[BX23S] Snow Plow Ballast

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I have the mount and 10 suitcase weights, totalling 550 +/- Lbs. I'm thinking of making some "S" bracket hangers and welding them to the back of the mount. On the bottom, weld a piece of pipe to span the brackets so it drops into the BH ears for easy removal.

Thoughts?
20230921_150651.jpg
20230921_150605.jpg
20230905_155652.jpg

20230905_155622.jpg

I've also thought about welding pins to the mount and a couple pieces of angle to make it 3PH compatable. This is not necessarily of interest.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Neat idea.

I'd be concerned about the mount being close in tolerance to ensure unform loading on all four backhoe mounts.

Otherwise you might cause damage to one or more of the backhoe mounts, if that makes sense.

You seem to have the skills and ability to do that without an issue - - I might not.... ;)

Just Devil's Advocate, but your tractor is new to you. I have found a 3PH Quick Hitch to be invaluable. I can pick up and drop all my attachments without leaving the seat.

A BH mount ballast frame may be good today, but can't you envision a time you might want to change the weight frame for a box blade quickly?

I would suggest you give serious consideration to making it a 3PH attachment, and also making it Quick Hitch compatible....JMHO.

This is my $80 (with coupon) Harbor Freight QH from years ago. Added Kenny's Extended Hook last year or two. Best attachment I've added to the BX.

IMG_6210.jpeg

Last edited:

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Neat idea. I'd be concerned about the mount being close in tolerance to ensure unform loading on all four backhoe mounts, otherwise you might cause damage to one or more of the backhoe mounts, if that makes sense. You seem to have the skills and ability to do that without an issue >I took how it needs to get mated, that has to be a perfect match.

Just Devil's Advocate, but your tractor is new to you. I have found a 3PH Quick Hitch to be invaluable. I can pick up and drop all my attachments without leaving the seat. >I have a QH, and have thought about going that route, mainly so there's less messing around. My concern is having that amount of weight just hanging there, locked. Would I be OK doing that?

A BH mount ballast frame may be good today, but can't you envision a time you might want to change the weight frame for a box blade quickly? Oh, absolutely.

I would suggest you give serious consideration to making it a 3PH attachment, and also making it Quick Hitch compatible....JMHO. I won't say my direction "can't" be swayed in the other direction, I think what's luring for me the most, is designing the mounts for use on the BH ears. I like a challenge...lol.

View attachment 115523
Posted within the quote 👍

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Posted within the quote 👍
Having the weight hanging from the 3PH when it’s fully lowered shouldn’t be an issue.

For storage, I put my implements on pallets when they’re not on the tractor.

I think a 3PH connection might be more work on your weight frame?

Otherwise, it’s a logical decision for you to make. Whatever you decide is truly your own. Just throwing out my take.

Which ever way you go, please document your journey! 😉

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, didn't know the BH can come off :giggle:

one option..... weld the bar onto the front,lower edge of the weight box,maybe with an upside down angle iron for support and ease of weding..,fab some 'connection arm' that is pinned into where the top link attached.
lower mounting is better, 3 point attachment is easier( 3 legged milk stool )

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh

Not hatin'... just sayin': front blade activities tend to require as much front axle traction as one can possibly muster... changing direction while the blade is engaged, 'frinstance.

Weight applied behind the rear axle will help rear axle traction whilst robbing traction from the steering axle. "She won't answer her helm, skipper!"

Reactions: 2 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Do plow trucks have rear ballast?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
When I plowed with my CJ-5, I added some 6x6 billets of steel as ballast. made a WORLD of difference.
Put 4x4 billets into the rear wheel wells of my '67 stang, made it great to drive all winter.
See lots of plow pickups with salters in the bed.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Jezus H Krist!!!! o_O Why do you think you need all that iron of the back end for pushing snow????
My little BX has handled every snow we have ever had here and that includes the 3 footer with nothing like that, I mean it is your toy do as you will but Lord almighty I dont have that kind of weight on the B when Im usin the FEL !!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I did a similar build for my riding blower so I could 'dial in' just enough weight without going 'crazy'.
I have stalled the BX23S with the BH on, trying to push city donated 'road snow', so I KNOW weight on the back does help.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.

Not hatin'... just sayin': front blade activities tend to require as much front axle traction as one can possibly muster... changing direction while the blade is engaged, 'frinstance.

Weight applied behind the rear axle will help rear axle traction whilst robbing traction from the steering axle. "She won't answer her helm, skipper!"
so true..... waiting / watching / hoping the front end of the tractor starts to adjust direction as the front wheels spin is frustrating if not a little scary full of lots of hope.

Dropping my snow blower from a raised position to on the ground helps (unload rear end) so more weight on front.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Jezus H Krist!!!! o_O Why do you think you need all that iron of the back end for pushing snow????
My little BX has handled every snow we have ever had here and that includes the 3 footer with nothing like that, I mean it is your toy do as you will but Lord almighty I dont have that kind of weight on the B when Im usin the FEL !!!
Calm yourself before you blow a rear-end. The ballast is not intended solely for snow plowing. It is +/- as required, and useful for FEL. Also a smaller package than a BB hanging off the 3pt. I bought the 23s for it's compact-ness and usability in and around the area of my abode, so minimalistic is a good thing.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I did a similar build for my riding blower so I could 'dial in' just enough weight without going 'crazy'.
I have stalled the BX23S with the BH on, trying to push city donated 'road snow', so I KNOW weight on the back does help.
My snow plow is like no others I've seen on a BX, as of yet. This season will be the first run, so things can (and likely will for adding front ballast) change.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have a bit over 600 pounds of lead ingots in my ballast box for snow-blowing and plowing with my old BX22 and my new BX23S. It all hangs on the 3-point hitch, and I wouldn't ever think of hanging anything on the tractor that wasn't designed by Kubota to be hung there. The 3-point hitch is designed to carry the weight, I am not so certain about the backhoe ears. When you reinvent the wheel you take personal responsibility for design success and failure. In this case, failure can become extremely expensive.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
This is an honest (not sarcastic) question.

A far as BLOWING snow goes...why would you need rear ballast?

I've snowblowed some pretty deep n' nasty, drifted snow here with my "glorified lawn mower" and never needed ballast. (though I do have rear chains that are useful on ice (which we get)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: I am not so certain about the backhoe ears.
The BH for the BX23S weighs about 600# + bucket of course....

as for 'why ballast' . It's a matter of weight or mass, Snow vs YOU, little extra weight on your side ,and you can win over snow....except 'city donated' snow.....

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Maybe I missed something; what's wrong with using the backhoe as ballast?

Even blowing snow you need weight in the rear. My little lawn tractor will sometimes have trouble moving through thick heavy snow, even with tire chains. Leaning back in the seat usually helps.
I doubt that would work on one of these though.:p

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Maybe I missed something; what's wrong with using the backhoe as ballast?

Even blowing snow you need weight in the rear. My little lawn tractor will sometimes have trouble moving through thick heavy snow, even with tire chains. Leaning back in the seat usually helps.
I doubt that would work on one of these though.:p
I take your reply in jest. Some of us don't like having the bulk and mass of the BH installed. They (I for one) like using only what's necessary to get the task done, to maintain a sub-compact stance in areas of need. Same as I don't leave my mowing deck on if I'm not "mowing" 🙂

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
I take your reply in jest. Some of us don't like having the bulk and mass of the BH installed. They (I for one) like using only what's necessary to get the task done, to maintain a sub-compact stance in areas of need. Same as I don't leave my mowing deck on if I'm not "mowing" 🙂
Wasn't in jest. :)
So far I don't use anything in the rear except the BH. And it takes up much less space on the back than storing it.
I can see where some spaces would be too tight for it though.

To each there own. :)

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Do plow trucks have rear ballast?
Typically yes, most have some sort of rear ballast depending on size of plow truck. Some have spreader on rear or just place weight in box. Larger trucks, i.e. dumps may be loaded with salt/ashes with spreader. 10 wheelers/tri-axles the same.