BX 23 Bendix (pinion gear) hitting the ring gear during starting

garoyal

Equipment
BX23
Nov 9, 2020
Ft. Erie Ontario
I'm a new poster and happy to be here. I've just acquired a BX 23 (600hours) with FEL, MMM and Backhoe. On occasion (too often) the bendix extends during starting and just hits the ring gear. After a couple of starting attempts, it meshes and all is good and away I go.
Looking at the bendix gear end, it appears in good shape and without any deformity or burrs. It also extends freely with just the return spring pressure as expected. I have seen other posts where the owners speak of a loud click and they seem to think it is in the starting circuit, but I know my issue is this non-mesh of the two gears.
I'd appreciate any suggestions, the next step is the local auto electric guy, but, I'd like to fix it myself...
Thanks,
greg

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
On most starters like you describe the bendix drive contains an over running mechanical clutch so when the engine fires the starter is not spun up by the engine.

These Bendix drives do fail and when they do the appearance from the outside is that the starter gear is not engaging with the flywheel.

forum BX23 starter.jpg

Dave

garoyal

Equipment
BX23
Nov 9, 2020
Ft. Erie Ontario
On most starters like you describe the bendix drive contains an over running mechanical clutch so when the engine fires the starter is not spun up by the engine.

These Bendix drives do fail and when they do the appearance from the outside is that the starter gear is not engaging with the flywheel.

View attachment 50477

Dave
Thanks Dave,
I wonder if I can find the over running clutch #060 and replace it? I'm going to get the model number off my starter and check it out.
Thanks for the reply.,
greg

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm a new poster and happy to be here. I've just acquired a BX 23 (600hours) with FEL, MMM and Backhoe. On occasion (too often) the bendix extends during starting and just hits the ring gear. After a couple of starting attempts, it meshes and all is good and away I go.
Looking at the bendix gear end, it appears in good shape and without any deformity or burrs. It also extends freely with just the return spring pressure as expected. I have seen other posts where the owners speak of a loud click and they seem to think it is in the starting circuit, but I know my issue is this non-mesh of the two gears.
I'd appreciate any suggestions, the next step is the local auto electric guy, but, I'd like to fix it myself...
Thanks,
greg
Curious, IS this a "new" style Bx23S or the older version BX23? and if the earlier model.

The bendix is different on these two: THE PRICE is defiantly different!!! Not sure they can swap.

BX23 (OLD) -
1605017825507.png

BX23S (New)
1605017644189.png

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Here’s the repair ”Kit” for the early starter for less than $60 inc shipping.

garoyal

Equipment
BX23
Nov 9, 2020
Ft. Erie Ontario
Good afternoon Gentlemen,
Thanks for your interest and great advice!
I'm in Ontario Canada and am going to search out the repair kit as suggested. If we weren't in the middle of this pandemic issue, I would just have it shipped to the postal dropbox I've got in Buffalo and it would be just that simple...
However, I see the fix rapidly approaching!
Regards,
greg

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
When this condition happens do you hear the 2 gears grinding (starter motor turning) or is it just a noise of the 2 gears hitting?
Sometimes (although usually on high hour engines) the ring gear teeth will get worn in a spot and the bendix gear will grind on the worn ring gear teeth. I you think this is happening, with starter out turn the engine with a screwdriver on the ring gear and watch the teeth as you turn the engine one complete revolution.

garoyal

Equipment
BX23
Nov 9, 2020
Ft. Erie Ontario
Hey,
I called the local dealer BEN BERG and they are shipping it in from Toronto and I'll have it Thursday,
$85. canadian...
I'll report back, if it's not that, I'll do the slave relay fix
All good!
greg

garoyal

Equipment
BX23
Nov 9, 2020
Ft. Erie Ontario
When this condition happens do you hear the 2 gears grinding (starter motor turning) or is it just a noise of the 2 gears hitting?
Sometimes (although usually on high hour engines) the ring gear teeth will get worn in a spot and the bendix gear will grind on the worn ring gear teeth. I you think this is happening, with starter out turn the engine with a screwdriver on the ring gear and watch the teeth as you turn the engine one complete revolution.
No, the Bendix hits the ring gear and is not far enough extended to close the contacts to spin the starter motor. But, I can easily envision what you are suggesting...
Thanks for the input and I'm trying the repair kit as suggested first.
greg