BX23 won't start (neutral safety switch fixed!)

q240z

Equipment
BX23
Apr 20, 2022
MD
When I bought my used BX23D, only on rare occasions would the engine start with the key. It was so rare that the previous owner had wired in a push button start switch. So normally, I'd turn the key to 'ON' then hit the auxiliary start switch. While I was messing around fixing some other things today, I discovered why she wouldn't start with the key: from under the right side of the tractor I could see the neutral safety switch actuator ("neutral holder switch rod" per Kubota) wasn't lining up with the switch. I could push it into position, but it would slip out of alignment after working the control pedal back and forth a few times.
DSC08785.JPG

DSC08786.JPG

With the right rear wheel off, I could see the actuator was kind of loose on its pivot pin. There was so much slop that I could easily push it into and out of alignment with the switch button.

DSC08790.JPG

DSC08791.JPG

Kubota could have added a 1/4" of steel to the switch base plate to keep the actuator from flopping out of alignment. I could weld a little tab on to do the same thing, but it looked like that wasn't an easy part to remove. So I did a hillbilly fix instead, using a turn of stainless steel wire around the actuator pivot pin as a spacer/washer. Twisting it tight pushed the actuator up against the head of the pivot pin just enough that it has half the play it used to and stays in contact with the safety switch. Now it starts with the key every time!

DSC08794.JPG

I figure I'll run it for a week or so. If she stays fixed, the previous owner's auxiliary start switch is coming off!

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I really like your fix !

I am wondering if you could get the same kind of effect as the (weakish) wire, but with something more robust like a big C-Clip (or similar)

I fixed the rear wiper arm on my wife's car in a similar fashion about 4 years ago with galvanized fencing wire and it's still holding to this day. I was lucky in that a plastic cap flips down overtop of the repair, so I don't see it all the time. lol

Good job eh !

Reactions: 1 user

q240z

Equipment
BX23
Apr 20, 2022
MD
A C-clip would definitely be the way to go. I didn't know the size of the pin, and I don't have a C-clip collection, but I suspect that stainless wire will last a while. ;-)

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
When I bought my used BX23D, only on rare occasions would the engine start with the key. It was so rare that the previous owner had wired in a push button start switch. So normally, I'd turn the key to 'ON' then hit the auxiliary start switch. While I was messing around fixing some other things today, I discovered why she wouldn't start with the key: from under the right side of the tractor I could see the neutral safety switch actuator ("neutral holder switch rod" per Kubota) wasn't lining up with the switch. I could push it into position, but it would slip out of alignment after working the control pedal back and forth a few times.
View attachment 78833

View attachment 78834

With the right rear wheel off, I could see the actuator was kind of loose on its pivot pin. There was so much slop that I could easily push it into and out of alignment with the switch button.

View attachment 78835

View attachment 78836

Kubota could have added a 1/4" of steel to the switch base plate to keep the actuator from flopping out of alignment. I could weld a little tab on to do the same thing, but it looked like that wasn't an easy part to remove. So I did a hillbilly fix instead, using a turn of stainless steel wire around the actuator pivot pin as a spacer/washer. Twisting it tight pushed the actuator up against the head of the pivot pin just enough that it has half the play it used to and stays in contact with the safety switch. Now it starts with the key every time!

View attachment 78839

I figure I'll run it for a week or so. If she stays fixed, the previous owner's auxiliary start switch is coming off!
I'm having some starting problems with the BX23. In a different post, I asked for help and this neutral switch was mentioned. This may be a potential fix for my problem, too. I'll take the right tire off and have a look. Thanks for the pictures...they really help.

TG

q240z

Equipment
BX23
Apr 20, 2022
MD
My hillbilly fix has been working great. The tractor is so much easier to use with that safety switch working properly. Let me know if you had the same problem.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
My hillbilly fix has been working great. The tractor is so much easier to use with that safety switch working properly. Let me know if you had the same problem.
Yes, I'll let you know. I'm working on things but didn't get that far today to access the switch. I may have other problems. :-(

TG

q240z

Equipment
BX23
Apr 20, 2022
MD
All you have to do to see if the neutral safety switch actuator is out of position is slide under the tractor and look up. No need to remove the wheel or do anything else.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
All you have to do to see if the neutral safety switch actuator is out of position is slide under the tractor and look up. No need to remove the wheel or do anything else.
Good to know. I'll look tomorrow. Thank you.

TG