BX23 loose steering

Scratchshooter

Equipment
BX23
Jun 14, 2012
Bella Vista, California
I've checked the two brackets that can at times get loose and cause loose steering, but that is not the case this time. Everything else works great on the tractor ... Any thoughts on this symptom.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Shooter,,, would you please give a little more detail to whats going on,,you know the who,, what,, where,, and when,, on your BX like what do you mean by loose steering,, I have a BX and if theres a problem I would like to know about it as well

mehig

Equipment
BX2230, MASSEY 1033, Bobcat 753,Gravely Cl
Jun 1, 2012
kentucky
I've checked the two brackets that can at times get loose and cause loose steering, but that is not the case this time. Everything else works great on the tractor ... Any thoughts on this symptom.
Sounds like he may be talking about being able to turn the steering wheel and it doesn't change the direction of the front wheels....it's a momentary lapse in control of the front wheels......which in my case was the steering cylinder "O" ring failure which was a straight forward repair.

Scratchshooter

Equipment
BX23
Jun 14, 2012
Bella Vista, California
The local Kubota dealer mentioned at times the pump will suck air into the hydraulic system if a leak is present at the intake to the pump. So far I changed the filter and tightened the two brackets that hold the steering cylinder. While the steering is better, I do think there is air in the steering control box and am looking into how you bleed this system. I will also look into the steering cylinder O rings.

mehig

Equipment
BX2230, MASSEY 1033, Bobcat 753,Gravely Cl
Jun 1, 2012
kentucky
The local Kubota dealer mentioned at times the pump will suck air into the hydraulic system if a leak is present at the intake to the pump. So far I changed the filter and tightened the two brackets that hold the steering cylinder. While the steering is better, I do think there is air in the steering control box and am looking into how you bleed this system. I will also look into the steering cylinder O rings.
PERSONALLY....I fail to understand how AIR can get into the system w/o fluid leaking somewhere. There are several recent posts concerning steering issues several of them mine. WHEN NOT RUNNING/ OR RUNNING I could slowly turn my steering wheel in any direction w/o affecting the front wheels, If you turned the steering wheel quickly or back and forth the steering would engage momentarily and it will get progressively worse if it is indeed the steering cylinder......bleeding the system can be done by turning the steering wheel back and forth several times stop to stop.

Last edited: