BX25 rebuild

Quokka49

Equipment
BX25 FEL,Slasher,midmount mower-deck, Backhoe, post hole digger
Nov 19, 2014
Australia
W
Finally back on line. Thanks to Dusty &Co was able to get my BX25 started.
Now I’m moving to the next step. Problem #2 - Tractor runs, pumps hydraulic fluid because I forgot to reconnect a hose and nearly drowned in the stuff. All hydraulics now connected. Hydraulic oil topped up. Tractor running at med-high revs, can see pressure in hose from movement, but nothing moves. What are the lever/pedal positions to enable testing of boom & 4-in-1 bucket? I have workshop manual but have not been able to identify a solution.

Problem#3- rear wheels are off ground on jack stands. 2-4wd lever is in position A (2wd). Brake off, depress fwd pedal, instant stop!

Hopefully you guys have previously solved these problems before. Very Grateful for any hints/ solutions. - Cheers Q

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Problem #3 is probably that you are not sitting in the seat!

There is probably a safety switch aka operator presence indicator that shows that the operator is in the safest place (the seat) to let the tractor move.

Since your title has the word “rebuild“ in it I assume that means you have taken a lot of parts (like the seat?) off the tractor

Quokka49

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Australia
Problem #3 is probably that you are not sitting in the seat!

There is probably a safety switch aka operator presence indicator that shows that the operator is in the safest place (the seat) to let the tractor move.

Since your title has the word “rebuild“ in it I assume that means you have taken a lot of parts (like the seat?) off the tractor
Yeh, Thanks Russell, All safety switches are clamped down.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I believe that your hydraulic problem might be the hoses and where they are going. I had a similar problem with my BX22 every spring when I put the loader back on and the snowblower hitch off. I had to learn what hoses when to where. I resolved the problem with different colors of electrical tape and color-coded everything. You are just going to need to figure it out using the workshop manual and diagrams. Keep in mind that your tractor isn't identical to the tractors that were sold in Australia, so you might have to find an Australian version of the workshop manual. If you have a dealer, possibly you can get him to download the manual to a memory stick that you bring with you. The 4-way bucket isn't available from Kubota in the States, but you can purchase a Land Pride 4-way bucket for the BX23S as an aftermarket item.
Please post some pictures of our distant cousin BX25 Australian version.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
W
Finally back on line. Thanks to Dusty &Co was able to get my BX25 started.
Now I’m moving to the next step. Problem #2 - Tractor runs, pumps hydraulic fluid because I forgot to reconnect a hose and nearly drowned in the stuff. All hydraulics now connected. Hydraulic oil topped up. Tractor running at med-high revs, can see pressure in hose from movement, but nothing moves. What are the lever/pedal positions to enable testing of boom & 4-in-1 bucket? I have workshop manual but have not been able to identify a solution.

Problem#3- rear wheels are off ground on jack stands. 2-4wd lever is in position A (2wd). Brake off, depress fwd pedal, instant stop!

Hopefully you guys have previously solved these problems before. Very Grateful for any hints/ solutions. - Cheers Q
A 4-in 1 bucket on a loader with only 992 lb. breakout force?
How much does that 4-in 1 bucket weigh empty?

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is important to read and understand the very first post. 'Then check where the person is from, and you will learn a lot about Kubota tractors around the world. They also had a great grass bagger system that would elevate and then dump the clippings. It wasn't available in the States. It appears to me that Kubota USA doesn't want to give US Citizens all the bells and whistles that are available on the other side of the pond.

Quokka49

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Australia
A 4-in 1 bucket on a loader with only 992 lb. breakout force?
How much does that 4-in 1 bucket weigh empty?
Not sure about the weight, but it’s built by a local manufacturer Tinks in Kinglake, Victoria. It works a treat, on gravel, road base clay & biggish rocks up to about a a yard.

Quokka49

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Australia
I believe that your hydraulic problem might be the hoses and where they are going. I had a similar problem with my BX22 every spring when I put the loader back on and the snowblower hitch off. I had to learn what hoses when to where. I resolved the problem with different colors of electrical tape and color-coded everything. You are just going to need to figure it out using the workshop manual and diagrams. Keep in mind that your tractor isn't identical to the tractors that were sold in Australia, so you might have to find an Australian version of the workshop manual. If you have a dealer, possibly you can get him to download the manual to a memory stick that you bring with you. The 4-way bucket isn't available from Kubota in the States, but you can purchase a Land Pride 4-way bucket for the BX23S as an aftermarket item.
Thanks DustyRusty, the BX25 I have, is US manufactured & I believe fully imported. I got the workshop manual from local Kubota on Disc and have downloaded a parts manual from the web. Thanks for the detailed response, but I don’t think it’s my Solution. I only disconnected the backhoe and not the bucket. I’m pretty sure that I’m getting hydraulic pressure, because the loose hose unconnected from implement but stoppered, jumps when the engine fires up. Will send some pics later today or tomorrow morning.

Quokka49

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Australia

Quokka49

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Australia
10,000 Apologies DustyRusty!!! I realised that because I do not have the backhoe connected, hydraulic system thinks there isn’t a circuit. Plugged my disconnected outlet hose into the inlet on the tractor & whacko it’s doing all the hydraulic things a bucket should!

now back to problem #2: All safety switches are closed with clamps, tractor starts and hydraulics are working, brake is off. But, when I press fwd or reverse pedals, not surprisingly as soon as HST switch begins to release everything stops. I think l have the balance adjustment set up ok, so at this point I need another of your most welcome suggestions. Sorry forgot take my phone down for pics..

I have to go to Sydney tomorrow 500 odd miles for about a week. My wife’s sister has passed after a long battle with cancer and the funeral is next week. Petrol & wear and tear on the car is still considerably less than a couple of return airfares. Talk to you soon. - Cheers Q

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I believe that what you are referring to is the hydrostatic drive pedal. If you push on the forward section of the pedal, the tractor moves forward, and when you release pressure on the pedal the tractor stops. That is the way it is designed. The hydrostat transmission is also the braking system on the BXtractors. They also have a brake pedal however, that is more for parking than anything else. If you were headed downhill, and the hydrostatic pedal was released, the tractor might slow somewhat, and you could use the brake pedal to reduce your speed, however, if you had a bucket full of soil you might not be able to stop it unless you dropped your bucket and it became the brake. Traversing hills with a BX can become a scary experience, so best to make sure that you are in the slow mode on the selector, and your hand on the bucket lever. Hope that this answers your question.

Quokka49

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Australia
Hey there DustyRusty, Well many thanks for your help & advice. The trusty beast is almost fully operational again. Got a few minor issues to resolve including reattaching the base, seat, safety switches, ROPS and backhoe etc. Been a major undertaking I have to admit. Have included some old & recent pics and the bucket capacity from the manufacturers manual. Hope they are of some interest. Cheers Q
IMG_0670.jpeg
IMG_0675.jpeg
IMG_0679.jpeg
D9FDEE6C-7E92-4FD5-BB36-70205B6A9031.jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_0679.jpeg
DSC_0051.jpeg
DSC_0011.jpeg

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
That is looking good. When you are all done with the repairs slap some fresh orange paint on that bucket and it will look like new. Hell, if you pressure wash all the mud off of the tractor and do some touch-up painting you can pass that machine off as a low-hour virgin, never-been-abused tractor. All the decals are still available, albeit a little on the expensive side.