Bumpy ride tonite

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Got thunderboomers and toroquakes headed our way tonite, actually cranking up right now. Possibility of tennis ball size hail according to our local weather guru. He doesn't miss often. Covered the missus' Traverse with moving blankets and tarps and stuck the nose of the F-150 under the deck. Well, all but the back two feet of it, anyway. Did I mention it's a super-crew with 6.5ft bed? Like navigating a tug boat in a bath tub. Still, it made more sense to move the F-150 back there because I'd need three acres of blankets to cover it, and it's 4x4 which lets me cross the yard without destroying it. The Traverse would wind up to it's ears in mud. Not something I'd like to explain to the missus. Same thing happened the first year we had the Traverse. We've had it two years now, and so far, I've had warnings of blaspheming from the great Ford gods both years. This seems to be becoming an annual event for us. I told her not to make me buy an Obama Motors Bow-Tie car. Now I'll spend eternity in car buying purgatory. I'll probably get struck by lightning before it's all over.

Reactions: 1 user

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Hope all you folks down there stay safe. I know we kid when you get snow and don't know what to do with it but tornados and giant hail is nothing to mess with.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
First wave is pretty much gone other than widespread rain. Between 1730 and 1830, we had about 10 Warnings come and go. Not a single warning or watch at the moment from NWS. Really bizarre weather. A few EF0's, couple homes lost, but nothing like what was expected or predicted. Might be a long sleepless night tonight, though Second wave is a bit more organized. With any luck, though, the gap I see will come over top of us much like the bad stuff has split north and south of us all day today. We've barely had a stiff breeze. Lots of rain, but no wind. YET. Now is when it gets dangerous with the ground this wet and possible straight-line winds on the way. Gonna be a lotta messed up timber tonite.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
How'd you fair @Old_Paint ?

Got woke up at 1:20 with a big ol thunder boomer that lasted a few seconds. Thought it was a transformer going, but it had a strange echo with it. Leaving this morning, I don't believe we lost any trees, short of a few twigs and pinecones.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Not much more than a stiff breeze here, with a somewhat disappointing light show and very little thunder. Nary a twig in the yard. VERY wet, though. I think the storm line split and went north and south of us, but we did get another good soaking (after rain for the previous 24 hours). I think we've had nearly 4 inches of rain in the past three days. It'll be a week before the yard's firm enough to move the tractor again. Got a good friend that lives down near Clanton, and he sent me some rather frightening video of cloud rotation from the first wave yesterday. Not nice to see a super cell build like that. As much as I don't like tornadoes, though, they're much less frightening than earthquakes. You've at least got a little warning that it's about to happen, and usually know for days in advance to expect it and prepare for it at much as possible. You know an earthquake's gonna happen right after it already has. I rode that ride in Barstow, CA a couple times, what they called a little temblor. You can HAVE that stuff.

The youngest granddaughter missed the bus this morning, so I had to take all the 'gift wrapping' (moving blankets and tarps) off the Traverse to take her to school. My F-150 was still playing blivit (10 lbs of stuff in a 5 pound bag) hiding under the back deck (12 x 16) from hail that didn't even think about happening. Ya simply don't realize how wide an F-150 is until ya park it in a 10 foot wide space and there's barely room to get out of the truck. I don't even have the big mirrors, nor am I a very big person at 180 lbs. Ya also find out just how long a SuperCrew with a 6.5' bed is when you have the nose sticking out a little on one end, and nearly 6 feet of it's still sticking out in back, under a 16 foot long deck. Wiggling in there was fun in the dark, but getting back out wasn't quite as bad as expected. Just stayed in 4x4 Low Range to creep across the very soggy yard and not tear it up. A few minor ruts that I can fix easily (when it isn't mud any more). That's a big vehicle with not many places to hide. I think it might be smarter (and quicker) to get more moving blankets and tarps to cover it with when there's a hail threat. Ain't no way that heifer's going in my basement garage (even if it was empty). Won't fit through the doors.

SO, rather uneventful night after all the hype about the threat. I keep insisting that meteorologists take Lying 101 as one of their first freshman courses in college. That's a required course for politicians and lawyers, but may be an elective for meteorologists. A few low hanging fast moving clouds this morning with the sun peeping through, but the temp's as warm as it's gonna get today. Supposed to be windy and drop back down in the low 50's today, but start climbing right back up tomorrow to the 70's by Sunday. Lather, rinse, repeat. More rain on the way next Wednesday with possible storms on Thursday. Gotta love spring in Alabama. I've got a big batch of beer in secondary ferment and another recipe to brew and get ready for fermenting. So, at least I have something to do while everything's soggy.

Thanks to all for the well wishes and concern.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I keep insisting that meteorologists take Lying 101 as one of their first freshman courses in college.
Lying would imply that they know what the hell is going on in the first place. I think "acting" would be more apt.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Lying would imply that they know what the hell is going on in the first place. I think "acting" would be more apt.
Yeah, you may be on to something. Not much difference in "acting" and "lying", though. There's certainly some sensationalism involved.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
In defense of the meteorologists, lying would be if they said there would be baseball sized hail at your address, but what they say is there is an 80% chance of hail in this county. They do pretty well with that it seems to me. Now some of the tv guys go into overdrive, and their viewing audience around here is about 7 counties, so it is wrong for a specific region a lot. Easier just to look at the radar, although thanks to some peculiar software glitch the old NOAA system had to come down, and new one is slow to load.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Stay safe down there. Only thing we got is some guy in robes building a big boat in the yard

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
In defense of the meteorologists, lying would be if they said there would be baseball sized hail at your address, but what they say is there is an 80% chance of hail in this county. They do pretty well with that it seems to me. Now some of the tv guys go into overdrive, and their viewing audience around here is about 7 counties, so it is wrong for a specific region a lot. Easier just to look at the radar, although thanks to some peculiar software glitch the old NOAA system had to come down, and new one is slow to load.
Glitch? That was probably the last bug. You know what to call software with no bugs, right? OBSOLETE. I write software of varying types and purposes, so I'll take some liberty.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Glitch? That was probably the last bug. You know what to call software with no bugs, right? OBSOLETE. I write software of varying types and purposes, so I'll take some liberty.
I think they had to stop using Adobe Flash? I wrote to local weather guys in Grand Rapids to say new software wouldn’t even load radar on my new tablet and lobbied for return to old system. They said no chance, and new thing loaded like a snail for them too. Old version subdivided US into sections. New one is trying to merge data from whole country. Bit much.

although this page loaded fine just now.

Radar.weather.gov

can‘t say that I like new format, harder to interpret

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I'll take the snow and cold any day over tornadoes. I was dating a lady in NC about 10 yrs back. We had traveled to Bristol. Went to bass pro and was headed back south when she said 'see thoses clouds over there, that an't good." When we watch the nightly news a small twister had blown a canopy off a gas station in Bristol when we were getting out of dodge.
I love visiting NC and Tenn but couldn't live there in the heat.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Time flies but I think its been three yrs now. We flew from Portland Maine 48*f walked off the plane in Raleigh Durham 92*F. Talk about a slap in the face.
Hes a couple memerable pics,
stopped at a red light, the gas sign says "Fried Gizzards/Livers". Yes I'm in the south now !
And driving through Gatlinburg here comes a boat ! 20190521_170504 NC trip.jpg 20190518_164204 gatlinburg.jpg

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Landing in Saigon after leaving here at 30 degrees and 20 mph north winds, the pilot said Wind light and variable air temperature is 93 degrees, humidity 98% and ground fire is light to moderate,, Naww I' will stick with the snow