BX as a Bead Breaker (for tires)

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I've done this in the past, using just the skid steer coupler (no forks or bucket) and it's always worked.
Today I tackled some tough old (15" Mini Cooper) winter tires in ally rims and used my forks.

FAIL ! :mad:

I could not break the bead on either side of the tire (there's a chance I got it to break in about a 2" area but it was tough to see):rolleyes:

I don't know if it was because they used black rim seal (I am not 100% positive they did but the garage that put them on 6 or 7 yrs ago almost always does) or the fact the rubber interacts with aluminum alloy or if I should've just used the coupler (no forks) but danged if the tire wasn't stuck on there like snot to a screen door.:sick:

I did pop it onto my Harbour Fright/Princess Blotto manual changer, but as I was in no mood by then...10*C, winds at 40-50 and starting to drizzle I gave up quickly.

Any ideas?
bead breaker.jpg
:sick:

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
10C, jeebus.
Been cool here too but not 10 in the day.

I guess I can't see right but the bead looks broken to me.
Maybe use both forks - one on either side.
And wait for 15C.

Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
10C, jeebus.
Been cool here too but not 10 in the day.

I guess I can't see right but the bead looks broken to me.
Maybe use both forks - one on either side.
And wait for 15C.
It is very hard to see but it's all tire you're looking at - not the inside of a rim.

I've circled in red where I think it may have let go ever so slightly but in working the tire in 3 - 4 places (both sides) that's the only time I saw that.

If I was rich, I'd buy a tire changer.

Yeah, will definitely wait for warmer weather. It's been so dang cool and wet here lately, this was actually the best I've seen in about a week ;-)
1687037929680.png

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
possible option....
remove the forks off the frame, then try again being real close to loader ?
May work Jay, however I had the front wheels right off the ground - and was jiggling the loader control stick.

Next time !

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Leave your fork just as you show and put a wood splitting wedge against the wheel and wack it with a hammer until the tire gives up!

Reactions: 1 user

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I've had a Harbor Freight manual tire changer for years & years. It's well under $100 even with some attachments for other wheels....like motorcycle, spoons, etc. Mine is bolted to the shop floor and I couldn't count or remember all the different tires I've changed, repaired, patched tubes or installed tubes, etc. for all kinds of equipment.....large and small. Both for myself and my close neighbors.

Withing the last couple of weeks it's been used to replace a neighbor's atv tire, put a tube in his Gator tire, and put a new tire on a 14" car tire rim as a spare for my utility trailer. For a cheap little manual tire changer and some tire spoons....it really works well. So far, there hasn't been a tire bead that it hasn't been able to break free. The glued on tubeless ATV tires can be stubborn. Warming the tires up in the sun can really make things go easier.

It's getting harder to get a shop to work on some of the older tires/rims and even if they will......they say they'll try to get to it in a couple of days! With a little tire slick and some elbow grease you can do it yourself in very little time. And save money to boot.

David

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I just use my FEL bucket pointing down for better leverage and keep spinning it till it breaks, not to close to damage the wheel.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have found it helps to squirt a little dishsoap/water or other lubricant into the small gaps as one works one's way around the rim with a stubborn tire. Every little bit helps!

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
You need a bigger tractor! Actually try some hot water on the bead or put some pressure on the tire or warm the rim with a torch. Heat helps.

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Thanks for all the comments. I'll attempt this again on a warm day.
For info, they are normal "General" studded winter15" tires....not low profile at all. I am not running outside in the rain to check but from memory, something like 195-65(maybe 70) R-15 or whatever.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I have in the past just laid the tire/wheel assembly on the ground and drove over just the tire with another vehicle. It is easier with two people, but possible with one. Just need to be real close to the rim bead seal area. Also on my old VW I drove it on grass with no air in the tire and the beads popped pretty quickly while driving in a circle.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I've had a Harbor Freight manual tire changer for years & years. It's well under $100 even with some attachments for other wheels....like motorcycle, spoons, etc. Mine is bolted to the shop floor and I couldn't count or remember all the different tires I've changed, repaired, patched tubes or installed tubes, etc. for all kinds of equipment.....large and small. Both for myself and my close neighbors.

Withing the last couple of weeks it's been used to replace a neighbor's atv tire, put a tube in his Gator tire, and put a new tire on a 14" car tire rim as a spare for my utility trailer. For a cheap little manual tire changer and some tire spoons....it really works well. So far, there hasn't been a tire bead that it hasn't been able to break free. The glued on tubeless ATV tires can be stubborn. Warming the tires up in the sun can really make things go easier.

It's getting harder to get a shop to work on some of the older tires/rims and even if they will......they say they'll try to get to it in a couple of days! With a little tire slick and some elbow grease you can do it yourself in very little time. And save money to boot.

David
Use this same one (HF Manual) and saved me a lot of hassle over the years. FWIW The hardest job was the new front R14 from my L that I put three nails through (self-inflicted pain)

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I managed to pop 3 of these winter tires off the bead in just a few minutes today, by hand (manual tire changer from Princess Auto)

The difference?

The other day it was 10*C (50*f?)_ and today it was 30*C(what is that?--pushing 90*F) and 33*C with the humidex.

Made all the difference with the pliability of the rubber tire.

Reactions: 1 user