BX2350 overheating/tachometer not working

OC455

Equipment
BX2350 LED ROP, FEL, Belly mower,modified snow blower, pole boom, middle plow
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
Been awhile since I have been on. Working stupid hours and having no time off.

Anyhoo, noticed that the tractor has started to get up to the "red" zone of the temp gauge. I cleared the screen, and checked the radiator. Little bit of grass debris. Cleared it out. I had a small pressure washer and used it to clear the radiator from the engine side. Seemed all right, and now it seems like it is heating up very quickly without being run for very long.

Usually I can run it for the whole day without any issues. I'm waiting for it too cool down completely so I can hit it with the air compressor to blast out the radiator completely with just air.

I checked the oil and it was a little low (needs changed anyway)

I have noticed that my tachometer has stopped working (digital tachometer/hour meter) just above the steering column.

Thanks for any advice..

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may have bent the radiator fins and blocked off most of the air flow through the radiator. Best bet is to remove the radiator and look at the side you pressure washed versus the way the radiator looks in the front side (or a known good radiator.

If bent you should probably take it to a radiator repair shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Check your fan belt, your tach is reading off of the alternator. If the belt is slipping you will overheat and have no signal.

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
Check your fan belt, your tach is reading off of the alternator. If the belt is slipping you will overheat and have no signal.
That makes sense. It's been squealing through out the throttle range. Maybe due for a belt change now. Didn't think about it at the time. It makes sense.

Thank you.

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
You may have bent the radiator fins and blocked off most of the air flow through the radiator. Best bet is to remove the radiator and look at the side you pressure washed versus the way the radiator looks in the front side (or a known good radiator.

If bent you should probably take it to a radiator repair shop.

No bent fins. I pulled the cover off and checked it out from the engine side and removed everything from the driver station side and checked. Everything looked good. The pressure washer I used, was electric, so there wasn't a huge amount of pressure used and it was a wide fan pattern.

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
How easy is it to replace the belt? It doesn't look to easy as the drive shaft run to the back....ugh.

Last edited:

OC455

Equipment
Sep 30, 2016
Rome NY USA
Doesn't look too terrible to change the fan belt on it. Looks like you have to pull 3 bolts from the drive shaft to the pulley..

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Doesn't look too terrible to change the fan belt on it. Looks like you have to pull 3 bolts from the drive shaft to the pulley..
Correct, remove the 3 bolts, push the shaft rearward and turn 1/3 turn. It is much easier to put the belt over the fan first.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
No bent fins. I pulled the cover off and checked it out from the engine side and removed everything from the driver station side and checked. Everything looked good. The pressure washer I used, was electric, so there wasn't a huge amount of pressure used and it was a wide fan pattern.

That is good news! I think you should follow the advice about the fan belt.

After that (if not fixed) then move onto thermostat replacement (if you have one); water pump diagnostics to make sure it is working, and cleaning the radiator interior and exterior.

Since you say it heats up fast (and no tach) it sounds like the belt is going to fix it.

Good luck