BX25 Pat's Quick Change and Top Link

Colety

Equipment
BX25D-R with loaded tires, pallet forks, landscape rake and rear blade.
Jul 11, 2014
Arlington, VT
So I installed Pat's and of course now I have an implement that my top link won't reach. (Woods 60" landscape rake) No big deal, order up a county line longer cat 1 top link and guess what, it doesn't fit in the yoke for the top link on the tractor side, too wide. So, who has actually replaced the standard BX25 top link with a longer one and where did you get it? Part number maybe? Don't want to end up with a stack of parts that don't work. Needs to be about 22" to 24" inches, even a little longer would allow more angle adjustment.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You could also just grind down the collar on the link to make it fit. ;)

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
So I installed Pat's and of course now I have an implement that my top link won't reach. (Woods 60" landscape rake) No big deal, order up a county line longer cat 1 top link and guess what, it doesn't fit in the yoke for the top link on the tractor side, too wide. So, who has actually replaced the standard BX25 top link with a longer one and where did you get it? Part number maybe? Don't want to end up with a stack of parts that don't work. Needs to be about 22" to 24" inches, even a little longer would allow more angle adjustment.
I had the same problem. I bought a longer top link and it didn't fit width-wise.
I will just be grinding the yoke down as someone else mentioned.

I would say max of 1/8" on each side

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You might try to make a "Frankenstein" from the original and the longer one.

See if the threaded rod from the original have the same thread as the new.

If they are you might be able to get them apart (there is probably some pins retaining them into the tube) and use the longer tube with the original threaded sections.

Colety

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Arlington, VT
Correct me if I am wrong, you would grind the width of the top pin itself, not the actual yoke on the tractor right?

I had the same problem. I bought a longer top link and it didn't fit width-wise.
I will just be grinding the yoke down as someone else mentioned.

I would say max of 1/8" on each side

Colety

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Arlington, VT
Does strike me as odd, no one jumps in and says oh yea go here and order this. Can our beloved little BX be that orphaned that no one makes a part to deal with this?

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Does strike me as odd, no one jumps in and says oh yea go here and order this. Can our beloved little BX be that orphaned that no one makes a part to deal with this?
Kubota BX and B model tractors use a 1 9/16 wide ball swivel for the tractor end of the top link. To the best of my knowledge, there is no after market unit that comes with that width ball swivel. All std cat 1 units are 1 3/4" wide. This is mainly a Kubota thing having the narrow end at the tractor.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Correct me if I am wrong, you would grind the width of the top pin itself, not the actual yoke on the tractor right?
Yes the ball on the top link, not the tractor side. ;)

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Take it to a welding shop. Have them cut either end and insert a rod of your length choice and weld. A very simple job, takes maybe 15 minutes at the most.

Colety

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Arlington, VT
Ground the width to 1.65 and all is good to go again. Thanks all for the suggestions.

BX23D

Equipment
BX23TLB, box scraper, 3pth 5' LP rake, JRW 53" 3pth snowblower, MMM
Mar 28, 2014
Belleville, ON Canada
This is interesting as I have a pat's easy change on a BX23 and have not run out of top link length on any of my 3ph implements, snow blower, box blade and Land Pride 60" rake.
Wonder what's different BX23 to 25.

Colety

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Arlington, VT
This is interesting as I have a pat's easy change on a BX23 and have not run out of top link length on any of my 3ph implements, snow blower, box blade and Land Pride 60" rake.
Wonder what's different BX23 to 25.
It might not even be the tractor, could be a change in length in the top link pin itself from your installation to mine?

Colety

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Arlington, VT
It might not even be the tractor, could be a change in length in the top link pin itself from your installation to mine?
I could make it reach, I just don't like the angle it holds it at.