BX2230 Front Steering Hydraulic Cylinder Repair

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Bought a Seal Kit for my BX2230 Front Steering Cylinder after noticing both sides outer seals were leaking after sitting all winter. Got the cylinder tore apart and the tie rods off - the hydraulic cylinder rod itself has a middle seal that is held on by a very stiff clip on both sides of the middle round part that houses the outer and inner O-rings. What is the best way to remove this clip? It is not like most clips you see - no ears - no holes to use. The stiff clip is just cut on an angle and in opposite directions so it is difficult to pry open. I just need to get one side of to replace the O-rings. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! There are similar larger clips holding the outer seals but were much easier to remove.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Bought a Seal Kit for my BX2230 Front Steering Cylinder after noticing both sides outer seals were leaking after sitting all winter. Got the cylinder tore apart and the tie rods off - the hydraulic cylinder rod itself has a middle seal that is held on by a very stiff clip on both sides of the middle round part that houses the outer and inner O-rings. What is the best way to remove this clip? It is not like most clips you see - no ears - no holes to use. The stiff clip is just cut on an angle and in opposite directions so it is difficult to pry open. I just need to get one side of to replace the O-rings. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! There are similar larger clips holding the outer seals but were much easier to remove.
j
1650193482031.jpg

The are called angle tip constant section lock rings - used on a lot of different things. I probably bought these pliers 40 years ago. Don't leave home without them.

1650193206757.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
Those are a pain to get out. I used a pick and small screwdriver to get it off when I rebuilt my BX22 cylinder.

Reactions: 1 users

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Those are a pain to get out. I used a pick and small screwdriver to get it off when I rebuilt my BX22 cylinder.
The larger clips were a pain but I did get them - went out and bought a good set of picks yesterday - still fighting with it. Another response was to get a pair of angle tip pliers - I will eventually get it, Thanks!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The larger clips were a pain but I did get them - went out and bought a good set of picks yesterday - still fighting with it. Another response was to get a pair of angle tip pliers - I will eventually get it, Thanks!
Get the pliers and quite buying the wrong tools. They are $15 and made specifically for removing and installing that type of retaining ring. There will be no fight using them.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Dustyx2

Equipment
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
Its the type of ring they are made for. What am I missing?

Dan
Look at the taper on the left. How is it going to spread against that? I've never used that tool, but I can't see it getting any purchase against that side of the ring.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Look at the taper on the left. How is it going to spread against that? I've never used that tool, but I can't see it getting any purchase against that side of the ring.
I own and have used the tool more than once.

Pry that end up out of the groove so the ears on the pliers can get a grip on the sharp point. A small screw driver or one of your picks slipped under the end will hold it in place. If need be do the same on the other end. The serrations on the ears are there to prevent the sharp pointed ends on the rings from slipping off when you spread the jaws.

The tool is designed specifically for removing and installing rings with angle cut ends and has worked well for me - YMMV,

Dan

Dustyx2

Equipment
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
Ok I can see how that would work. As I recall it was getting the end up was the hard part, then the screwdriver worked it out of the groove pretty easily.

Reactions: 1 user

ZD326S

Aug 19, 2017
Owensburg, Indiana
Thanks for the advice and responses - checked local stores for the pliers and ended up calling a local hydraulics company and just took it to them and they put it back together and fixed the outer seals. Ended up not even messing with the center seal since the steering was not the problem - just the outer seal leaks. They then air pressure tested it for what I though was a reasonable fee. Ready to put it back on and try it out. Thanks again!