BX1850 need HST Fan

S.Wells

Equipment
BX1850
Well I did it today. Turns out I should have finished fabricating the under belly armor for my BX1850. I took it out today to mow a clover plot. I didn't have the belly mower on. I thought if be fine in a flat field mowing 16" clover down to 10". Guess I was wrong!!!

Anyway every blade on my HST fan is gone now. Does anyone have a part number and a place I could order one from?? I have no local dealer and bought the tractor used. Closest dealer is about 80 miles away.

Really need to get this fixed soon I use this machine almost daily around home and on my 185 acre hunting ground.

How much of a job will replacing be? Doesn't look to awful bad but any tips are appreciated!

Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Well I did it today. Turns out I should have finished fabricating the under belly armor for my BX1850. I took it out today to mow a clover plot. I didn't have the belly mower on. I thought if be fine in a flat field mowing 16" clover down to 10". Guess I was wrong!!!

Anyway every blade on my HST fan is gone now. Does anyone have a part number and a place I could order one from?? I have no local dealer and bought the tractor used. Closest dealer is about 80 miles away.

Really need to get this fixed soon I use this machine almost daily around home and on my 185 acre hunting ground.

How much of a job will replacing be? Doesn't look to awful bad but any tips are appreciated!

Thanks
From my little experience - the fan is cheap....somewhere I read 8 bucks ! not sure if that is true, but getting to it is a grade A beeaaaauch from what I have heard! Search this forum and other forums, somewhere I read how to do it

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Thanks
This of for a bx 25, should be similar

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/168618-bx25-hst-fan-replacement-2.html

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
The earlier models were easier than the later ones. The dealer was working on a hydraulic line on our BX2200 and noticed I had missing blades and put a new one on, he said the later models like our BX2660 are a bear.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Seems to me , I remember someone splitting the fan in half and installing it as 2 pieces.
I had seen that posted elsewhere. Can't remember where though. They said something like cut it in half and use super glue and zip ties to put it back together. judt make sure you have the fins going in the correct direction.

You would think that it wouldn't be to hard for Kubota to fab/make a replacement fan that would be pre split and bolted back together. Even if they would charge 3-4 times as much as they do now it would be worth it.

Ikeroberts

Equipment
2009 Kubota BX2360, 09 Ringo 8000lb dual axle trailer, 09 Mitsubishi Raider 6cyl
Nov 9, 2012
MountainTop, PA
Messicks sells the fan online for $10. My dealer cut the one side of the fan all the way through. Twist the two ends open and slip it over the driveshaft. Bolt it in place and tighten everything up. Dealer says it takes about 2 hours to do the job. Cost me about $120 total.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
krist its gona take you a month to put it all back together

S.Wells

Equipment
BX1850
krist its gona take you a month to put it all back together
Took me maybe 3 hours tops to take apart. Pretty straight forward just kinda time consuming. Would go a lot faster with an extra set of hands. I'd say I'll have it back together in under 2 hours now that I know where everything bolts mounts and goes. Let ya know when I'm done!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's still naked...:eek:
Where is the FEL, Backhoe, ROPS, MMM, wheel weights, LED work lights, cup holder????;):D:p

BenRich

Equipment
BX1870D w/FEL, Land Pride FDR1648 Mower, Land Pride RBO560 Scrape Blade
Good job. I hope I don't have to tackle this someday as I have the BXpanded armor under my BX1870 (no mid-mount mower). However, if I do, it's good to know that it can be done by those not afraid to try.

Ben

ibgolfr

Equipment
BX1850, 54" deck, Loader and rear blade
Nov 16, 2015
Effingham, Il
Talked to one dealer...got one answer. Talked to second one and got a completely different one. Called Kubota..after trying some I did get a call from a Tech. After listening to ne tell him that I had gotten two different stories (directions) from two different dealers...his only response was...take it to a dealer. I am thinking I should have been thinking some other color than Orange when I bought this BX1850. I asked him if there was a service sheet issued by Kubota to dealers re: the removal of the drive shaft--his suggestion, buy a Shop manual. I am thinking Customer Service has like so many other things in the old USA, gone to hell.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
The fan replacement on some BXs is different than others, so I can understand the confusion; different color tractor isn't going to be different, we have two different orange brands, red and green.

ibgolfr

Equipment
BX1850, 54" deck, Loader and rear blade
Nov 16, 2015
Effingham, Il
Well you learn something new every day. On the BX1850's and the early 1860's, the drive shaft assembly is different than the later 1860's and beyond I suspect. In the later version, Kubota introduced a new part--they call it a spacer. It is installed between the motor pulley and the front coupling. It is 2" long and what this does is place the front coupling rearward and just beyond the under belly superstructre frame opening. Because of this addition, they also shortened the shaft by a like amount 2". The reason I know this is that I purchased a used complete shaft assembly listed on Ebay as for a BX1850/60. I wanted to take it apart and explore cutting the shaft in half and fashioning a new sleeve to connect the two ends. I do believe that a rigid shaft coupling could be employed if one wanted to do it.

However, looking at the newer assembly, I am beginning to believe that Kubota made a change because of all the problems one needs to go though to simply replace a fan. I believe that--in looking things over--the spacer can be removed or at least pushed aside allowing the front shaft coupling to be moved forward thus allowing the rear coupling to be freed from the transmission spline without having to move the motor forward as in the older models discussed here. I brought this new assembly to the attention of a local Kubota dealer service tech. and after reviewing the newer version he agrees with my assumption (I know what assumptions can lead to).

However, after removing the floor pan to take a closer look, I am bewildered. Everyone I have talked to and from the discussions here, the shaft must be removed from through the top. Okay, I will buy that; however, in eye-balling the shaft in place, I am wondering just how in the H the front coupling can be drawn out of the available clearing without having to remove some of the hydro piping and the center brace under the battery box. The hub of the front coupling must be 3" OD and there certainly isn't that much of an opening with just the floor pan removed.:confused:

Now there must be someone out there, maybe even a Kubota tech. who has actually accomplished this project using the new shaft assembly. First, am I thinking correctly that the added spacer was introduced for exactly the reason I think it was done for--ease of removal? Second, can a newer assembly with the spacer be removed and installed without having to move the motor like before? Third, can the front coupling--attached to the shaft as a complete assembly--be withdrawn from the tractor by the removal of the floor pan alone, or is it necessary to remove more items from immediately below the battery shelf in order to increase the clearance?

I am now thinking that if you have an older style shaft assembly, rather than move the motor, cut the shaft and pull the two end. Then order a new shorter shaft, spacer and front coupling since Kubota seems to believe the coupling is different. Install the rear coupling on the new shaft, including the new fan. Then insert the front pointing shaft with the coupling ball receiver mounted on the shaft through the floor opening. From the bottom, install the front coupling parts and snap ring. Shaft now ready to install.

Comments? and has anyone worked with a newer style shaft assembly?:)