Bx25 HST fan blade - just 1 blade off

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Underwhere, your criticism of the design and function of the cooling fan is understandable, however remember the smaller the machine the less space for all the functions one might wish for.

Perhaps the design of the fan is made to be the weak link, just to protect the hydro pump. Make that fan out of some "tougher" material that won't break and then what will break when you operate it unprotected?

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
One would think, if hydro temp was so important, why is there no temp gauge?

My theory is, the (poorly) designed fan is for the extreme environment that maybe 5% of users will actually experience, and that for 95% of us, the fan is completely useless, all of the time.

Someday, when I get bored & have lots of free time, I will install a hydro temp gauge, and remove the fan, and watch the results.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I had to change the fan belt on my BX25D. The too, required disconnecting the very same drive shaft. Hardest part was getting the belt around the radiator fan. I cannot fathom the cooling fan is more than a two hour job for a person who has never done it before and probably an hour job for a person who has done a few. I've not broken mine yet and I also have had and keep on a BXExpanded plate, I had the plate prior to the delivery of the tractor.
An expanded metal screen would eliminate most broken fans.
Perhaps rubber blades that flex or steel that would shred most sticks. Imagine a two piece fan that only needed bolts removed to take off a left and right half. Anyone tried cutting a stock fan in two? Can you cut off a broken fan and put on a two part one?:confused:

My Sears Craftsman has a similar fan, but belt driven and a single bolt. I trashed it the first year I had garden tractor. I bought five replacements assuming this would be common. Now 19 years later, I still have four spares.:p

Funny story. One day, I was riding around on the garden tractor, mulching leaves. Some sticks on the ground. I was thinking, what if one of those goes up and screws up the trans. Right then and there., the tractor stop going forward. Crap. Slogged back tot eh garage. Got a wheel barrow, put the jack in it, some plywood to lay on, tools. I jack it up, pul off a rear wheel, only to find a twig stuffed into the mechanism that permits freewheeling (there is a pin that extends out from the back of the tractor you pull on and insert a clip in to enable it. I pull out the twig and all is right with the world. Nerxt time you say to yourself "You know, if I had bad luck this could happen", stop and resolve it.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
My B7100 doesn't have a separate fan, it has a cooler in front of the radiator instead. I wonder if a tranny cooler could be retrofitted and eliminate the need for the troublesome BX HST fan altogether?

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
My B7100 doesn't have a separate fan, it has a cooler in front of the radiator instead. I wonder if a tranny cooler could be retrofitted and eliminate the need for the troublesome BX HST fan altogether?
I suspect it was not done that way on the BX because it was not as critical and there simply is no space. I know a few guys have added one. IIRC, one did an on fender setup with a filter beside it. IMHO, it was one more exposed thing to get trashed.
I know Paul Short did a neat fuel filter but it too, was one more thing even protected, to be possibly damaged by accident. Not that I'd be real tempted to get one....

Last edited:

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
Ultimately this needs a bit of research to figure out ideal temps and the effectiveness of the fan.

Once that's determined we can figure out alternatives and decide whether there's actually a need for them.

I like the idea of a tranny cooler but as mentioned space is tight.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I think Undies should knock this out... you may need to know for the future anyways, I think prob 2-3 hours of your time...
remove rops (few bolts)
remove seat (one pin)
remove the foot deck and rear fenders (few bolts)

you'll have all the space in the world to comfortably clean, get to learn your tractor, and swap out the $6.00 fan.

im making the assumption your BX has the spacer coupler in the front, if it doesnt you need to lift the engine a few inches, and i would say run with the missing fan blade lol

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=342363&postcount=10

Last edited:

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
I think Undies should knock this out... you may need to know for the future anyways, I think prob 2-3 hours of your time...
remove rops (few bolts)
remove seat (one pin)
remove the food deck and rear fenders (few bolts)

you'll have all the space in the world to comfortably clean, get to learn your tractor, and swap out the $6.00 fan.

im making the assumption your BX has the spacer coupler in the front, if it doesnt you need to lift the engine a few inches, and i would say run with the missing fan blade lol

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=342363&postcount=10
Hmm. It doesn't look as hard as I thought.

My BX likely does not have the spacer in front as it's an older 2008 model and I would just have to assume that I'm going to have to lift the engine. I would need to figure out how to do that.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Hmm. It doesn't look as hard as I thought.

My BX likely does not have the spacer in front as it's an older 2008 model and I would just have to assume that I'm going to have to lift the engine. I would need to figure out how to do that.
aw crap, yes mine is a 2007, no spacer, im not sure when the spacer started showing up. lifting the motor is pretty easy but its annoying to have to deal with.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

probably, but how much good would it do with the engine turned around backwards in the frame, radiator in the middle of the tractor? More crap to pile into an already cramped space. Also, you'd have more hoses/lines to run to/from a cooler, there are already a ton of lines/hoses on a BX (look at the transmission on one of them), and there's more potential to have a big leak.

The plastic fan blades are somewhat flexible. THey have to be. If they weren't they'd shatter at the mere hint of any grass clipping getting up into it. Make it harder? No, breaks easier. Make it softer? Blades flex and don't move enough air. Make it two piece? Tell the manufacturer of the fan to change their molding machinery, then there's the opportunity for one half of the fan to break off and people gripe about that "bad design" too. Make it one piece with a slot down one side? Same as a two piece, gonna get griped about no matter what. Make it metal? No. Bends easy, heavier, more likely to come through the floorboard if a piece breaks off. Remember, that fan is directly under your manhood (if you're a man). I'm pretty sure I am not interested in an metal fan spinning 3500 RPM that is subject to a bunch of junk getting into the blades right underneath me.

Most never have issues, seems like some that do have issues needing a real tractor for a real tractor job rather than a glorified lawn mower. If that offends, I am sorry--but hopefully it has instilled some thought into some folks' mindsets.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Most never have issues, seems like some that do have issues needing a real tractor for a real tractor job rather than a glorified lawn mower. If that offends, I am sorry--but hopefully it has instilled some thought into some folks' mindsets.
lol wut?

please enlighten us to the correlation between the fan breaking and "needing a real tractor"?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
lol wut?

please enlighten us to the correlation between the fan breaking and "needing a real tractor"?

Not trying to interpret what lugbolt was saying, but my take on it after reading a bunch of posts over the last 4 years in which someone has taken their BX off road and run it into big brush or over a branch which flipped up and caught in the fan, is that they don't have much ground clearance. So the owner needs to either run their BX with a certain amount of common sense and pick up the branches before running over them, or get a machine that is designed to shove brush around (a dozer?). Many many people do just fine with their BX and B sized tractors using a certain amount of caution. I have a lot of trees that shed branches where I want to mow all the time, and I hold my breath that I will see them in time. My pre lawn mowing ritual is a " stick run" with the Gator. My L tractor has a whole lot more clearance than the B, and certainly the Ingersoll, but nothing like my neighbor's 50hp Oliver.