BX 23D No Start at times

TV Kubota BX 23

Equipment
2005 Kubota BX 23 with loader & Backhoe
Nov 21, 2023
Maryland
I have a 2005 Kubota BX 23D that will not crank some times, it’s an intermittent issue. I have replaced all three safety switch’s, new battery and new starter. Is there something else I should check, maybe a relay? I am stumped right now. Used it all day today no issues mowing, turned it off to do some weed eating and when I went to start it it would not turn over, I hear the clicking of the safety switch if I move the forward reverse pedal or the pto lever. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Check the wiring at the starter solenoid, especially the small one that has a spade type connection. They are known to be loose

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Check all the cables from the battery to the engine for corrosion under the bolt. It could be a poor connection, that only shows up when it is damp outside.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Maybe it's time to replace the ignition switch ?
need to see the wiring diagram but if it's...

battery-->ign switch-->safety switch1-->safety switch2-->safety switch3-->starter

and you've replaced 5 out of six possibles....there's only one thing left to replace.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You mowed with it, and it would not start,, my first place to look on a BX it the PTO lever. It is very easy to bump getting on and off and sometimes a little bump is just enough to move it acting as if you are trying to start with an attachment in gear

Reactions: 1 users

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
You mowed with it, and it would not start,, my first place to look on a BX it the PTO lever. It is very easy to bump getting on and off and sometimes a little bump is just enough to move it acting as if you are trying to start with an attachment in gear
My BX PTO LEVER is always the culprit when I have the completely dead acting machine if I wiggle the lever towards the rearward off position it always starts. :)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
wonder if he found the problem?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My BX PTO LEVER is always the culprit when I have the completely dead acting machine if I wiggle the lever towards the rearward off position it always starts. :)

Was my culprit this afternoon......first thing I check..... ;)

TV Kubota BX 23

Equipment
2005 Kubota BX 23 with loader & Backhoe
Nov 21, 2023
Maryland
Was my culprit this afternoon......first thing I check..... ;)
I have a 2005 Kubota BX 23D that will not crank some times, it’s an intermittent issue. I have replaced all three safety switch’s, new battery and new starter. Is there something else I should check, maybe a relay? I am stumped right now. Used it all day today no issues mowing, turned it off to do some weed eating and when I went to start it it would not turn over, I hear the clicking of the safety switch if I move the forward reverse pedal or the pto lever. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone, I believe I have found the culprit, the neutral safety switch was not fully depressing therefore not allowing the engine to crank. I removed the switch and bracket and clean up everything ,cleaned both screws and moved the switch all the way forward in the slot, reassembled with some lock tight. Hopefully no more issues with no starts, I did also replace both battery cables and the key switch. I received the tractor from my father in law when he passed away and so I went through the machine and did some maintenance items. Have one small leak I am chasing near the side of the hydro unit. Will further investigate this coming weekend. Thanks again.