BX 2370 Snow Chains

dwcarpen5

Equipment
BX 2370
Sep 10, 2015
West Lafayette, IN
I'm putting a snow plow on my 2 yr old BX 2370. It has turf tires. I stopped by the local Kubota place to talk about what kind of snow chains would work and the guy was insistent that snow chains would tear up my machine and that they were not needed. His attitude was "I'll sell some to you if you want them but you're dumb to put them on". Has anyone used chains on a 2370 with turf tires? if so, what kind and what has your experience been? Thanks.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
IF you have a MMM on that machine, I migggght agree with him......
but cannot imagine that being on it while pushing snow!

Now - i would get a set of chains that would not be overly aggressive, simple bar chains would be fine. Make sure the method of securing the chains is a good one, chains will stretch over time and get loose.

I would NOT chain the front end.......that will place too much strain on the front drive train.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I have a 55 inch front mount snowblower on a BX2370 with loaded turf tires and no chains. I blow snow going up a 9 degree (16% slope hill) with no problem. Turf tires are the best tires for snow because they have more edges in contact with the snow then other types of tires. I would suggest you try plowing snow without the chains especially in Indiana where you don't have a lot of snow.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Agree as above, try it without chains. I dont have ballast in my R4's and worked just fine. May need rear wheel spacers if chains are needed and dont chain the fronts.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I don't have chains though I do have R4s on the bad girl, however you really want to check the clearance inside the fender well under the tractor to see if the chains will clear everything. Also if you go that route you may want to invest in a set of hub extenders that move your wheels out about 3 inches.

But to be honest in 4wd I doubt you will have any problems with the turf tires, unless you get silly of course,,lol

mudog88

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1982 B7100HST-DT, RC60-71H MMM, 5ft. back blade
Aug 11, 2015
Pine Village, Indiana
dwcarpen, I agree with most of the above. Chains shouldn't be necessary with the 4WD. That being said, I think I would still have them in the shed, just in case we get an insane blizzard and tons of snow. I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to winter time operation. With the last few winters we've had, being out in the cold wind can really sap the life out of ya. I'm in Brookston, just a few miles North of you where all the wind turbines are at. We have a driving 20 MPH wind most of the winter, so the chill here really bites through the layers. It's true, we don't typically get a high quantity of snow, but with the winds, we get some nasty drifts. Drifts have a bad habit of being very heavy and compacted, needing some extra grip to bite into to move. That's the only reason I might have some in the shed. I have R1 Ags on my old style B7100, so I'm really hoping I do alright this winter with just the 4WD and the diff lock as needed.

In short, I'd go ahead and get them, just in case you get into a tight spot. But just like slimshadie said, don't chain the fronts. Hope that helps!

Bobsfixit

Equipment
bx2350
Jun 13, 2015
Carmel NY
years ago a Friend lent Me a B8100 with turf tires it was like a Pregnant Whale in the Snow. I presently have a 2350 with turf tires, Am planning on buying R4 tires on rims and having them fill with Tire Guard, Next option Chains!!!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I put chains on my BX2360 without spacers and no problems. Need to snug them up good, it is a little tight in the wheel-well.

I've even used the MMM with them on, but wouldn't recommend it.

I don't think I could do the driveway (and some of the lawn) without them.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Bobsfixit, I don't think there has ever been a B8100 (at least here in the USA). Maybe a B7100, B8200.......?

I've got a B8200, 4x4, loader. It has turf tires on front, AG tires on back. Came from the dealer new with that setup. Has always gotten along fine w/o chains...but that's Kansas winters!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Lil tractor with a loader and 4wd never needs chains. I have driven almost up to the headlights in snow while breaking a trail. Just a blade, i could see chains being necessary. You cant really dig yourself out with a push blade.
Chain up all four and something is gonna break.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
What kind of driveway are you plowing?

Gravel/paved?
Steep/flat?
Short/long?
Wide/narrow?
Parking area/turn-arounds?

Your tractor will take simple 2-link chains, if put on right. I would not put on 4-link chains.

The part of the equation that is difficult to predict is ice. My driveway can get icey. Without chains, dead in the water.

I look at tire chains like a jackknife: better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it............. ;)

Last edited:

lamanated

Equipment
BX
May 2, 2013
Zephyrhills Fl
If your vehicle spins and makes Ice, then your tractor will also,, In Canada, I tried turf to plow with, and they came off in 5 min after trying to push. First yr with Ag's was alright,, but the first time your stuck, you'll be pissed....and stuck,,, I got a set on ebay for $50 delivered to Fl from Penn.. then of course ,found 2 sets at the local scrap yard that keeps reusable stuff out on racks.. so I made a set for the front out of lawn tires.to try in the really bad weather that I hope never comes, as I'm on a dirt road. I tried the studding them as well,, works, but soon as you pack snow, you risk making ice, and then your buggered stuck and screwed..

Harvey9

Equipment
BX 1850 with loader, mower and back blade.
Jun 12, 2013
Hantsport, Nova Scotia
I have a BX1850 with Turf tires. My gravel driveway is somewhat steep and I did ok without chains. I then fitted it with ATV chains ( diamond pattern), and they made a huge difference. Good luck.

sawyer141

Oct 26, 2015
Monterey, MA
I considered chains for my BX2370, but did not want to mess with the fit and the rough ride. I decided to get some tire studs and they worked great in my R4s. I have a pretty steep driveway and we get plenty of snow in The Berkshires. I look forward to every storm so I can clean it up with the quick hitch plow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hikerduane

Equipment
B6100, FEL
Nov 17, 2014
Meadow Valley, CA
I have an old B6100, I guess what y'all are calling ag tires on it, good tread. The rubber is pretty hard, I figure I need to chain up to get around on our private, dirt road which can get icy. All I'm doing is clearing the 16' of concrete approach to my garage and along side the garage for access to my place and off road parking and clear snow that has slid off the metal roof on the garage. I thought I would chain up the front for best traction, but the opinion is mixed on whether to do that. Don't really want to buy chains for both front and back. I've only had the tractor with FEL for a year, so have not been able to push snow yet as there has not been any good storms where I live in CA since I got the thing. A man toy, not like my motorcycle or a snowmobile where you can go for a ride. :) I've only been able to use the tractor less than 3 hours, moving some firewood rounds last summer and spreading compost in Sept.
What is MMM? Mower?
Duane

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Maybe I'll post on "What did you do today" thread, but here is proof the BX will take chains without wheel spacers. Put them on Sunday.

Not pretty, but I pull the outside real tight so nothing binds/tangles in the wheel well.

Attachments

mtnbkr

Equipment
BX 2200
Nov 21, 2015
Mansfield Mass
One problem you will have plowing deep snow with the turfs is when the plow is set on an angle, the front will push the other way.

trucksnstuff

Dec 14, 2015
Central NY
I'd like to suggest another alternative. Get a tire grooving tool (Summit about $100) and cut some grooves into the tread blocks of front and rear tires. Don't go nuts here. I grooved my Chevy 2500 tires when they got worn down and it was like the tires were a year newer. I kept all grooves symmetrical with the tread blocks and did not go below the tire wear bars. I live in Upstate NY -WE GET SNOW!