BX1500 wont move

ShaneV

Equipment
BX1500
Feb 15, 2011
Houston, TX
I got a BX1500 from my father-in-law, but it currentlly wont go forward or reverse. It has a HST and when you press on the pedal (in forward or reverse) it just makes a whiney fast clicking sound. Ocassionally it will seem to catch and move, and will stay moving until you stop then its back to the same sound.

The FEL and 3PT move fine and with power. The engine starts right up and runs great.

I was told it had engine and transmission fluid/filters changed and the suction screen cleaned out, but it was running fine since then for a short period of time.

My gut tells me to go ahead and try changing out the transmission fluid/filter and reclean the suction screen as a starting point to diagnosing whats wrong. Or does it point to something else entirely and that would be a waste of money?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ShaneV

Equipment
BX1500
Feb 15, 2011
Houston, TX
What's the chance that the hi-lo range shifter is sitting halfway between positions, or the 2WD/4WD shifter is in between it's detent positions?

I followed back the linkage of both to make sure its all working correctlly. Tried it in all 4 combinations of hi/low and 2wd/4wd. When Ive gotten it to move its low 4wd. Just stopping the movement and reapplying the pedal and it wont move again.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Crazzzzzy question. Is the park brake set and adjusted good enough to hold back against power.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
No Clutch of any kind in a Kubota HST. Simply a variable displacement piston type pump pumping oil to a fixed displacement piston type motor.
The sound you describe is typical of a low or no charge pump pressure. The charge oil comes from the hydraulic pump, through the loader valve, the TPH valve and the steering controller to the PTO and the PTO relief valve. Any oil that goes over relief at the PTO relief valve then goes through the oil filter to charge the Hydrostatic transmission. You are not getting any oil to the HST, Most probable cause is the wrong oil filter or a plugged oil filter.
Ed

ShaneV

Equipment
BX1500
Feb 15, 2011
Houston, TX
Thanks you for the input everyone. Im going to go ahead and replace the filter and suction screen and transmission fluid this weekend and do a thorough inspection of the throttle pedal and brake system.

ShaneV

Equipment
BX1500
Feb 15, 2011
Houston, TX
Changed out the transmission fluid (with Super UDT)/filter/ and a new suction screen, but still having relatively the same problem. Im able to get it to move in forward a bit more often, but cant get it into reverse at all.

When moving forward it will occasionally "slip" out and stop moving. (and make that fast clicking noise). Playing around with the engine speed I can make it catch back and start moving again going forward. Was able to push it into a pile and spin the wheels in 4wd, when it cathes it goes strong.

Not sure where to go from here.

UWAdventurer

Equipment
Kubota L3400 w/FEL & Woods 7500 backhoe
May 24, 2011
Coatesville, IN
ShaneV, what did you figure out on your BX1500? I have just started having similar problems with mine. Looking for help.

Thanks.

Pistonbroke15

Oct 11, 2016
Edmonton, Alberta
I found this on another forum, the preventive maintenance for the problem is to change the HST fluid every 50 hours and add STP.

Mike ShultzeThis may not be the same as Kubota tractors,
but at work we have parking lot sweepers that have Kubota engines and are HST. They use the
Kubota HST fluid from the dealer. We have had them stop going forward and reverse, engine
ran fine. Upon break down of the parts looking for the reason, we found the pumps would be
all scored up and seals blown. They looked like a piston that had been run without oil. We found
the same thing with the hydraulic motors the pumps provided fluid for. These hydraulic motors
were what drove the machine forward and reverse, there were also hydraulic motors of the same
make that drove the brushes and steering. All the hydraulic motors would end up looking the
same, but would not all go out at the same time. The hydraulic fluid was changed before the book
said to change, the filters looked like engine oil filters and had one for each hydraulic motor, and was changed when the fluid was changed. After a few years of this and not finding a good answer all we could think of is the hydraulic fluid wasn’t good enough, and didn’t have enough lubrication in it. These sweepers had much the same action as a tractor, low speed, forward and backward, sharp turns,
and 1/2 day running time. We finally replaced the main pump and all the motors and lines to
be sure no contamination would destroy the repair, we filled the system with the super UDT fluid and added STP to about a 10% mix, and that got us about twice the time out of the machines before the same thing happened again. The set up was not like a Kubota tractor, but all mounted on a frame and lines running to each motor from the pump and control valves, but did work on the same idea. I think all the components were Kubota manufactured, but would not sware to it. All 5 sweepers have been rebuilt in the HST area many times now, and are doing better at lasting with the extra lube in the UDT fluid. As for me, I would never have any HST product of any brand, and that’s from my experience on these beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistonbroke15

Oct 11, 2016
Edmonton, Alberta
As MPM mentioned, keep the RPMs up. That translates to using a lower gear, if you have a choice. The lower gear reduces the torque necessary from the hydraulic motor, and reduces the pressure required from the pump, as well as pushing more fluid through the transmission cooler. This is particularly important when you are digging with the front loader or pulling a heavy implement, like a full box blade. If you find yourself feathering the HST to keep from lugging the engine, shift down. It is very tempting to ease into the pile in mid range, because you can move faster with a full bucket. That puts a tremendous strain on the HST. Hey, it’s your tractor, and your repair bills. Drive it like you own it, and it will last a long time.

filterman

Equipment
b21, bx1500, lx178 water cool,ransomes 36",jd 300
May 27, 2021
washington
I found this on another forum, the preventive maintenance for the problem is to change the HST fluid every 50 hours and add STP.

Mike ShultzeThis may not be the same as Kubota tractors,
but at work we have parking lot sweepers that have Kubota engines and are HST. They use the
Kubota HST fluid from the dealer. We have had them stop going forward and reverse, engine
ran fine. Upon break down of the parts looking for the reason, we found the pumps would be
all scored up and seals blown. They looked like a piston that had been run without oil. We found
the same thing with the hydraulic motors the pumps provided fluid for. These hydraulic motors
were what drove the machine forward and reverse, there were also hydraulic motors of the same
make that drove the brushes and steering. All the hydraulic motors would end up looking the
same, but would not all go out at the same time. The hydraulic fluid was changed before the book
said to change, the filters looked like engine oil filters and had one for each hydraulic motor, and was changed when the fluid was changed. After a few years of this and not finding a good answer all we could think of is the hydraulic fluid wasn’t good enough, and didn’t have enough lubrication in it. These sweepers had much the same action as a tractor, low speed, forward and backward, sharp turns,
and 1/2 day running time. We finally replaced the main pump and all the motors and lines to
be sure no contamination would destroy the repair, we filled the system with the super UDT fluid and added STP to about a 10% mix, and that got us about twice the time out of the machines before the same thing happened again. The set up was not like a Kubota tractor, but all mounted on a frame and lines running to each motor from the pump and control valves, but did work on the same idea. I think all the components were Kubota manufactured, but would not sware to it. All 5 sweepers have been rebuilt in the HST area many times now, and are doing better at lasting with the extra lube in the UDT fluid. As for me, I would never have any HST product of any brand, and that’s from my experience on these beast.

Bardahls makes an advanced hyd fluid for hst with friction modifiers maybe better option than stp.