BX1800 won't shut off

sumpnfishy

Equipment
BX1800
Sep 19, 2014
Indianapolis
This has been an intermittent problem the past 2 years and it just started acting up again. Turn the key off and remove it and engine keeps running. I use a stick to push in the stop solenoid to shut it down. Searching through posts I see similar issues but nothing intermittent. Occasionally I have to mess with the ignition switch to get the tractor to start. I'm leaning towards that being the problem but just wondering what others think.

Purchased in 2003 and has a little over 300 hours on it. Once it starts it runs fine. Right now it's just annoying to always have a stick around to shut it off. :rolleyes:

Dennis

Pap

Equipment
BX2360 G1900
Feb 12, 2015
Middletown, pa
I have read where there are a lot of ign, switch problems with the BX tractors. Worse when they sit out side all the time.

sumpnfishy

Equipment
BX1800
Sep 19, 2014
Indianapolis
Finally got a chance to troubleshoot this and the shutoff solenoid is not getting the shutoff voltage. If I give it 12v it works fine. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get the ignition switch off to try and test it. Cannot find any diagrams that show what holds it in the dash....

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
You could always add a manual "Shut off" button to the dash that runs battery voltage to the solenoid... that is if you don't want to change out the ignition switch.

Reactions: 1 user

sumpnfishy

Equipment
BX1800
Sep 19, 2014
Indianapolis
You could always add a manual "Shut off" button to the dash that runs battery voltage to the solenoid... that is if you don't want to change out the ignition switch.
Yes that might be an option. Then there is the run a wire to the pull and just manually shut it off like that, less to fail with that method. ;)

OldnTired

Equipment
2013 BX1860
Feb 26, 2023
E. Tennessee
I just wanted to share what I found on my BX1860. It would start and run fine but would not shut off with ignition switch. I had to manually depress the fuel shut off by hand to kill the engine when I was finished. I check all connections I could find and all seemed tight. Used a 12volt tester to the shut off solenoid and found that it was not getting power when turned off as it should. I checked all fuses and found that fuse #6, lower right in box, was blown. I replaced the 10 amp fuse and now had power to the shut off solenoid. I reconnected the solenoid wire and started the engine, I then shut it off and it shut off as it should by the switch. I then started the engine and was going to drive for a bit and as soon as I depressed the hydro pedal it would try to die. If I returned to neutral it would keep running. I shut it off and dived deeper into it. I remembered that this all started not long after my son in law had hit a hole rather hard while mowing. He is a rather big boy and it was quite the bump. I disconnected the seat safety switch and it still did the same thing. I noticed that the wire loom under the seat appeared to be compressed in one spot pretty flat.
I opened the loom and found that one of the wires were broken in the loom at the compression point. I soldered in a splice, re-wrapped the loom then re-routed it so it wouldn't be trapped between seat and tractor. Everything works as it should now.

Reactions: 1 user