BX2200D Won't stay running

Raduck77

Equipment
BX2200D
Apr 16, 2024
Texas
Hello all,
I have a '99 BX2200D that has an issue.
A little back story; About a year ago I started getting a real bad shudder and stalling after the engine was good and warm, but the engine wouldn't die. It acted like a fuel issue, so I changed both filters. It ran great after that, so I assume it was fixed. A month or so later it came back. I changed the filters again because they were dirty again. I then started reading on here and found a post about cleaning the fuel tank because the sending unit corrodes or whatever...So I did that (what a pain!!). The shudder went away for good...until the current issue started.
My battery was getting pretty weak so I was jump starting the tractor every time I needed to use it. This worked fine so I bought the cheapest portable jump starter I could find, because it was way cheaper than a new battery. Worked great until this weekend.
I jumped the tractor like usual and went about using it, about an hour into using it, the tractor started shuddering real bad and then died. I jumped it and it started and ran for a few minutes. Shuddered and died again. I did this a couple times with the same result. Last time I jumped it, I left the jump starter connected and it didn't shudder or die. I drove it back up to the house and unhooked the jump starter, same thing, it died shortly after.
My question is, what could cause this behavior? I thought the tractor could run with a battery, so I am lost for what to even look for. The injectors don't require electric, right? Could it be the dynamo or voltage regulator?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
First thing - replace the battery - bite the bullet and get a new one! There is a run solenoid that has to be be held open if I am not mistaken - low voltage/amperage is causing it to close - A good battery will fix this.

And the shuttering - I would suspect something STILL in the tank that is holding back fuel flow.

IF you are getting "bad diesel" I would maybe look at a different source for fuel.

Another thing to consider is the "ol coffee screen" that some of use at the tank fill mouth - works well on keeping small crap out!

HERE is one that "should fit"

https://www.amazon.com/iAesthete-Co...r&qid=1633642137&sprefix=cold+,aps,185&sr=8-9

Raduck77

Equipment
BX2200D
Apr 16, 2024
Texas
I guess I'll go ahead and replace the battery and see what happens. This recent shuddering and dying seems to be related to the battery, so maybe that will fix it. Definitely going to get a coffee filter for the fill mouth! Thank you!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I guess I'll go ahead and replace the battery and see what happens. This recent shuddering and dying seems to be related to the battery, so maybe that will fix it. Definitely going to get a coffee filter for the fill mouth! Thank you!
I would measure the filler neck - some of us with the BX series have a little different specs on the size and DEPTH of the filter. Some have worked well - where as others not so much.

I bought that one for my BX1850 - went it and then needed a little "push" - rarely if every take it out

Mountainman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501, B7100, B6000, BX24, B1750, B2400
They have a fuel shutoff solenoid that requires power to hold it open. As soon as it looses power i.e. turning the key switch the solenoid shuts off fuel flow. So while you definitely need to get a battery, once you do you'll want to check the charging circuit as well as I assume that's what was keeping it running when you removed the jump box

BX'r

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 13, 2020
ipsc
I'm experiencing the same symptoms with a bx2370, I have a feeling it's the fuel pump, haven't tested anything or looked inside the tank yet.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm experiencing the same symptoms with a bx2370, I have a feeling it's the fuel pump, haven't tested anything or looked inside the tank yet.

The lift pump PSI rating is fairly low - like 3 psi, when you turn the key (as if you are glowing) you should hear constant ticking noise. IF you do not hear the ticking - it may be time to get another lift pump.

TO test the pump - take hose off the filter next to the engine - see what comes out, with a full tank and gravity's help it should slowly trickle out - turn the key to the "on" position and see if it picks up - it should come out a bit faster. You may need to bleed the system if you do this - which is easy, hook hose back up, and turn the key to "on" for about 30 seconds - this will force any air that may have entered the line.

BX'r

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 13, 2020
ipsc
I can hear the pump but barely.
It starts and runs fine until it warms up, say an hour or more of running then it starts to stall out.
Leave it sit and it runs fine again.
I'll get into it when it warms up, snowing today.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
That lift pump seems to be an 'option' for my BX23S... Other day while underneath looking for oil leak ,saw the connector unplugged ! Have no idea WHEN that happened,but after last filter changes(last fall). Engine ran fine for months....
I suspect 'crud' in the tank. It gets dislodged every so often and oopsy, engine stops. A random event. A 'bad' battery would(should ) be a more consistent problem. However replace battery since you have to jump every time. Also inspect, maybe replace both battery cables if there's ANY corrosion on them.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I can hear the pump but barely.
It starts and runs fine until it warms up, say an hour or more of running then it starts to stall out.
Leave it sit and it runs fine again.
I'll get into it when it warms up, snowing today.
Here is something to keep in mind - the BX will run with a bad fuel pump IF THE TANK is full most of the time, once you get below 1/2 the gravity will not push the fluid to the injector pump.
If pump is still fine - the fuel flow is clogged via the tank.

Reactions: 1 user