Can PTO seal be replaced without removing cover?

sncdoc

Equipment
Kubota B1550HST
Feb 24, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
I just finished trying to fix the rear pto seal leak on my B1550HST by removing the pto housing cover and pulling out the pto shaft. I found that the actual seal (I had a new one) is actually pressed into place from the outside of the housing. I know I could slip a knife blade or something under the metal edge of the seal from outside the housing and pry the seal out. Could I just then press a new seal into the housing and have it seal the pto shaft? My just finished attempt failed because some where along the way, I nicked the rubber seal and now all my hyro fluid is leaking out again. I've done this replacement before when I replaced the rear PTO bearing and had no problems with that repair.

Any one with experience before I just try it with one of the two new seals that I've got ordered?

Doug

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When you install the next seal use a thin piece of plastic to go between the seal and the shaft splines to protect the seal lip while sliding it down the PTO shaft.;)

sncdoc

Equipment
Kubota B1550HST
Feb 24, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
Well guys, looks like the pto seal itself is not the problem. I've replaced the seal using care to not nick the seal edge, done it twice now with 2 new seals and it leaks just as bad as it did originally. I have used the plastic trick suggested when doing the replacements.

What else should I look for to locate the exact problem? I have two more new seals that I can use when the actual cause of the leak is found. There is a tiny space between the seal rubber and the pto shaft where the hydraulic fluid is coming out.

I can think of two things it may be: 1) the pto shaft is worn down (only 400 hours on the tractor), or 2) the pto shaft is not centered (more likely the cause?). The pto shaft turns freely with no tightness or rough feeling, but could it still be the bearing? I did remove the pto shaft in my first (ignorant) attempt to replace the seal, thinking that it had to replaced from inside.

I think my next step will be to disassemble the pto again and make sure all the parts are on the shaft in the correct order and with the correct orientation unless someone else has a better idea.

I need my tractor back operational!

Thanks guys!

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Chances are the shaft stub is rusted or there is a burr on it.

Remove it and use wet/dry paper to polish the stub where the seal rides the stub. Use the shoe shine method.

Start with 400 and move up to 1200 or so grit.

sncdoc

Equipment
Kubota B1550HST
Feb 24, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
There's no visible rust or rough feeling as I rub the shaft. I can see a space between the shaft and the rubber part of the seal so I don't think rust is the problem. Any other ideas? (I'll still check for any rust or roughness though).

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
There's no visible rust or rough feeling as I rub the shaft. I can see a space between the shaft and the rubber part of the seal so I don't think rust is the problem. Any other ideas? (I'll still check for any rust or roughness though).

Well.............

Have you even got the correct seal?

If you can see a space............don't know what to say about that.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Is the space even all the way around the shaft? or is the shaft off center from the seal?

I'm wondering if the bearing is worn?

hillbillyss

Equipment
mower,box blade,bucket,boom lift,post hole digger
Feb 25, 2013
greenville tx.
seal should fit snug around shaft with no space anywhere around. sounds like wrong seal
as in the auto repair world i see this often. make sure shaft does not have side to side play
also. keith

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Did you get the seal by Kubota part#? If so, is it possible that there was a change in the seal used by that model tractor at a serial# break? If so may be you have the wrong one. I have seen this a lot in farm equipment and tractors that some wheres along the way in production they make a small change and there is more than one part # for the model of equipment. Hope you can figure it out without tearing the whole pto apart.

sncdoc

Equipment
Kubota B1550HST
Feb 24, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
I will not be able to examine the pto more closely to see how much space is there and if it is even for a couple of days (doctor appointments take priority), but will on Thursday I hope.

sncdoc

Equipment
Kubota B1550HST
Feb 24, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
Re: Can PTO seal ... Seal leak problem solved!

Well, guys, I found the problem on getting my pto seal to not leak.

Long story short. About 3 years ago, I had to replace the rear pto bearing (caused by my careless setting of lift with implement). It was three or four weeks before I got the correct bearing (and associated parts) so when I put the shaft back together, I forgot to put in the rear screw and washers that holds everything on the shaft. It worked for three years since the gear presses on the shaft so tightly. The drive gear finally worked it way far enough off to start getting the shaft off center in the rear taper bearing.

Now after removing the pto shaft and putting everything back in the proper place, it's all centered and the pto shaft seal works.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments in trying to help me get my tractor back!

Doug