BX2350 will not start, but glow plug light is on; which do I replace?

SpokaneDude

Equipment
BX2350, FM 125 tiller, Land Pride blade, BotaProducts fuel & HST filter mods
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
BX2350 will not start, it started just fine yesterday, I put it under it's shed and now no clicking at all when I turn on the glow plug!
Glow plug light is on; local dealer said it could be the glow-plug relay... any idea which one it could be?

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Is it getting cold there? My Ks will start pretty easy at 55 degrees F with or without the glow plugs. Just wondering if the GP relay is really the trouble. Could be. I’d trace the GP wires backwards to the relay. Then swap it with a known good one (maybe for the heard lights?).

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Is it getting cold there? My Ks will start pretty easy at 55 degrees F with or without the glow plugs. Just wondering if the GP relay is really the trouble. Could be. I’d trace the GP wires backwards to the relay. Then swap it with a known good one (maybe for the heard lights?).

Problem is: I don't know what a glow plug looks like! I'll find out tomorrow when I go to the dealer for parts! Something is broken, I'll let them figure out which is the least expensive to me. Thank you for your comment and time, I appreciate it!

Landroverbill

Equipment
Bx25d
Jul 13, 2017
Chicago Park, ca, usa
Problem is: I don't know what a glow plug looks like! I'll find out tomorrow when I go to the dealer for parts! Something is broken, I'll let them figure out which is the least expensive to me. Thank you for your comment and time, I appreciate it!
Try stepping on the forward and reverse to recenter the pedal. A little cock to one side or the other will result in symptoms you described.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, 'does not start' is vague....
does the starter spin when you turn the key fully right?
have you check all the fuses under the dash ?
glowplugs are EASY to test. Open hood, you'll see 3 post and 2 straps all connected(check online parts or WSM), put voltmeter on one, plus ground of course, then turn key to 'preheat' and read the voltage. Around 10 is normal, zero means no power to them. that could be relay or fuse.

just checked my BX23S diagram. IF the BX2350 has the same wiring, there isn't a fuse in the glow plug feed and the dash light is in parallel with the glowplugs, so NOT a relay problem
so... sounds like you've got 1 or 2 or 3 open glowplugs. Just be sure to have proper sized METRIC tools when replacing them !

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Try stepping on the forward and reverse to recenter the pedal. A little cock to one side or the other will result in symptoms you described.
It's very interesting you said to try the pedal..,. I read yesterday on YouTube that there is a zerk fitting for the pedals, and if you don't lube it, THE TRACTOR WON'T START!!! I forgot all about that!! So I lubed it and now it won't start!

What do I do to see if that's the problem?

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
does the starter spin when you turn the key fully right?
have you check all the fuses under the dash ?
glowplugs are EASY to test. Open hood, you'll see 3 post and 2 straps all connected(check online parts or WSM), put voltmeter on one, plus ground of course, then turn key to 'preheat' and read the voltage. Around 10 is normal, zero means no power to them. that could be relay or fuse.

just checked my BX23S diagram. IF the BX2350 has the same wiring, there isn't a fuse in the glow plug feed and the dash light is in parallel with the glowplugs, so NOT a relay problem
so... sounds like you've got 1 or 2 or 3 open glowplugs. Just be sure to have proper sized METRIC tools when replacing them !
does the starter spin when you turn the key fully right? NO
have you check all the fuses under the dash ? NO but I can hear the glow plug relay clicking now
Try stepping on the forward and reverse to recenter the pedal. A little cock to one side or the other will result in symptoms you described. I did, and smooth movement, but starter will not start!

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Thanks everybody... getting to point where I'll pick it up in the morning after I go to the dealer for parts!
I appreciate everybody's time and effort... got a good start from ALL of the suggestions. I'll post what the problem was once it's fixed and running again,.,.
SD

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
The lubed zerk won’t be the trouble. There is there, it should be lubed, but it won’t cause a problem because it was recently lubed. Each cylinder should have a glow plug near the top of the cylinder. It will be the only mechanism that all cylinders have which has a wire going to it. If two of the three glow plugs burned out over time, and the last one burned out with the last start yesterday and it’s cold enough, then maybe that’s the trouble. The last functioning glow plug just burned out. But in that case, I think you’d hear the relay click when the key was held in the glow plug position.

We suspect by “won’t start” you mean the starter turns the engine over but the engine won’t fire?

Just saw that you quoted a message and responded within that message that the starter will not turn the engine and you can hear the relay for the glow plug. Probably corrosion on the battery terminals or something pretty simple. The dealer will probably sell you a new battery regardless of the actual problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
The lubed zerk won’t be the trouble. There is there, it should be lubed, but it won’t cause a problem because it was recently lubed. Each cylinder should have a glow plug near the top of the cylinder. It will be the only mechanism that all cylinders have which has a wire going to it. If two of the three glow plugs burned out over time, and the last one burned out with the last start yesterday and it’s cold enough, then maybe that’s the trouble. The last functioning glow plug just burned out. But in that case, I think you’d hear the relay click when the key was held in the glow plug position.

We suspect by “won’t start” you mean the starter turns the engine over but the engine won’t fire?
Starter doesn't turn, and the engine therefore won't fire! It's a 16 year old machine, and I think the glow plugs will be the first thing I replace, since I can hear the relay clearly...
does the starter spin when you turn the key fully right? NO
have you check all the fuses under the dash ? NOT YET... will do it in the morning b4 trip to dealer

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
SOAK them glow plugs with a good penetrating oil, and let it set in a while.....before trying to remove them!!!

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
SOAK them glow plugs with a good penetrating oil, and let it set in a while.....before trying to remove them!!!
Thank you for the suggestion... will do tomorrow morning b4 trip to dealer...SD

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Suggest you spray them today, then again in the morning. More is better with Glow Plugs.
I have to find them first; haven't a clue what they look like at this point.... will check them put in morning... thank you, tho'

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Before you do all that if I understand ,,,,, it wont start meaning it wont turn over,, if that is the case check your PTO lever,, yes just being a little bit out of where it should be and that safety wont let it start

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I have to find them first; haven't a clue what they look like at this point.... will check them put in morning... thank you, tho'
Ok, now you’re using the quote tool correctly, good.

The starter not turning and some idea that the glow glow (or relay, which you now say you can hear cycling) are bad are probably not related. It only takes one link in a chain to fail. The odds of two or three related components in a system failing at the same time are almost as high as winning the lottery. Dealers have folks conditioned to think that the alternator, regulator, battery and starter all fail at the same time. Nope, it doesn’t happen that way. Maybe one component had a 25 cent part worn out (like a brush or contact) and next thing you know it’s a $2000 invoice.

In this case my money is on a tripped or non-op safety or corrosion on a high draw connection or related relay.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Save some time and turn the key to glow the glow plugs for 10 seconds with the hood open. Then touch each glow plug to see if it is warm or hot. Just be careful not to burn yourself. If you have an infrared heat gun, you can shoot a beam at each one and read the temperature. My guess is it is either a tired battery or one of the many safety switches isn't sitting correctly to allow cranking.

Reactions: 1 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I'll be slightly off topic in my next comment, just bare with me.

I like people who share their knowledge gained by experience and hands on. We (atleast I) have manuals for reference and visuals, but in my honest opinion, there's nothing like hands on.

And this goes out to ALL (not only here in this thread) who help. You're all AWESOME Individuals.