable amount more time than it did with my blower...I just don't want to get stuck. But I'm enjoying the heck out of this machine and looking forward to the challenge.

brimar

Equipment
bx 1870 48" mmm fel
Oct 5, 2014
lancaster PA
I have a 1870 with turfs ,I have no problems with snow. I bought chains and only use them in ice or snow over about 8-10". I also use the loader bucket.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Hello everyone. I have a new BX1870 with turf tires. I'll be clearing snow with it and the front bucket this winter. (I know, not ideal and a blower would be the way to go but it wasn't in the budget.) For those of you in the BX line, am I going to need chains? If so, front? Back? Both? Or will the 4-wheel keep me out of trouble?

My driveway is 180' long, no major hills, except a slight rise up to the garage. We do get a substantial amount of snow each winter, being in the snow belt directly off Lake Erie.

Thanks in advance.
I am close to you in NE Ohio, right in the heart of the snow belt. I do all of my snow plowing at home and some of the neighbors, using my B2650, with turf tires and the front bucket. It works great and have never had a traction problem.

View attachment 31427

Last edited:

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
We get a bit of snow and ice here in N Idaho. My property is fairly flat, but I had the same worries with my BX. I purchased chains ($89.00) for the rear, and they are still New in the Box. It is piece of mind having them though. I plow a 450' driveway 15' wide and the 1,000' private road out to pavement. I find keeping the rear light ( no backhoe or attachments) keeps it going straighter as there's more front downforce.

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
I am close to you in NE Ohio, right in the heart of the snow belt. I do all of my snow plowing at home and some of the neighbors, using my B2650, with turf tires and the front bucket. It works great and have never had a traction problem.

View attachment 31427
Ha, then you know full when what kind of snow I'm dealing with lol. I'm in the "belt" as well, about 4-5 miles south of I-90. Thanks for sharing this, good to know.

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
We get a bit of snow and ice here in N Idaho. My property is fairly flat, but I had the same worries with my BX. I purchased chains ($89.00) for the rear, and they are still New in the Box. It is piece of mind having them though. I plow a 450' driveway 15' wide and the 1,000' private road out to pavement. I find keeping the rear light ( no backhoe or attachments) keeps it going straighter as there's more front downforce.
Thanks bearskinner.