BX1830 - all electrical fail

fishinroc25

Equipment
Kubota BX1830 w/loader, custom front plow, 3-pt trailer hitch, Carry All
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
The other night I was taking my BX to my parents to finish building my snowplow (which came out awesome), but when I pulled the tractor out and turned the lights on, nothing would turn on.... I attempted to use them a few other times thinking that the switch may be just giving me a fit, but nothing. I noticed later on that none of my dash lights worked, my glow plug was not engaging, and my fuel & temp gauges bottomed out (apparently off). I checked all my fuses in the battery compartment and checked all of the switch connections as well. There was one 15 amp fuse blown, but even after replacing it nothing still worked.

Does anyone have any ideas or am I missing something? I’m just a backyard mechanic so can’t rule out I’m not missing something!

Thanks and have a Wonderful & Safe Thanksgiving!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
see if this applies to your tractor.....
50 amp slow blow / fusible link

Attachments

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If it's not the slow blow fuse which isolates all control power including starting, and you have checked/removed/tested all other fuses, the most likely will be a faulty IGN switch, or a loose connection on the back of the IGN switch, ACC/ON terminal.

Last edited:

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
Thanks guys. I’ll check that slow blow fuse, tomorrow morning. But if the slow blow fuse controls everything, I wouldn’t be able to run the tractor at all, right? I am able to use the tractor still, just don’t have any gauges, glow plug or lights..

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Your solenoid is activating, so 12v is good. Sounds like the dash might have taken a dump.

Id look for a ladder wiring diagram and see what line feeds the dash lights, gauges. Could just be a bad ground.

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
Your solenoid is activating, so 12v is good. Sounds like the dash might have taken a dump.

Id look for a ladder wiring diagram and see what line feeds the dash lights, gauges. Could just be a bad ground.

I’m leaning towards a bad ground, now I got to find it!! Ohhh fun.. thanks again for the help!

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
Hello everyone,

So an update to my previous electrical issues... Problem still exists, I DO have my glow plug though, just no lights (incl turn/hazard signals) and dash functions (temp & fuel). A month ago I went through checked, cleaned and re-secured all the connections, grounds etc. Everything was good, the slow blow fuse was fine, etc. I thought I isolated the problem to be the main regulator under the dash, so replaced that and nope that is not the problem... To just try, I did replace the battery thinking maybe I’m not getting the proper amount of amps or volts to accommodate the electrical system, no changes there either.

Does any one have any new recommendations? I really do not want to take it to the Kubota dealer...

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
Thank D2Cat, but I’m not having issues with the tractor starting and all my wires are in good condition... My issue is I do t have lights, turn signals, or my dash functions (fuel gauge, temp gauge and dummy lights).

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Have you taken the dash off and checked the plugs to see if any get voltage when the key is turned on?

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
Haven’t removed the dash completely, but have taken every connection (switches and dummy lights) out and verified all were good with voltage. I’m running out of ideas... I’m sure if is something stupid and small, but man I can not locate it!

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
You have good voltage but the lights do not work.

You may have a bad connection that looks good when not under load, but fails when under load.

Here's an idea. Make a jumper cable with a red and black wire. Large clamps on one end with fuses close to the big clamps. Other end use alligator clips or whatever to attach to connector pins.

Unhook the battery. Pull the connector to either the left or right headlamp. Connect your test jumper to the pins leading to the headlamp. Now connect the big clamps to the battery.

You should have the headlamps working.

Now work back from the headlamps through the switch, fuse block, etc.

Since you have multiple issues, it is very likely that a negative conductor is the culprit. The conductor from battery to ground could have a problem inside one of its terminals. Try bypassing that with another conductor to see if you get headlights.

Good luck.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Don't know if it can cause the symptoms, but seems couple guys had BX dash pin connectors get corroded and cause problems.

Again, haven't studied my own BX wiring diagram.....so take it for what it's worth. Might not be much.

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
My issue is I do t have lights, turn signals, or my dash functions (fuel gauge, temp gauge and dummy lights).
Do your hazards work? (Generally separate power supply from turn signals)

Post up a pic of the wiring diagram if you have the service manual, if you don't, message North Idaho Wolfman, he may have one squirreled away somewhere.
I have the BX1800 manual which is the previous model, whilst it's most likely not correct, it's power supply to all the functions you are missing is controlled by a 15A fuse, so recheck your fuses and ensure they aren't blown again, ensure the fuse is plugged in correctly, not going down the side of the connector instead of into the connector. If they are the glass inline type, a lot of times a bad connection happens at the end of the plastic tube, the connection overheats and melts the plastic and the electrical connector recedes into the plastic stopping the fuse from making a connection with the contact, hence no power flows.

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
No hazards, turn signals, headlights/taillights, dash (dummy) lights, temp gauge, or fuel gauge... I did check that power supply for the hazards & turn signals and it seemed to check out ok. I replaced the regulator assembly and that didn’t do anything.

I have tried to post a picture of the wiring diagram, but for some reason it won’t let me.. I’m using the app tapatalk and that may be why.

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
No hazards, turn signals, headlights/taillights, dash (dummy) lights, temp gauge, or fuel gauge...

I did check that power supply for the hazards & turn signals and it seemed to check out ok.
Are saying you have power to the hazards AND turn signals?
What do you mean - it seemed to check out OK?

If you have power to hazards AND turn signals, you are likely missing a ground connection somewhere (guessing without seeing wiring diagram)?

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Try and post the wiring diagram to google docs or other hosting site

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
No, I do not have power going to any of them

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
Ok guys, I was able to upload them through Tapatalk. There should be (6) wiring diagrams for my BX1830D. Thanks for the patience, a little newer at this.