BX1500 wont start

BX1500 Loren

Equipment
Kubota BX1500
Jun 25, 2024
Monroe, Mi
Hi guys. New to this forum.
I have a 2004 BX1500 that won't start. Below are the items that I have already done, and my tractor will not start. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.
  1. Replaced starter solenoid with new solenoid.
  2. Was able to jump the starter to start tractor.
  3. Replaced with new ignition switch/key.
  4. Replaced ignition relay with new.
  5. Replaced all 4 safety switches and PTO front/rear switch (I thought it was a safety switch).
  6. Cleaned all electrical connections (safety switches, fuses, connections under hood) with electric contact spray, blown out with compressed air and reconnected with dielectric grease.
  7. Load tested battery – Good.
  8. Checked all grounds, cleaned with wire brush, and reconnected.
  9. Check continuity of wires.
I cannot find any switch for the accelerator pedal to assure it is centered. Is there any internal switch to let the tractor know that you have depressed the brake pedal while starting?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Is this a dead stick or will it turn over and not start?

You said in #2 that you bypassed the switch and the tractor started - so this is a good clue.

With all the replacements parts - are they all OEM or off the shelf stuff via online source?

BX1500 Loren

Equipment
Kubota BX1500
Jun 25, 2024
Monroe, Mi
Totally dead. Won't turn over. The glow plug lights come on and I can hear the fuel pump ticking. All parts bought online - Amazon (ignition switch, relay, solenoid, safety switches).

BX1500 Loren

Equipment
Kubota BX1500
Jun 25, 2024
Monroe, Mi
I am wondering if I have the starter solenoid connected correctly.
I have a three-pole solenoid. One is a spade connector. That one is obvious. The other two posts which are a stud and nut. I have the fat red power wire AND the small red wire connected to that one. The other stud and nut, I have what looks like a short, braided wire with a washer type connection that goes directly to the starter housing.

Lug66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, Z422KWT
Jun 7, 2023
SW Michigan
The 50 hour safety switch check you’ll see there is no HST pedal check so no safety switch on the pedal. (Test 1 and 2 are designed to create a no crank situation.) Refer to the preparation for the test. If it still fails to crank then it’s time to get the voltmeter and find out where the voltage is being lost.

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Do you have any test light or voltage meter?

There are two simple tests you can do to help with the troubleshooting of your system.
1) Key in off position and transmission in neutral (so not as much chance of tractor running over you). Take the spade wire off of the solenoid. Use a wire from battery positive terminal to touch to the spade on the solenoid. (your step 2 sounds like this is what you did).

If the tractor starter spins the engine disconnect the wire from the spade. This means the battery and starter and solenoid are working properly.

If the starter does nothing there is something wrong with the wiring of the battery, the battery or the starter.

2) Connect a volt meter or test light to the wire that was connected to the solenoid spade. The other or ground wire should be connected to ground or the negative battery terminal. Try to act like you are starting the tractor (sit in seat, press clutch down (or whatever your tractor requires to start), and turn key to the start position. There should be 12 volts on the meter or the test light should be on.

If there is no voltage to the wire then you need to determine where there is power and where power is not getting to between the switch and the solenoid

If there is voltage on the wire and the starter did spin in test 1 then you should install a relay at that wire to the solenoid (see this thread for more information)

BX1500 Loren

Equipment
Kubota BX1500
Jun 25, 2024
Monroe, Mi
The 50 hour safety switch check you’ll see there is no HST pedal check so no safety switch on the pedal. (Test 1 and 2 are designed to create a no crank situation.) Refer to the preparation for the test. If it still fails to crank then it’s time to get the voltmeter and find out where the voltage is being lost.
Thanks you. I will give that a try tonight.

BX1500 Loren

Equipment
Kubota BX1500
Jun 25, 2024
Monroe, Mi
I apparently fixed the no start issue ...somehow. I disconnected the glow plug terminal wire, cleaned it up with wire brush, put it back together and it started. NOW, it won't shut off. I checked continuity of the white and black wire that go to shut off solenoid and it is good. Cleaned up the connector with spray, blew out with compressed air and used dielectric grease but still no shut off. I replaced the solenoid shut off about 2 years ago.