BX 2350 Hydraulic system

Cheib

Apr 12, 2015
UK
Hi, I‘m a bit of a novice with using my BX for anything other than pretty basic tasks. i.e. mowing, front loader, trailer etc.

I am looking to buy a log splitter which would be hooked up to the hydraulic system. The specification for the log splitter require a “free flow spool”, can anyone tell me if the BX has this or how I can check ? Terminology may not be correct as I live in the UK.

For reference this is the log splitter I am thinking of buying

Many thanks,

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi, I‘m a bit of a novice with using my BX for anything other than pretty basic tasks. i.e. mowing, front loader, trailer etc.

I am looking to buy a log splitter which would be hooked up to the hydraulic system. The specification for the log splitter require a “free flow spool”, can anyone tell me if the BX has this or how I can check ? Terminology may not be correct as I live in the UK.

Many thanks,
Not to bust your bubble ......... but you may find after everything is hooked and working, your flow rate will be very slow, and maybe more importantly, you cannot use the tractor because it is tied to the splitter.

A stand alone is cheaper, and quicker and the flow rate is faster.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What exact BX are you using as the hydraulic flow will be different for different models.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Many thanks,
You will need to create a hydraulic connection for the splitter. The easy way is putting a quick coupler on the loader power beyond. That may be a little tricky on a BX - got a model number for your tractor?

Whoops - I see it in the title. I will get bsck with the details after lookingvst tjevpsrts book.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Many thanks,
After looking at the BX2350 parts manual there are a couple options. The most tempting is to put a quick connect coupler on the main pump delivery line and plug the log splitter in there. That puts it ahead of ALL tractor hydraulics and gives you full flow and pressure from the pump. The fly in the ointment is your splitter valve may not like the back pressure it gets when you drive the tractor around with the splitter connected. If you are willing to only connect the splitter after the tractor is positioned and stationary its a real simple, inexpensive, and effective hookup.

EDIT: After looking at the pump component drawing I see the priority flow divider is built into the pump so you will not get that portion of the flow.

I will leave it up to others to tell you why a 3pt log splitter is a really bad idea :devilish:

Dan

1682027073620.png

Last edited:

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I will leave it up to others to tell you why a 3pt log splitter is a really bad idea :devilish:

Some love them. Can't figure out why, myself. Not on a small unit like the BX, anyway.

I prefer my 35 ton standalone. There's no way a BX can split the stuff that thing will split.

But then, if you are only splitting smaller stuff, and easy wood (like softwoods), then maybe it's okay.

Cheib

Apr 12, 2015
UK
Thanks for all the replies

I need to take on board the feedback about the stand alone vs the tractor mounted/powered. Will have a think. It doesn’t bother me only connecting up the splitter when it is being used so hopefully that isn’t a problem.

My tractor already has quick connectors, I believe they are connected at “10” as per the schematic above. Can anyone advise on the “free flow spool“ ?

Many thanks

696805F0-6F7B-4B06-A713-3AB62D0EE9E1.jpeg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for all the replies

I need to take on board the feedback about the stand alone vs the tractor mounted/powered. Will have a think. It doesn’t bother me only connecting up the splitter when it is being used so hopefully that isn’t a problem.

My tractor already has quick connectors, I believe they are connected at “10” as per the schematic above. Can anyone advise on the “free flow spool“ ?

Many thanks

View attachment 100744
Those are control valves. Free flow spools means a constant flow connection like used for a backhoe. You could lock one of the valves open and use the outlets but its a poor way to connect your splitter.

You can use the feed into the remote valve body as your connection point. Just put a quick connector on the supply side (#10 in the diagram) of that valve. Probably bring a short hose out to the back next to your existing outlets and mount the female half there. Then plug the supply hose into it just like a backhoe outlet. That makes it neat and the splitter hookup is quick and easy. Total cost under $100 USD.

If you go with that 3pt splitter you will get a big improvement in cycle time by replacing the OEM control valve with a fast extend version. That also gets you auto retract with a self canceling detent and eliminates the silly safety lockout.

Dan

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious, I downloaded the manual and did some rough math....
3.5GPM flow needed,bore is 60mm ( +-2.3"), 10Ton splitter, BX probably 1500PSI(like my BX23S ?)
You might get 3ton of force NOT the 10 ton. to get that you need 4700 PSI( their number )
I have one of those 'offshore' electric 4T splitters, makes kindling from 8"- logs, even that can be a 'challenge'.
I didn't see a price for the unit but here in Canada, I can buy a towable, 20T,7HP gas splitter for about $1500 and NO $$ modifications needed to my BX23S. Also a standalone unit means you can use tractor for other purposes, while someone else is splitter wood !
options, think about actual use and real costs...
one neighbour rents a splitter($200) and 3 of them spend the day rotating jobs and make a HUGE pile of splits,more than they need for the Winter here.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
curious, I downloaded the manual and did some rough math....
3.5GPM flow needed,bore is 60mm ( +-2.3"), 10Ton splitter, BX probably 1500PSI(like my BX23S ?)
You might get 3ton of force NOT the 10 ton. to get that you need 4700 PSI( their number )
I have one of those 'offshore' electric 4T splitters, makes kindling from 8"- logs, even that can be a 'challenge'.
I didn't see a price for the unit but here in Canada, I can buy a towable, 20T,7HP gas splitter for about $1500 and NO $$ modifications needed to my BX23S. Also a standalone unit means you can use tractor for other purposes, while someone else is splitter wood !
options, think about actual use and real costs...
one neighbour rents a splitter($200) and 3 of them spend the day rotating jobs and make a HUGE pile of splits,more than they need for the Winter here.
Log splitter vendors are nototious for overstating performance. i looked for cylinder size and could not find it. His tractor pressure is 1800 PSI and a 60mm cylinder will come up a biscuit short of 4T. That wont split much.

Dan

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
here it is, buried about 6-7 pages in....

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS TM400

Log Splitter TM400
Weight 64kg
Tractor Mounting Cat 1 / 2

Ram Spool Block MB2
Max Pressure 4780psi
330 bar Max Cont. Pressure 250 bar
3600psi
Ram Bore Diameter 60mm Max Peak Pressure 320 bar
4600psi
Ram Stroke 400mm Max Back Pressure on Port T 30 bar
430psi
Ram Rod Diameter 40mm Port Marked P Pressure Line
Noise levels will vary depending on tractor used, hearing protection should be worn Port Marked T Exhaust Line
Relief Valve Setting 220 bar
3150psi

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
My post is for people reading this that don't need a huge splitter, but want one that works damn good for the money.

I have one of these little electric WEN 6.5 ton splitters and have been amazed at how well it works for so few dollars.

Out of the 3 full cord I have done so far, I have only found 6 or 7 rounds that were so knotted, the little machine could not split them.

I have done rounds that were big enough that I needed help picking them up.

Paul

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56208-6-5-Ton-Electric-Splitter/dp/B0B4KNQFTC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2SJQ8MZUJNJTY&keywords=wen+splitter&qid=1682089667&sprefix=wen+splitter,aps,83&sr=8-1&th=1

WEN.jpg

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My post is for people reading this that don't need a huge splitter, but want one that works damn good for the money.

I have one of these little electric WEN 6.5 ton splitters and have been amazed at how well it works for so few dollars.

Out of the 3 full cord I have done so far, I have only found 6 or 7 rounds that were so knotted, the little machine could not split them.

I have done rounds that were big enough that I needed help picking them up.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56208-6-...89667&sprefix=wen+splitter,aps,83&sr=8-1&th=1

View attachment 100770
My 3pt splitter has a regen circuit for fast extend. That reduces effective cylinder size to the 2" rod diameter. Thats 4.2T @ 2700 PSI which will split a lot more than you might guess. A lot of cycles I dont need to shift to the 4th spool position which provides the full 15T force.

Dan

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Log splitter vendors are nototious for overstating performance.

Yep. Most rate them at max pressure, but run them a lot less. For example, the max might be 3500 psi, but they run them at 2500 or 2250.

I have a Speeco (Tractor Supply badging) and it runs a true 3500. Measured, not just believed. ;-)

I bent the toe plate on that thing with an ancient oak crotch. Wound up 'splitting' it with a chainsaw, and got the beam replaced under warranty. Made it under the wire by a couple of months! :D

It's about 15 years old and splits 4-5 cords of hardwoods (mostly oak) every year, so I guess it's okay to run it at 3500.

What you need depends on what you are splitting, but 4 tons..... Small pine and other small softwoods.

At that rate, save some money and get one of the Harbor Freight tabletop electric models.