Buying tools

RyanS

Equipment
Kubota B2601, Massey 65, Sunstar 18.
Apr 10, 2016
Liberty Center, In
I am thinking of purchasing a Mig, tig and plasma cutter all at once. I have several projects I need the tools to do properly. I am a reasonably talented welder/fabricator do you think a person could earn enough with those tools to pay for them? I was thinking If I built a land leveler/plane I could build 5 at the same time and sell 4. The same with a 55 gallon sprayer ect ect. My wife will have a fit at me spending another 4 grand on top of buying a tractor and all its toys. If I can use these tools to pay for themselves quickly it would not be so bad and a much easier sell to my wife (the money boss).

Thoughts?

Thanks

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
Anything is possible... but if you have a "Day Job"... that's a lot of work to try to pay for your tools.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
If you have the time to spend working on this - I would say go for it, however- most of the stuff you are talking about would not need the TIG - unless you are doing some thin metal(s). A mig/PC would be the best two of three in my opinion. Get a couple of pieces built and sold with more on the way, then invest as time/ideas allow.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Depends on your goals. If you want a tig/mig/plasma cutter and are trying to justify it with your wife...you're deceiving her by telling her how you are going to fabricate items and earn back the funds you spent.

Buy a Mig and a chop saw and make one for yourself. Then you know how much time and material and space you have invested. Then you can determine honestly how to proceed.

You don't need a Tig or Plasma cutter to build the implements you mentioned.

RyanS

Equipment
Kubota B2601, Massey 65, Sunstar 18.
Apr 10, 2016
Liberty Center, In
Depends on your goals. If you want a tig/mig/plasma cutter and are trying to justify it with your wife...you're deceiving her by telling her how you are going to fabricate items and earn back the funds you spent.

Buy a Mig and a chop saw and make one for yourself. Then you know how much time and material and space you have invested. Then you can determine honestly how to proceed.

You don't need a Tig or Plasma cutter to build the implements you mentioned.
Solid advice, I should just get a good used welder and try to earn the money I wish to spend.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Mig and plasma cutter for sure.
Chop saw is a wonderful thing,provided you buy a quality one, and use high end cutoff wheels. I have a chopsaw, hasnt been used in 7 or 8 years.
I use a bandsaw for most of my cutting.
My wish list has a new chopsaw,uses a carbide blade. Cuts fast and part remains cool to the touch.

I use my old arc welder often especially when outdoors or shop door is open.

Plasma is great for intricate cuts and gouging out old welds.
Decent size compressor is needed.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Spend the money upfront, Lincoln, Miller, ESAB, Hobart, Hypertherm, Smith, Victor....

Avoid the Chi-Com "All in one" junk. I currently own 4 welders and 2 Plasma cutters. 1 Oxy/Ace cutting rig and 4 pipeliner masks. 2 portable bandsaws, 12-14 angle grinders. I used to weld pipe for a living making boilers.

A solid MIG machine that runs on 240v, and runs gas or fluxcore is a awesome tool to have at the house. My new Lincoln 210MP gets more use than my SA200 simply because it MIGs and burns 7018 so well.

A tombstone ACDC buzzbox is great for stick at the house as well, pretty cheap.

Lift/scratch TIG is a budget friendly option if you're not going to use it much.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You are going to have to buy steel to build those projects (or have already bought it), so it could take time to make enough profit to pay for the equipment. Either you want them, or you can't afford them- they are hard to justify by making money with them (for the average home fabricator).
I have a Rage chop saw, and use it all of the time- it is a very handy tool. I also use a band saw quite a bit. I only occasionally use my plasma cutter. That money could have probably been used better elsewhere, but I am glad that I have it.