Can't identify part that fell off tractor.

Frostbyte

Equipment
B7800HSD
Jun 20, 2017
Chesapeake VA
I have a B7800HSD. A black rubber cap fell off it and was laying on the ground. I can't find where it came from. It's soft rubber approx. 3 inches in diameter, it has an air hole in it and the side that would be facing the machine has concentric rings of rubber with staggered gaps in the rings. There's a flat flange around the outer edge where it obviously would attach to where ever it attaches. It had hydraulic/transmission fluid on it, quite a bit in fact. I'm thinking that it goes where it can allow air to breath and the reason for the staggered gaps in the rings is to allow air flow while keeping larger particles out.

Any help anyone can give me in solving this puzzle would be greatly appreciated.

Edited to include photos of rubber cap that fell off. As of 05 July 2017 no one has been able to help me solve this yet.

EDIT- TractorMac solved the mystery!

Attachments

Last edited:

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
I have a B7800HSD. A black rubber cap fell off it and was laying on the ground. I can't find where it came from. It's soft rubber approx. 3 inches in diameter, it has an air hole in it and the side that would be facing the machine has concentric rings of rubber with staggered gaps in the rings. There's a flat flange around the outer edge where it obviously would attach to where ever it attaches. It had hydraulic/transmission fluid on it, quite a bit in fact. I'm thinking that it goes where it can allow air to breath and the reason for the staggered gaps in the rings is to allow air flow while keeping larger particles out.

Any help anyone can give me in solving this puzzle would be greatly appreciated.

Look under the seat area. If I remember correctly there is a breather hole with a cap located there on some models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frostbyte

Equipment
B7800HSD
Jun 20, 2017
Chesapeake VA
Clutch / bell housing inspection cap or similar, or access cover in floor or side panels?
Go for a look at the kubota parts page of exploded diagrams and see what you can find.
http://www.kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx
I was thinking it's an inspection cap or something to allow air pressure equalization too. I pored over those parts diagrams and couldn't see anything that looked like the part that fell off.

I'm a little concerned about this cap because while it's clearly designed to allow unfiltered air movement the staggered gaps in the underside rings seem to indicate that larger particles (or insects, or ...) are meant to be excluded from whatever this covered. I'm thinking at worst the missing cap will allow accelerated wear but considering the cost of these little tractors I don't want anything wearing out prematurely.

Thank you for taking the time to make a suggestion.

Frostbyte

Equipment
B7800HSD
Jun 20, 2017
Chesapeake VA
Look under the seat area. If I remember correctly there is a breather hole with a cap located there on some models.

Thanks, I did look under there, that's where the little tool box for miscellaneous tools and pins is so I took that off to see better what's there. The control for the three point runs along the top of the differential housing but I didn't see anywhere that this rubber cap might have come from.

Thanks for answering me.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

If you have a FEL made by Kubota, the larger ones have rubber caps on some of the joints. 3 on each side of the loader.

Their purpose is to keep dirt out of the joints.

Dave M7040

Frostbyte

Equipment
B7800HSD
Jun 20, 2017
Chesapeake VA
If you have a FEL made by Kubota, the larger ones have rubber caps on some of the joints. 3 on each side of the loader.

Their purpose is to keep dirt out of the joints.

Dave M7040
Thanks Dave, that's similar but not the same cap. I'm going to upload some pics of it, front and back, further down the thread. The "hat" is backwards on the one I have, there is only one flange (what would be the brim of a hat) and it goes into the machine. The thing is fairly soft, I'm thinking it gets bunched up a little and slides in, then expands to stay in place.

Last edited:

Frostbyte

Equipment
B7800HSD
Jun 20, 2017
Chesapeake VA
I still haven't figured out where this thing goes, and thank you all very much for trying to help me.

I do have a FEL but it's not that beefy and doesn't have those caps that Dave posted pics of.

This is what it looks like, see physical description above. The side with the concentric circles is the inside, the side that goes next to the machine and the other side is the outside. The inside had hydraulic/transmission fluid on it (it's a hydrostatic drive so both fluids are actually the same hydraulic fluid). There's a tiny air breather hole in the very center.

My name is Scott, BTW. Frostbyte is what they called me in the Marines because I'm from Minnesota and Rocky and Bullwinkle were from Frostbite Falls MN ...

Attachments

Last edited:

Frostbyte

Equipment
B7800HSD
Jun 20, 2017
Chesapeake VA
No way,, and I thought Bullwinkle was Canadian
Lol, well you learned something new today ...

Here's a map, two actually just to be thorough. Frostbite Falls is just south of Lake of the Woods not far from Baudette:)

Attachments

Last edited:

Frostbyte

Equipment
B7800HSD
Jun 20, 2017
Chesapeake VA
This was my first thought?

Looking at the parts diagrams I thought that might be it too but that part is much smaller. It's only about an inch and a half and it's sort of "upside down" to the way my lost cap appears to attach. My errant part is nearly twice as big around as that one.

Frostbyte

Equipment
B7800HSD
Jun 20, 2017
Chesapeake VA
are you sure it's from that tractor?
could it have come from another piece of equipment or tractor?
Yeah, I thought of that too. The only other piece of equipment it could have come from is the (ancient and dilapidated) finish mower deck currently attached to the tractor. That deck only has lube (90 Wt.) in the transmission gear box and of course grease on the spindles. No place for this thing to fit on there and as it had occurred to me I checked the deck anyway. Not from there ...

Also when I found the cap I had just parked the tractor and it was laying under it. It had fresh hydraulic fluid on it. I had just taken the tractor out of the spot I park it in order to test a three-point hitch tightening-up, it wasn't there when I drove the tractor out and it was there when I brought it back, parked it and got off the tractor. It wasn't there as I was backing into the parking spot either, I'd have surely seen it as I backed up, it had to have fallen off just as I parked.

That would sort of indicate that it came loose from where ever it's supposed to be and rode on the tractor for a while before falling to the ground. I don't think it just popped off as I shut down the tractor and if it had fallen off a couple minutes sooner it would have been in the grass where I probably would never have noticed it. Or not noticed it until it was too late and it went through the mower deck.

So I'm about as certain as I can be that this thing came off the tractor somewhere.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate that you took the time to answer me.

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
Yeah, I thought of that too. The only other piece of equipment it could have come from is the (ancient and dilapidated) finish mower deck currently attached to the tractor. That deck only has lube (90 Wt.) in the transmission gear box and of course grease on the spindles. No place for this thing to fit on there and as it had occurred to me I checked the deck anyway. Not from there ...

Also when I found the cap I had just parked the tractor and it was laying under it. It had fresh hydraulic fluid on it. I had just taken the tractor out of the spot I park it in order to test a three-point hitch tightening-up, it wasn't there when I drove the tractor out and it was there when I brought it back, parked it and got off the tractor. It wasn't there as I was backing into the parking spot either, I'd have surely seen it as I backed up, it had to have fallen off just as I parked.

That would sort of indicate that it came loose from where ever it's supposed to be and rode on the tractor for a while before falling to the ground. I don't think it just popped off as I shut down the tractor and if it had fallen off a couple minutes sooner it would have been in the grass where I probably would never have noticed it. Or not noticed it until it was too late and it went through the mower deck.

So I'm about as certain as I can be that this thing came off the tractor somewhere.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate that you took the time to answer me.
Throw it in the trash.

About an hour after the garbage truck picks up the trash you will find the spot where it belongs.

Frostbyte

Equipment
B7800HSD
Jun 20, 2017
Chesapeake VA
I am betting its a MID-PTO cap. View attachment 29938
I don't think so but that's because it doesn't really look like the drawing. It looks less like the cap over the end of a new tube of grease and more like a flying saucer. However, I went out and looked anyway and I can't find that part of the mechanics on the tractor. I can find the two PTO controls where the levers that engage and disengage the PTO(s) are attached but I didn't see anything that looked exactly like that mid-PTO assembly.

Could you tell me exactly where to look? The I'll know for sure because sometimes those drawings are more representational than they are realistic.