BX24 ran out of oil!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
UPDATE: I assumed that they refilled the oil since they did go out and buy some. I didn't dirve it until the day before clearing the drive so that's why I didn't check it.
I'd like to know if @Love my BX24 called his sons to confirm whether or not they added oil after they presumably drained it. I don't mean prior to the seizing of the engine, but after, just so we know exactly what happened.

I haven't had anyone change oil for me in 40 years or so, but I've checked oil levels for girlfriends over the years after they took their vehicle to a dealer or service center and found examples of overfilling and underfilling.

I changed the oil on my friend's Prius recently. It was a pain in the butt, and she wound me up telling me that she could hear a noise under the vehicle after I did the oil change that sounded like me whining!! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Okay, the update was posted yesterday in Post #1. Let's be kind, and no snarky responses.
That wasn't really an update by OP. Posting why it might have run out of oil doesn't get him anywhere.

Most of us don't care why it ran out of oil. We are interested if he tried anything suggested in this thread, and there were quite a lot of helpful information provided.

My response could be considered snarky, but if you post and get lots of helpful options, I think you should respond and say you tried them all (which is probably not true) or say what you did check.

Reactions: 1 user

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
Fair enough, but lots of posts wanted to clarify what happened. Now that we know that, it would be nice to know if any suggestions have been tried.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
While using my snow blower, the tractor stalled twice then wouldn't restart. I discovered that there it was out to oil. A neighbour towed it back up the drive and into the garage. I refilled the oil, plugged in the block heater, then left it overnight. Now I can't get the engine to turn over. I checked the battery and even kept a charger attached to it, but it still didn't get past trying to start. I checked the safety switches, and they seem fine. Have I fried the motor? Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Thank you for all the suggestions. I am (obviously) a first-time tractor owner/user and the BX24 was purchased used, so no manual. I came to this forum hoping that 'newbies' could get help and not be met with unhelpful criticism. And, yes, I know very little about motors but I know about checking the dipstick, filling oil, and draining, etc. At Christmas, my sons came up to my rural property to put on the snowblower as well as changing the oil and running engine cleaner through the tractor. I assumed that they refilled the oil since they did go out and buy some. I didn't dirve it until the day before clearing the drive so that's why I didn't check it.

Thank you that clears up a lot!

Now lets try some forward progress.
You need to manually rotate the motor so you know if it's seized or not.
If it rotates very hard you'll need to have the engine rebuilt.
If it turns easy you might get lucky.

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
No matter what, there is a teachable moment for any CUT owner. Constantly scan your gauges and warning lights. It's not like a car where you can go thousands and thousands of miles without caution. A near miss is good way to drive home that point.

I've used tractors for 60 years. Tat said, one day I was happily mowing with my tractor. When I (finally) looked down at my gauges, the temperature gauge was entering the red. Chaff had plugged my radiator screen. It was easy to clean that out, but I could have damaged my engine.

Chaff can plug radiators, sticks can pierce oi filters, hoses can break, etc. It has to be a habit to constantly scan gauges and warning lights. Any of us can have a momentary lapse if we're not careful.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
No matter what, there is a teachable moment for any CUT owner. Constantly scan your gauges and warning lights. It's not like a car where you can go thousands and thousands of miles without caution. A near miss is good way to drive home that point.

I've used tractors for 60 years. Tat said, one day I was happily mowing with my tractor. When I (finally) looked down at my gauges, the temperature gauge was entering the red. Chaff had plugged my radiator screen. It was easy to clean that out, but I could have damaged my engine.

Chaff can plug radiators, sticks can pierce oi filters, hoses can break, etc. It has to be a habit to constantly scan gauges and warning lights. Any of us can have a momentary lapse if we're not careful.
In 30,000+ hours sitting atop various engine types from 10'-41,000', I never had a "momentary lapse".!
Training/attention/scan is important!
A "momentary lapse" could have been fatal for me!

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
UPDATE: Thank you for all the suggestions. I am (obviously) a first-time tractor owner/user and the BX24 was purchased used, so no manual. I came to this forum hoping that 'newbies' could get help and not be met with unhelpful criticism. And, yes, I know very little about motors but I know about checking the dipstick, filling oil, and draining, etc.
Given the situation and what you’ve told us I think it’s time to have someone with some experience look at it. Your local dealer maybe. I’m sure people will be able to walk ya through checking to see if it’s had catastrophic damage or if it’s locked up. If it is from that point it’s gonna be outa your hands. Sounds like you r already topped the oil back up but that’s about it???
posting some video or helping others on this site with info requested will definitely get you the answers your looking for at least if they are possible to answer. Just try and help us help you. Also Gotta just ignore the neg comments. We were all tractor noobs at one point in life just some at different stages. Hope you keep us up to date and enjoy the site. It’s very useful and full of great members. Even the grumpy ones are usually willing to help they just gonna break your balls a bit lol.
thanks for the update we’ll kinda more clarification.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I only wish that women came with manuals so we could understand their way of thinking. Does anyone remember the genie joke about this subject?
Yep… Joke #81

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
UPDATE: Thank you for all the suggestions. I am (obviously) a first-time tractor owner/user and the BX24 was purchased used, so no manual. I came to this forum hoping that 'newbies' could get help and not be met with unhelpful criticism. And, yes, I know very little about motors but I know about checking the dipstick, filling oil, and draining, etc. At Christmas, my sons came up to my rural property to put on the snowblower as well as changing the oil and running engine cleaner through the tractor. I assumed that they refilled the oil since they did go out and buy some. I didn't dirve it until the day before clearing the drive so that's why I didn't check it.
@Love my BX 24: I looked back at your first post… Thank you for that further explanation… Makes a lot more sense with that. Let me ask a question: How long did you snow-blow with it before it stopped running…?? An Hour..?? or Ten Minutes..?

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
At Christmas, my sons came up to my rural property to put on the snowblower as well as changing the oil and running engine cleaner through the tractor.
Running engine cleaner through the tractor???

The apple don't fall too far from the tree... :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, Looks like shared blame here....

your sons deserve a good kick in the azz and you as well for not double checking the oil.

I'm still curious about this "engine cleaner" snake oil.

My advice is still the same.
No free lunch.

Pull the engine and disassemble for damage inspection.

baguiar95

Equipment
BX24
Apr 22, 2024
Massachusetts
Hello everyone I had a similar issue, oil pan cap fell out while in use and I caught it after seeing a trail of oil in my yard. I refilled with oil and it ran for several weeks no issues. I was operating the machine as normal and it suddenly shut down while in use with a clunk clunk sound. I have attached a video of my bx24 machine turning on with no luck after troubleshooting. I decided to have the machine towed to a mechanic and they said the engine is siezed, and fly wheel does not move. They want $7,000 what are my options?

baguiar95

Equipment
BX24
Apr 22, 2024
Massachusetts
This is a new equipment for me about 30-45 days old and I'm pretty pissed at myself for a stupid mistake on my part. I am pretty handy but I want to get people with more diesel experience as to how involved the repair will be and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
some options...
1) buy another running tractor
2) have engine professionally rebuilt
3) rebuild it yourself
4) buy a known good running engine

there's probably a few more options.....

If you decide to 'rebuild the engine' (#2 or #3), it'll have to come out. Save some coins and do what's necessary to remove engine from tractor.

If engine is seized, I suspect a 'short block' might be more economical than buying a truckload of parts ?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Is it new as in purchased and financed through Kubota with KTAC insurance?

If so, then have the dealer file an insurance claim and replace the engine?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Is it new as in purchased and financed through Kubota with KTAC insurance?

If so, then have the dealer file an insurance claim and replace the engine?
The BX24 was built from 2006 to 2009, and most likely doesn't have KTAC insurance.