BX Wont crank

Don Brown

Equipment
BX1880TV54, LA344,
Aug 6, 2024
Florida Panhandle
This has probably been addressed before, but I haven't been able to locate a thread on it. I have a BX1880, was using it two weeks ago to mow, Was running fine when I parked it in my garage. Last week I went to start it and no joy. The starter (solenoid) only clicks. Troubleshooting, with multimeter connected to the battery, battery reads 12.4V with switch OFF. ignition to ON the battery reads the same. Ignition to GLOW Battery read 12.0V. Turn ignition to START battery goes to 6V or lower, it will stay this way even after the ignition switch is released, after about five - seven seconds when a solenoid (or a relay) releases and the voltage returns t 12.8 V. I relace the battery with one from my pickup, same results. According to the wiring diagram I have, it appears there are two interlocks which I have bypassed (direct wire to starter) to no avail. I replaced the starter with the same results. Less $150.00 bucks. I have read some about the glow plugs causing this issue I may order the kit to bypass but haven't yet.

Does anyone have any ideas that I probably missed? Thanks in advance.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
First thing first - voltage is a terribly bad indicator of starting - you could have 12.6+ volts DC on a wire the size of a human hair. While a fully charged battery will read 12.6 = the flow of electrons (amps) is where the party gets started.

So - you bypassed the key - little lug to big lug and you still have zero?

So when you had the old starter out - did you bench test it? Lay in on the bench (in a vise) and throw 12 volts to it? This will tell you if the starter is at fault.

Get a bf wrench and see if the engine will move at all - I doubt this is the problem but weirder things have happened.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Okay just to be clear the starter is not spinning the engine and therefore the engine does not run.
Everything was fine last time it was used but it has been unused one week before the trouble and now going on more time.
Battery was replaced with a known good battery from a truck. (Assuming this battery starts at least six cylinder gas engine which should be good for BX1880. Battery installed in tractor (replacing the existing battery)

Starter replaced (with what type of starter?)

I assumed that dash lights and electrical power seems to be working.

I would clean all four battery cable ends especially the ground point on the tractor frame.

If you wanted to just replace the cables and clean the battery posts and frame point that would also eliminate any chance the cables are internally failing.

If it still doesn’t crank but then suspect something is wrong with wiring or safety switches. But you will have to post back with details on how the tractor acts after you do the above troubleshooting steps.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Check the position of the mower engagement lever. The engine will not crank if the mower engagement or the PTO lever is even slightly moved toward the engage position. If that does not work, then check the seat presence switch to see if it is working.

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Did you leave the PTO engaged last use?

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
This has probably been addressed before, but I haven't been able to locate a thread on it. I have a BX1880, was using it two weeks ago to mow, Was running fine when I parked it in my garage. Last week I went to start it and no joy. The starter (solenoid) only clicks. Troubleshooting, with multimeter connected to the battery, battery reads 12.4V with switch OFF. ignition to ON the battery reads the same. Ignition to GLOW Battery read 12.0V. Turn ignition to START battery goes to 6V or lower, it will stay this way even after the ignition switch is released, after about five - seven seconds when a solenoid (or a relay) releases and the voltage returns t 12.8 V. I relace the battery with one from my pickup, same results. According to the wiring diagram I have, it appears there are two interlocks which I have bypassed (direct wire to starter) to no avail. I replaced the starter with the same results. Less $150.00 bucks. I have read some about the glow plugs causing this issue I may order the kit to bypass but haven't yet.

Does anyone have any ideas that I probably missed? Thanks in advance.
I have an idea you missed plenty if you searched OTT for terms such as BATTERY,VOLTS,CRANK,START,BOOST,CLICK, no start or anything close and didn't get more hits than you could read in 3 hours.

This question has been asked more times than every other subject combined.