BX2370 - Can't remove engine side skirts with front grill guard in place

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I was going over my 2015 BX2370 the other day, and wanted to remove the engine side skirt panels. However I find that I can not remove them unless I first remove the front grill guard.

My BX2370 has the "orange" grill guard - not the "silver" one with "BX" carved in it.

When I was looking over the BX at the Dealership, I told my Dealer that I liked the look of the orange grill guard better - but I'm not sure if there was choice either, as both of the two new BXs in their crates had the orange grill guards (maybe the silver one is an upgrade (extra cost)).

Does the silver one have pins that let it tilt forward?
If not, are you guys able to get your skirts off without removing the grill guard.

Attachments

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Mike,

when I changed the oil in my 2370 for the first time.....I ran into the same problem!

I cussed as I had to remove the silver brush bumper and THEN slid the cover forward......my oil wrench device would not get to the filter without the bonnet being removed. Not sure there is a work around, I am sure many have taken the filter off another way, but I was trying to be careful....hell I still have payments!!:D:)

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I thought someone said their grill guard had pins that could be removed to let the guard pivot at the bottom and lower/swing-down out of the way.

When I get to my first oil/filter change, I'll remove the guard and see if there is a specific amount the grill guard needs to be spaced to allow the skirts to come off without grill guard removal. It seemed that just an inch or so would have made the difference.

Surly Paul Short would have made some sort of mod to his guard by now. I'll head over to his video collection and see if has anything on this. If not Paul... are you listening? :rolleyes:

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
I was going over my 2015 BX2370 the other day, and wanted to remove the engine side skirt panels. However I find that I can not remove them unless I first remove the front grill guard.

My BX2370 has the "orange" grill guard - not the "silver" one with "BX" carved in it.

When I was looking over the BX at the Dealership, I told my Dealer that I liked the look of the orange grill guard better - but I'm not sure if there was choice either, as both of the two new BXs in their crates had the orange grill guards (maybe the silver one is an upgrade (extra cost)).

Does the silver one have pins that let it tilt forward?
If not, are you guys able to get your skirts off without removing the grill guard.

With a channelock style wrench you can get the filter off, but i prefer to remove the side panels. When i remove them i leave one bolt in the grill guard and it makes it a lot easier to line it up when your installing it. I hope this makes it easier Barry

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have a BX25D. I have the silver guard. It is bolted in place with four large bolts.

I was able to easily get the filter off using a cap style tool and a wrench. The book does say to remove the FEL (not safe to wrench while it is raised) and the engine surround.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I have a BX25D. I have the silver guard. It is bolted in place with four large bolts.

I was able to easily get the filter off using a cap style tool and a wrench. The book does say to remove the FEL (not safe to wrench while it is raised) and the engine surround.
Thanks for the feedback.
I don't mind removing the grill guard once in a while - to get a good look around the engine compartment. I think that is important to do at least once a year.
I was first wondering if the silver BX guard was better - but now I know that both the silver and orange grill guards are the same with reagards to the skirting - meaning either one would need to be removed to get the side skirting off.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks for the feedback.
I don't mind removing the grill guard once in a while - to get a good look around the engine compartment. I think that is important to do at least once a year.
I was first wondering if the silver BX guard was better - but now I know that both the silver and orange grill guards are the same with reagards to the skirting - meaning either one would need to be removed to get the side skirting off.
Yup, it makes a simple job difficult. Unless I really have to, I'll not be removing mine any time soon. Funny in that they make it easy to remove with a couple of hand knobs.

This is what I used to remove my oil filter, leaving the tractor 'body work' in place:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZGDUP8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00
In the 3/8" opening I used a adapter that enables a wrench instead of a ratchet. I leave the oil filter tool on the oil filter until after I have it off. Then I remove the tool.

rdeist

Equipment
Bx23TLB
Feb 13, 2014
Bend, Oregon USA
I have a BX23TLB and it has the silver grill guard. It was bolted on to the frame with 12mm bolts. +or-. They were close enough in diameter holes to tap 5/8" threads into them. Then screw in 5/8 bolts from the back side so that the threads are outside. Make sure the bolt is long enough for the grill guard plate and washers/nuts. I used a picking eye with female threads instead of nuts.
These can be loosened by putting a bar, screwdriver, etc. into the eyes. Having the treads out also give you two studs to place the grill bar on when reassembling. The grill bar will have to be drilled out to 21/32". Bar will stay
put while putting the picking eyes on. The eyes are also good points for towing or tie down to trailers.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The newer BX25's has helped this issue.

The older BX's, every stinking one of them makes me invent new words when I have to work on them. Fuel filters especially. But it is to be expected when you have a full featured tractor, but 1/6 the size. Everything's packed together tight.

Had one in the shop a while back where a customer had cut a 4" diameter hole in the side panel to access the oil filter. It was slick. Worked well. Saved him some money because the grill guard didn't have to come off to remove the lower bonnet. I think Kubota should do it from the factory, if nothing else but just put a little "notch" in the plastic to the filter can come out.

If it was mine, I'd weld nuts onto the back of the front frame where the grill guard bolts go through. Then thread them in. I like to remove the bonnet to service, because I also wash it and the bonnet needs to come off for a good wash job.