BX25D exhaust pipe - really needed?

joeds

Equipment
L2501, BX25D, Grapple, Box Scraper, finish mower, bush hog, Grading Scraper
Apr 26, 2019
Tennessee
Im just finishing my 200 hour maintenance ordeal. To remove the 2nd fuel filter I had to remove the wrap-around side bonnet, but to do that I had to remove the top bonnet, then finally I had to remove the small 2 inch muffler exhaust pipe extension. Mercy!!!! could it be more involved?

The Exhaust pipe is held on by a stainless pipe clamp, quite difficult to unscrew. Im wondering if anyone has left this little exhaust pipe off? All it appears to do is deflect the exhaust down and back slightly.

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt but it directs the exhaust away from the loader frame. Also there's a few Youtube videos that will show you how to take the shroud off, the hood doesn't need to be removed to do it, essentially there's a short prop rod that holds it up a few inches and you can slide it out the front, can also wiggle it around the exhaust elbow. Still have to take the brushguard off though....all this is about the biggest improvement i see on the BX23s.

JG

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
I had the same problem. Seems as the factory they put it on in a bad location.
Just position the clamp for easy removal.

joeds

Equipment
Apr 26, 2019
Tennessee
I'm just going to leave it off this time and see if it makes that much difference. I dont know if it purpose was to minimize fumes from getting back at the operator or keep smoke from letting on the FEL but reckon Ill find out pretty soon!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You think you have issues, both my M9's have loaders and the loader frames make it impossible to get to the oil and fuel filters. No way you can remove them by grabbing therm with a filter wrench and taking them off. Only way is to punch a screwdriver through them (messy) and use the screwdriver to turn them off. Been doing it that way for years. Used to it. The water seperator is also impossible. You have to remove it from it's bracket to get to it and even removing it from it's bracket is an exercise in cussing.

So, don't matter, big or small they can both be a PITA.

joeds

Equipment
Apr 26, 2019
Tennessee
You think you have issues, both my M9's have loaders and the loader frames make it impossible to get to the oil and fuel filters. No way you can remove them by grabbing therm with a filter wrench and taking them off. Only way is to punch a screwdriver through them (messy) and use the screwdriver to turn them off. Been doing it that way for years. Used to it. The water seperator is also impossible. You have to remove it from it's bracket to get to it and even removing it from it's bracket is an exercise in cussing.

So, don't matter, big or small they can both be a PITA.
Oh wow! Isn't it amazing how the mfrs can design such great equipment with no concept of maintenance. My L2501 is just the opposite. every thing in plain site and easy to get to.

joeds

Equipment
Apr 26, 2019
Tennessee
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt but it directs the exhaust away from the loader frame. Also there's a few Youtube videos that will show you how to take the shroud off, the hood doesn't need to be removed to do it, essentially there's a short prop rod that holds it up a few inches and you can slide it out the front, can also wiggle it around the exhaust elbow. Still have to take the brushguard off though....all this is about the biggest improvement i see on the BX23s.

JG
JG,
Ill admit if I had taken of the brush guard it would have bee easier but I saw i n another video someone taking off the hood and it was super simple. Easier than the bush guard I think. i just leaving the exhaust guard off this time and see how it goes.

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
Thanks for the tip..i never thought of lifting the hood and shroud off...Dont have to raise or remove the loader then either.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
You made this more difficult than it is... =-) the posts above are correct. If anything, only the brush guard needs to be removed. There is also a work around to removing the brush guard by taking the hood off. Personally, I think it’s easier to just take off the brush guard. An impact makes quick work of the brush guard bolts. I found removing the hood to be far more cumbersome.

Once you get that far (either method), the side bonnet will flex enough to get it over the exhaust. If you use the standard method of removing the hood, there is a little plastic loop that extends from your hood latch area to hold the hood a few inches from fully closed. This allows you to slide the side panels towards the front of the tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk