BX vs B vs Used L3800

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I hear what your saying about the 2650 cab :eek:. but the cabless one aint that bad. Not sure were you are in the Mountianer state but you might do well to listen to sheep farmer and go with the L if your going to use it for bailing and work a little heaver than the 50 and wider, and really do you need a cab? I dont either but I sure would like one, Remember I have never heard anyone say, I have to much tractor,, just MHO

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I got a price quote for the b2650 (with 60" mmm) and l2501 (no mower in the quote) and both having quick detach loaders with ssqa buckets, and filled rear tires. The B2650 came in at 20,975. The L2501HST at $18,975. Both at 0% for 72mon. At 0% for 60 it would be $17,700 for the L2501. I thought the price on the L sounded good. I was hoping for a lower price on the B2650 honestly. Don't think I could swing the cab model price.
Just remember you aren't comparing apples to apples with the prices on the 2 tractors. One has a mower in it and the other doesn't. If you buy the L2501 you still have to buy a mower. Just something to consider.

jsummer2

Jul 6, 2017
WV
Just remember you aren't comparing apples to apples with the prices on the 2 tractors. One has a mower in it and the other doesn't. If you buy the L2501 you still have to buy a mower. Just something to consider.
I agree. The math looks different once you buy a lawn mower or add a RFM to the L equation.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have a B2650 with a cab, and an L3560 without, I would not consider moving round bales with the B. It is not even big enough or heavy enough to pull my small manure spreader since I have some hills. The B sized tractors will do a lot, but if you have to shift round bales frequently, one mistake and you and your tractor could be toast, or at least on your side. Most other tasks can be done with a smaller tractor with patience.

One other argument for looking at the used L, that model was being snapped up left and right 2 years ago by people wanting to avoid dpf filters on the new larger Ls. It is unlikely to cost you more to maintain than any of the others if it is currently in good order.

jsummer2

Jul 6, 2017
WV
At this point I'm leaning toward the Bs and will try to find square bales based on everyone's words of caution regarding the round bales, since 70% of my time will be spent mowing and 30% on other fun stuff anyway. My dilemma is the cost difference between B2601 vs B2650. I really like the added loader capacity for a future grabble use dream to clean up around the property but (after the dealer came down a little more to $20400) the B2650 is still $2550 more than B2601. Digging through past posts, it seemed like most people were looking at about $1500 price difference. Being a new rebate quarter might account for a small part of that but maybe only $500 or so. Has anyone recently purchased either that can chim in? B2601 with loader and ssqa 60" bucket, 60"mmm comes in at $17850. The price listed above is for the same configuration for the B2650.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
At this point I'm leaning toward the Bs and will try to find square bales based on everyone's words of caution regarding the round bales, since 70% of my time will be spent mowing and 30% on other fun stuff anyway. My dilemma is the cost difference between B2601 vs B2650. I really like the added loader capacity for a future grabble use dream to clean up around the property but (after the dealer came down a little more to $20400) the B2650 is still $2550 more than B2601. Digging through past posts, it seemed like most people were looking at about $1500 price difference. Being a new rebate quarter might account for a small part of that but maybe only $500 or so. Has anyone recently purchased either that can chim in? B2601 with loader and ssqa 60" bucket, 60"mmm comes in at $17850. The price listed above is for the same configuration for the B2650.
The B2650 has much better 3pt hitch control which makes it easier to control the height of your implement.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Step 1.
Go to your Kubota dealer and sit on each tractor....see what fits the best.
Step 2.
Look in your wallet and see what is there. (mine is currently the moth house)
Step 3.
Enjoy whatever you buy because it's orange and will last a long time.

PS. Nobody ever said...."gee, I wish I bought a smaller tractor".
I wish i bought a smaller tractor and a larger one. its step 2 that is the problem :(

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Tough to tell you what you really need, its your money. Based on what you said I'd still go with an L. You have a simlar description of what my needs are/were, give or take. The big part is the "hilly" gravity isn't very forgiving if you have a heavy load on a "hilly" area.

I looked at all 3 of those you mentioned i bought an L because i wanted to grow into it, not out of it.

If your going to take advantage of the 0% toss your implements in with it. That was one thing I didn't do. I look back and say to myself I should have got everything I needed at the time vs trying to keep the payments low. It hasn't affected me much, but I was 2 years in and no PTO toys! :(

Last edited:

jsummer2

Jul 6, 2017
WV
Tough to tell you what you really need, its your money. Based on what you said I'd still go with an L. You have a simlar description of what my needs are/were, give or take. The big part is the "hilly" gravity is very forgiving if you have a heavy load on a "hilly" area.

I looked at all 3 of those you mentioned i bought an L because i wanted to grow into it, not out of it.

If your going to take advantage of the 0% toss your implements in with it. That was one thing I didn't do. I look back and say to myself I should have got everything I needed at the time vs trying to keep the payments low. It hasn't affected me much, but I was 2 years in and no PTO toys! :(
I talked to the dealer this week and mentioned the L2501 and putting a rfm on it to do my lawn. Which I know will likely cause some tire damage with ag or r4s on the heavier L (which doesn't matter a whole lot to me. It's a farm, I don't need a pretty lawn). He said he'd sale me whatever I wanted but discouraged the L with a rfm compared to a mmm on either B. He mentioned the rpm speed of 500 rpm on the rfm of an L2501 compared to the 2500+ rpm of a mmm on a B model.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
I talked to the dealer this week and mentioned the L2501 and putting a rfm on it to do my lawn. Which I know will likely cause some tire damage with ag or r4s on the heavier L (which doesn't matter a whole lot to me. It's a farm, I don't need a pretty lawn). He said he'd sale me whatever I wanted but discouraged the L with a rfm compared to a mmm on either B. He mentioned the rpm speed of 500 rpm on the rfm of an L2501 compared to the 2500+ rpm of a mmm on a B model.
Agreed, if your going to mow/groom a lawn you might be best looking for a decicated mower vs an all in one tractor.

Did you price out the B3350? Its Pretty much the L3301 in a smaller platform.

I don't know if I would like running a B to mow my lawn, unless it was flat and could make strait runs, Like a field with not alot to mow around.

jsummer2

Jul 6, 2017
WV
Agreed, if your going to mow/groom a lawn you might be best looking for a decicated mower vs an all in one tractor.

Did you price out the B3350? Its Pretty much the L3301 in a smaller platform.

I don't know if I would like running a B to mow my lawn, unless it was flat and could make strait runs, Like a field with not alot to mow around.
I wanted to avoid the dpf tractors so never really looked at that one. And someone at the dealership mentioned they had one in the shop for a starting issue and have had others?? Or at least I think it was that one.

Rookie Farmer

Equipment
B2650 SSQD forks 60" rear finish mower
Jun 9, 2017
Tenino, WA
I was in your same boat... it only 6 acreswith animals. My wife made the decision for me once she saw the size differences between the Bx, B and L. I had my mind set on a L33 but wife vetoed that. She also vetoed the bx saying that we weren't buying a 15,000 riding mower.... so I got a B2650 at the 0% for 84 mo. I have actually moved a small round bail with it. I mow 3 acres with a 60" rear finish mower, and have a set of pallet forks. Will need ballast to move round bails. I have never had any luck with a 3pt auger. Do yourself a favor and rent with mini skid steer with hydraulic auger. $300/day in my area and I drilled 150-30" deepx10" dia.(actually 16 yr. old daughter) in a day. So in a couple days you got your 9 acres drilled out. Brush hog won't cut as clean as what you might expect so either a separate mower for the nice areas or a finish mower once the area is knocked down or there is no debris. With 25 hours on it now I don't regret buying a new tractor or the size that fits for me.

jsummer2

Jul 6, 2017
WV
I was in your same boat... it only 6 acreswith animals. My wife made the decision for me once she saw the size differences between the Bx, B and L. I had my mind set on a L33 but wife vetoed that. She also vetoed the bx saying that we weren't buying a 15,000 riding mower.... so I got a B2650 at the 0% for 84 mo. I have actually moved a small round bail with it. I mow 3 acres with a 60" rear finish mower, and have a set of pallet forks. Will need ballast to move round bails. I have never had any luck with a 3pt auger. Do yourself a favor and rent with mini skid steer with hydraulic auger. $300/day in my area and I drilled 150-30" deepx10" dia.(actually 16 yr. old daughter) in a day. So in a couple days you got your 9 acres drilled out. Brush hog won't cut as clean as what you might expect so either a separate mower for the nice areas or a finish mower once the area is knocked down or there is no debris. With 25 hours on it now I don't regret buying a new tractor or the size that fits for me.
Funny, sounds like our wifes are in agreement on the size of the L's. Clean cut is not a real priority for me. Where I'd use a brush hog is just clean up duty after the cows, and the goats have their fill. When moving the small bale, was it with the FEL or TPH?

Last edited:

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
BTW they all look big at the dealer. Then you get them home and it's like why is this thing so small? :cool:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I bought a slightly used L3800DT 5-6 years ago a absolutely love it. Needed a larger tractor, but stuck to the budget. I will get a larger rig some day, but will keep the 3800 just because it works so good. It will also move mid size (4x5) round bales just fine.

jsummer2

Jul 6, 2017
WV
The used l3800 was sold so that narrowed down my choices. Decided on the B2601, should be delivered next week. I really considered the B2650 but couldn't justify the price gap. A different salesman echoed most of the comments here regarding the Bs not going to be a good fit for round bales. And considering the primary jobs I have planned for it, I think it will be a good fit (and I'll figure something else out regarding the hay, probably go with the slightly more expensive square bale option). Thanks for all the input.