Can't decide on a tractor for the life of me.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
That said, I was looking on FBMP and there must be 20x more used BX's for sale than B's or L's. My thoughts were that there's a lot of BX owners moving up to bigger rigs. I like to overbuild and over own when I do stuff. It didn't take long for me to decide on the B.
But...that BX sure has a lot of stuff to go with it...
There's lots of BXs for sale because there's lots of them sold. I don't necessarily think people underbuy then upgrade. I think people buy them for a smallish block, and then don't use them as much as they thought, or move to a different property that doesn't need a tractor.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
BXs are for sale because nobody upgrades to a BX.

That being said, if it's been maintained fairly well, that's a good deal. Based on what you described, it should do all you want.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
BXs are for sale because nobody upgrades to a BX.
Respectfully, I disagree. I upgraded to a BX (from a ride on mower). Lots of people upgrade to a BX, and lots of people would love to have a BX. Certainly in my part of the world they're quite hard to come by, and when they're for sale at a sensible price they get snapped up. Some people though are trying to sell a 3 year old machine for 5% less than new, and those don't sell well.

When I sold mine, which had been well abused and was quite old, I listed it and an hour later a guy messaged me and asked if he could buy it sight unseen. I explained to him it was pretty beaten up, but he wanted it anyway. I took his money and said obviously I put too low a price on it. He said no, the price was about what they sell for, it's just he had been in the habit of thinking about it too much, and so they'd come up and while he dithered it would sell. So he jumped on it.

I still believe that there are lots of BXs for sale for the simple reason that there are lots of BXes, it's one of the best selling tractors around. Even if people turn over a tractor once every 10 years, if they're selling a boat load of them new, then a boat load of them must eventually turn up on the used market.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Respectfully, I disagree. I upgraded to a BX (from a ride on mower). Lots of people upgrade to a BX, and lots of people would love to have a BX.
Sure, it's possible to consider it an upgrade if you include lawnmowers.

However, in the compact tractor world, the BX is the smallest you can go. The typical path is BX to something larger also with loader, 3 pt, attachments, etc. That makes it not something that people with a compact tractor upgrade to.

You probably know that the BX is even smaller than the JD 1025R.

Of course, I'm not saying that anything is wrong with a BX, but it doesn't change that it's the smallest. That's neither a good thing or bad thing ... just reality.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Probably should leave it there, but I'll do one more go round. Yes, the BX is the smallest "real tractor". But your point was that you thought there were lots for sale because nobody "upgrades" to a BX. But I'd suggest there's a lot more people upgrading from a ride on to a BX than there are from a BX to a B. And in turn fewer going from a B to an L, and fewer from an L to an MX. It's simple maths - the bigger the tractor, the fewer of them are sold.

Reactions: 1 user

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Lots of thoughtful advice for the OP, who unfortunately seems to have wandered off...