Bx trailer question

Ancbill

Equipment
Bx2360, 54" mmm, BX2750D snowblower, RB0560 rear blade, psycho border collie
Dec 17, 2011
Anchorage, ak
I'm looking to buy a trailer to move my bx2360 with a loader and box blade. I will be moving it about 2 hours between my home and cabin, twice a year. Is a single 3500lb axle trailer enough? It is 14 ft long. Figured I could put the box blade in my truck bed. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wrencher2423

Apr 27, 2014
Leechburg,Pa,U.S.A
I have a dual axle 16ft land scape trailer that I use and have about 4" to spare with hoe on the back. My estimates are my bx weights about 3000 lb so I think you would be pushing the limits of the trailer.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Your BX2360 weight = 1,322 lbs
Loader weight = 375 lb range
Box blade weight = 300 range
Total = 2000 approximate

Your BX2360 Length:95.5 inches
Loader will stick out approx 44 inches
Total = 11.5 feet approximate (should measure it to be sure)

3500 lb trailer will handle the weight.
I do not know your towing experience or the laws where you live.
I would be looking for a dual axle trailer with breaks and 16' to accommodate future needs. Just my 2.5 cents. (inflation you know);)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I got a 16ft tandom axle to haul my little tactor 4ft wide, 6ft long. Add a bush hog and or blade, and it eats up the room.

The main concern i would have about hauling your bx on a smaller trailer would be weight distribution. Too much weight on the front of the trailer and the front wheels are light and your going to experience major handling issues with the tow vehicle. To much weight on the back of the trailer and it will sway and toss you all over the road. I've had an oil field guy hauling something in front of me, hit a bump going down hill and it lifted the back of his truck. He ended up off in the pucker brush at 50 miles an hour. The longer trailer will give you more options, and better opportunity for balancing out your load and provide a safer more comfortable hauling experience. My only complaint about having the 16 footers is now every one i know needs help hauling something :D

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My 16 foot tandem trailer is great for moving my tractor, mind you its a smaller machine. Trailers can never be too big, but quite often are too small.

2.5 us, thats about 4.00 canadian....

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
The BX is pretty small and in time you are likely to need to haul more stuff, possibly a larger tractor with a belly mower. A box blade doesn't do much with a BX. Inside dimensions side to side should be at least 5 feet. If need be, providing balance is OK, loader can hang off the back some. NEVER haul with load center rear of the axles. Dangerous sway will develop. Put at least some load on the hitch. I'm not so sure the 10% rule is really necessary and I usually do some trials between ride quality and balance. A bad balance situation can develop some real irritating bouncing of the hauling vehicle.

If you wish to build your own, there are good capacity single axles available. Don't go light on axle capacity. Remember the loading and un loading steps can be a headache with the wrong set-up. I prefer a deck that can be lowered at the rear, rather than ramps. That is especially needed for a belly mower cutting ground clearance.

Where will you store it? Sitting outside the deck wood may rot out, if it is not treated. Tires in the sun will deteriorate.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I would not trust a single axle trailer to haul anything above an ATV. Imagine if you will a sudden loss of a tire. Now you have nearly 1 1/2 tons going wherever it wants to go and you are just along for the ride. To me that just doesn't sound like fun to me at all. Pushing a trailer to the limits isn't a good thing.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
I'll chime in with my story. I have a 5 x 10 utility trailer with a 3000 lb axle. I also have a car hauler that has two axles, dual brakes etc. I could not use my car hauler so I tried my single axle trailer to tow 5 miles. I was in serious pucker mode.

I towed a B2650 with the forks on the front, and since I didn't like the weight distribution, I took the box blade off and strapped it to the forks. Yes my trailer did it, but I was concerned about my 1 day old 6 ply tires blowing out and leaving me stranded.

My tow rig is a full size truck and the truck had no problems. But the trailer bounce and sway had me very nervous. I will not ever use my single axle trailer to move my tractor again. Yes it can be done, but it is not recommended. I was afraid to go over 40 mph.

With my car hauler, I've been to the dealership a couple times and not had a fear except for checking I had the brake gain adjusted OK (don't have a fancy brake controller).

My recommendation - single axle in a pinch may be able to do it but you're so much better off with a dual axle setup.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm looking to buy a trailer to move my bx2360 with a loader and box blade. I will be moving it about 2 hours between my home and cabin, twice a year. Is a single 3500lb axle trailer enough? It is 14 ft long. Figured I could put the box blade in my truck bed. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My dealer DELIVERED my bx on 12' single axle.... i was really wondering WTF was going on.........

Mine sits VERY nicely on my 14' double axle with brakes.....bucket is completely inside the frame of the trailer and my hoe is pivoted to the right as for is goes......I have about 8" to the tailgate when it is up....

if I had a perfect world I would have a 16' with brakes........

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Another thing to check are the tires. Just because the axle is rated for 3500lbs, doesn't mean the tires will handle the weight.

Ancbill

Equipment
Dec 17, 2011
Anchorage, ak
Thanks all. I found a used 16' with double axels. Will call on it tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks all. I found a used 16' with double axels. Will call on it tonight.

let us know what you get - include some pictures too!!!

Ancbill

Equipment
Dec 17, 2011
Anchorage, ak
Well the Craigslist trailer didn't make the cut. Wasn't the most robust frame and no brakes. Went and looked at new and decided to go that route. There just isn't that much used selection in Alaska that is worth it.

If the dealer has one more in stock I 'll get it this week. It is 16 ft, double axle, with brakes all around.

Ancbill

Equipment
Dec 17, 2011
Anchorage, ak
Pick up my brand new trailer Saturday. 7000lb gvw, double axle with brakes all around. 8.5 x 16 foot flat deck. I will put it to work Labor Day when I take my tractor to my cabin 2 hours away over the mountains.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
Pick up my brand new trailer Saturday. 7000lb gvw, double axle with brakes all around. 8.5 x 16 foot flat deck. I will put it to work Labor Day when I take my tractor to my cabin 2 hours away over the mountains.
If you will be making the trip regularly you chose wisely. Now look into some binder chain setups and you'll have worry free traveling. Choose a decent brake controller also.