BX23S Hood Release Not Releasing

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have a problem with my hood release not working. I pulled up on the lever, and pulled backwards, and the hood release refuses to release the hood. I pressed down on the hood at the same time, and still nothing. Is there some way that I can get the hood release to release the hood, that I haven't tried? Once I get it open, is there some way to adjust the latch to make it work easier in the future? thanks .

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Found the problem... Operator error. I was attempting to release the hood with the cruise control lever. Tractor has a cab on it, and the heater conceals the hood release. I previously had a BX22, and the hood release was located exactly where the cruise control lever is located, and not being very familiar with this new tractor, I forgot where the hood release was located. Kubota should have a label with an arrow to remind us old folk where the hood release is located when you have a cab with a heater, and a label to indicate that the rod is for the cruise control. :(

Reactions: 1 user

highway61

Equipment
BX-2380, BX-2316
Mar 13, 2022
New York
We have a BX 2380 with the same problem. We do not have a cab on it. We can't get the hood open lever to budge in any direction. Any ideas?

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
We have a BX 2380 with the same problem. We do not have a cab on it. We can't get the hood open lever to budge in any direction. Any ideas?
You have to kind of pull up and back. Not just straight back. It's not the greatest design.
Took me a little while to get used to.

*I guess orientation would help (thanks Paul!).
If you're standing at the side of the tractor facing the latch, pull up as you pull it towards yourself.
I had a very difficult time releasing mine until I started pulling up as well as back.*

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Pull on the tab towards the outside (where you are standing) and then push down on the hood in the center, and it should release. Sometimes you have to give some persuasion by a sharp wrap with a closed side of your hand.

Reactions: 2 users

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
I slam my fist on the hood closest to the latch, push down, then pull the latch. PITA latch. Sometimes have to do it twice.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I slam my fist on the hood closest to the latch, push down, then pull the latch. PITA latch. Sometimes have to do it twice.
My guess is that you have to cuss whilst doing it, or it won't work properly.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
All seasoned men know that if you want it to open up, you talk softly and handle it gently. Beating and swearing don't usually work.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
All seasoned men know that if you want it to open up, you talk softly and handle it gently. Beating and swearing don't usually work.
That might be so but letting my female tractor I disapprove of her antics makes me feel better.

highway61

Equipment
BX-2380, BX-2316
Mar 13, 2022
New York
You have to kind of pull up and back. Not just straight back. It's not the greatest design.
Took me a little while to get used to.

*I guess orientation would help (thanks Paul!).
If you're standing at the side of the tractor facing the latch, pull up as you pull it towards yourself.
I had a very difficult time releasing mine until I started pulling up as well as back.*
We have tried every which way but loose. We will try pounding on it harder with excessive foul language.

highway61

Equipment
BX-2380, BX-2316
Mar 13, 2022
New York
We have tried every which way but loose. We will try pounding on it harder with excessive foul language. Perhaps some sweet talk as well. lol Glade aren't the only ones with this issue. We thank everyone for the responses and assistance.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
What really works is after beating it and swearing at it, if it still doesn’t work, I’ll tell the stubborn SOB I’ll drag it to the junk yard right now if you don’t open. Pops open ever time.