BX1850 HST, new to me

badcompany

Oct 19, 2017
Georgia
I recently purchased this fine piece of machinery. Thus far I've been impressed with it, especially the MMM. The prior owner must have spent some time getting it right, it cuts perfectly and my yard is anything but flat/smooth.

I'll definitely be upgrading the seat, not sure why they would put a 45 degree backrest on it.

I've almost gotten used to the HST. It's still a little foreign to not have a clutch. I'm baffled by the design though - when you let off the forward/reverse pedal it's the equivalent of slamming on the brakes. Why in the world does it not go into neutral when you release the fwd/reverse pedal? It makes in nearly impossible to brake quickly (but not slam/jolt). Opinions?

dfh1977

Jun 3, 2013
east ky
Might need hst pedal adjusted. Check dealer or look up wildfire videos on adjusting it if comfortable to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm baffled by the design though - when you let off the forward/reverse pedal it's the equivalent of slamming on the brakes. Why in the world does it not go into neutral when you release the fwd/reverse pedal? It makes in nearly impossible to brake quickly (but not slam/jolt). Opinions?
Because if it went to neutral it would roll away or keep rolling everytime you let off the pedal.
Don't release your foot off the pedal, ease up on it and it will slow down without the solid quick brake stop.

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
Think of your transmission single lever faucet. When on you can go from hot to cold just by moving the lever right or left. Pull down on the lever and water stops. Similar scenario with hystat. Push the pedal forward or backward and you get movement. Center is off. You have fluid drive now. Learn to feather the pedal when stopping.

badcompany

Oct 19, 2017
Georgia
Because if it went to neutral it would roll away or keep rolling everytime you let off the pedal.
Don't release your foot off the pedal, ease up on it and it will slow down without the solid quick brake stop.
It would roll away until you used the brakes. Let off the gas/fwd, apply brakes as needed just like in your truck, 4-wheeler, etc. Seems like this would be so much better than trying to brake appropriately by feathering off the fwd/reverse pedal. Also, then I'm using the brakes to stop the machine, instead of the hst.

Maybe one of the reasons it's set up this way is to allow for better/4wd braking? I'm still pondering over the whole idea.

I'm getting more and more used to it, but still not sure that'll i'll ever feel it's better this way. I thought i would miss the clutch, but i don't!