BX2380 or a B2301

tuptain

Equipment
BX2380 not for long, Jeep
Jun 11, 2018
Yucca Valley
I am really glad I found this forum, there seems to be a lot of good information and experience here. I have been reading posts here for the last week or two. I've never owned a tractor and I have only rented one a few times which it was larger than the two mentioned. I am extremely perplexed at this point, maybe even in a information overload.

I live in the high desert area (about 3/4 acre) in the hills which are subject to flash flooding and I need a tractor to clear out a wash behind my house, its roughly 150' long and about 5-10 feet wide. Sand accumulates when it rains in the winter and in the summer due to flash flooding, the water has come close to escaping the wash a few times already. No matter what is done about diking I will always need to remove the sand (I am in the Sand Business, lol) to keep the level lower than my house.

Other projects are landscaping, moving rocks for decorative purposes, building retaining walls, weed abatement and controlling erosion on dirt embankments. Wife keeps coming up with projects.

My problem; the BX2380 seems strong enough, agile and it fits my property after driving it but the B2301 has better ground clearance and has more loader capacity. Both tractors has 23 HP and they will be outfitted with a box scrapper and a loader (The only PTO work would be an auger). I may get into the weed abatement business after I retire (residential properties). The difference in price is about 2200 dollars and I am not sure if the 2301 is that much more of a tractor considering application? Someone once told me,"don't buy a toy when you need a tool". Is the BX2380 a toy or can it do serious work and is the B2301 worth the extra money spent? Any wisdom is muchly appreciated.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The BX will do everything you describe. It's also more stable up and down embankments. But the usual reason for choosing a BX is mowing - it's a better mower that doesn't chew up your lawn so much. Sounds like you have no lawn and no mowing....the B will lift a bit more, move a bit more, has more ground clearance. So yeah, it's probably worth the extra money for your application, and if you have the space for it.

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
From what you are describing, I also think either one will do the job. The B will have a bigger bucket, can lift more and would be able to do it quicker. However, the BX will be up to the task.

I have the BX23S, which is the BX2380 with the backhoe. So far there isn't anything I could fit into the bucket that I couldn't pick up. Now huge rocks that weigh more than the BX, those I just had to push around. No way would it lift them. haha ;)

Last edited:

tuptain

Equipment
Jun 11, 2018
Yucca Valley
Thanks for the quick responses, I did like the stability when I drove the BX and on the embankments it would work better. Another question, on the BX when the 3 point is dropped down does the mower assembly for the deck come down reducing ground clearance? Do they remove this if you do not have the mower deck?

groomerbuck

Nov 14, 2015
Palmerton, Pennsylvania,
On the bx you can turn a knob and lock the mower deck/linkage in the top position. The b2301 actually works the same way aswell.
I will offer up a little insight tho, if your thinking about a bigger tractor already, get the bigger tractor. I just went through the same thing. A couple yrs ago when shopping i went against my better judgement and brought a bx2370. It worked very well but i always wished i got the bigger rig. Well about a month ago i traded the bx in for a b2650 and couldn’t be happier.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Unless there is a reason you need the smaller size, or budget restrictions, it's probably wise to go with the bigger rig. Based on your description of what you plan to do, I would go with the B.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I have a BX2370. I use it to maintain a large gravel lot-- but its primary use is mowing. If I was you and wasn't going to use it mow I would get the B. That being said I believe the BX will do what you want. Be sure to add the skid plate to protect the HST fan on the BX.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I agree with others - if you're already thinking about bigger, for the increase in cost (not much) just do it now. Changing your mind later is a more expensive exercise.

One of my barriers, on about 3/4 acre of land, is that my neighbours would all laugh at me with a B on that much land - the BX is only a bit bigger than a lawn mower. But your land sounds a bit more legitimately tractor territory. If I could articulate why I need a B I'd get one in a flash. It's about 10% more money to lift and move about 50% more.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Agree with all the above...get the B. I had a BX23 for a dozen years. Great, tough little machine capable of doing work. However, for the stuff you are doing, a B series would be the better choice.

Should mention that 3 pt on the B will lift implements higher and fit more attachments as well.

Last edited:

botaskinner

Equipment
B2320HST, Land Pride 48" BB, LA304 Loader, TSC Middle buster, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jul 7, 2016
watsonville, ca
Tuptain,
Welcome to the forum.

3 years ago we bought a gently used B2320 for:

1. bamboo root removal
2. drainage concerns much like yours,
3. concrete removal
4. general landscape preparation
5. excavation for a deck, hot tub and new driveway and patio
6. removal of 60 feet of 50-year old shrubs that were 6 feet high
7. removal of 4 large yucca root balls (2-300 lbs each)

150 hours later it's been a digging little beast. I too needed to put a 170 foot drainage channel adjacent to our back fence but I still wanted only 4 feet max width for several tight areas on the property.

And it's only 1/3 acre. I'd get the B over a BX again if I had the choice. Not slamming the BX, it's a great tractor, but I can haul a 4 foot box blade full of wet clay dirt without losing traction, and between the box blade and a middle buster, I was able to eradicate a bamboo invasion from under the fence that had taken over about 1000 square feet of the back yard (thanks, neighbor....)

3/4 of a gallon per hour fuel burn, great reliability and no DPF or regens.

you get two hydraulic cylinders for the bucket vs. one on the BX. If a lot of loader work in in your future (and it looks like a continuous battle), I'd recommend the B as well.

And don't worry what the neighbors think. It's your money and time.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
bx is a great little machine...

but if you have to even question it? go for the full B!

tuptain

Equipment
Jun 11, 2018
Yucca Valley
Apologies I have been at work a few days and had not had a chance to check in, thanks for all the input. I wasn’t questioning if I needed a bigger tractor, rather I was questioning if the BX could handle what I needed to do. Humbly...my limited experience with tractors is probably the reason for the doubt. After driving both I am leaning towards the BX at the moment, it was comfortable and felt more stable (probably because it was smaller I’m guessing).

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The BX will do basically anything, short of raw lift capacity. So it'll be a little slower than a B for some jobs (lifts a bit less), and some things you'll have to think laterally to get done - instead of raw power you might have to lever or push or tweak somehow.

tuptain

Equipment
Jun 11, 2018
Yucca Valley
After much deliberation I decided to go with the BX2380. The smaller size and yet still capable was the deciding factor. I felt being on my embankments the lower center of gravity would be better. I may in the future wish I purchased the B, however I hope the savings and fitting my budget will overcome this...

I used it this last weekend and started to get comfortable working the controls. It was getting the job done slowly but surely. I really was starting to get serious about sand removal and was impressed with the loader (beats a wheel barrel and shovel I thought). When all of a sudden hydraulic fluid spewed and shot out of the front!! Hydraulic fluid was everywhere, I could not steer the tractor at all. So I shut down the tractor and examined the front area. Somehow the hydraulic line going to the steering rack got pinched between the frame and the axel. :eek:

I contacted the salesman (Bob) that dropped the tractor off the day before and he was awesome (Glenn B Dorning Kubota in Ontario California). I sent him some pictures of the issue and he forwarded them to the service department. Apparently this issue has happened on a BX1880 just recently. The Service department is sending a mechanic, new hose and hydraulic fluid out tomorrow to fix the problem. :):) warranty.

If you have bought a new BX recently, check the steering hoses coming from the steering rack to the steering wheel on the left side of the tractor. Make sure there is no way the hoses can get pinched by the frame and axle. I am looking forward to getting her back out and moving sand this weekend. Thanks for all the advise, and hopefully I will not regret my decision.

Last edited:

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Congratulations on your purchase! That’s a great machine and you’ll be able to do an amazing amount of work with it.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Hard to regret a BX, especially as a first machine (you have nothing to compare to other than a wheelbarrow, so you aren't going to feel you're down on power, and it's a hell of a lot better than a wheelbarrow for just about every task).

Big things to be careful of as a first time owner:

• they're not as stable as you think. Momentum is not your friend, so anything even remotely tippy, just go slowly
  • always carry loads in the bucket low - a bucket raised right up with weight in it is an accident waiting to happen from something as simple as just going around a corner
  • be careful how you put pressure on the bucket and the lift cylinders - you start to think you can push anything, and get into bad habits grading with the bucket. Check some youtube and learn how to do it without stressing your machine - you can bend your bucket or rams if you stress it when fully dumped for example
  • be careful what you drive into. Anything you hit with the tractor will break - it's a real tractor, and it's stronger than most stuff around your house. Particularly be careful driving close to the house itself unless you like repairing your siding
  • don't leave it out in the sun and rain if you can avoid it - if you can't garage it, at least chuck a tarp over it. The seat will all crack left out in the sun, and the rubber and plastic bits don't love sun much either
  • get used to greasing things - particularly your loader. Not keeping it greased is a good way for it to wear out fast, and if you're like me the budget controller isn't inclined to let you buy a new one just because you ruined your old one

Best of luck with your new machine.

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
That's all great advice. I just bought my first tractor 6 months ago so everything was new to me. There are some very good informational videos on youtube by "Tractor Mike." For example, I had no idea what a grease gun was or how to use one, but he has a great video on them and keeping everything greased has made a big difference in how everything seems to run.

tuptain

Equipment
Jun 11, 2018
Yucca Valley
bx is a great little machine...

but if you have to even question it? go for the full B!
Yep, I should have listened to you, I was hoping i could get by with the smaller tractor turns out I could not. I have had the tractor 3 weeks and used it 3 days.

The first day the power steering hose got pinched between the axle and frame, out of service...the dealer has been great can't complain, they came out and fixed it. I was up and running for about a day and a half.

Then FEL cylinders blew and I also believe the front bucket cylinder needs new dust seals, not sure. The dealer is coming out tomorrow to rebuild and fix the cylinders. Oh yeah, the cylinder rebuild kits are 275.00 a piece per cylinder, ouch.

I can't say there is anything that stands out that could have caused the cylinders to rupture other than working the tractor hard. Looking to upgrade to the B2301 as soon as possible.:(

Last edited:

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Yep, I should have listened to you, I was hoping i could get by with the smaller tractor turns out I could not. I have had the tractor 3 weeks and used it 3 days.

The first day the power steering hose got pinched between the axle and frame, out of service...the dealer has been great can't complain, they came out and fixed it. I was up and running for about a day and a half.

Then FEL cylinders blew and I also believe the front bucket cylinder needs new dust seals, not sure. The dealer is coming out tomorrow to rebuild and fix the cylinders. Oh yeah, the cylinder rebuild kits are 275.00 a piece per cylinder, ouch.

I can't say there is anything that stands out that could have caused the cylinders to rupture other than working the tractor hard. Looking to upgrade to the B2301 as soon as possible.:(
Whoa. That's some serious bad luck there, and in your shoes I'd certainly feel I bought the wrong tractor too. But many of us push our BXs hard on a regular basis without these sorts of issues.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
That is surprising. I work my BX hard, but have never broken things like that. In general Kubota are good with sizing the power of the machine, the pumps and the bucket so that you can't break it by using it - if it's too heavy to lift it just won't lift it, but it shouldn't have enough power to break cylinders unless you abuse it somehow. Perhaps you were just unlucky and got a bad one? Or did you do something like trying to push stuff with the bucket fully dumped? If so, that'll also break a B2301 - it's something you shouldn't do.