Bucket float position

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Is the float position on the loader joystick supposed to be on a detent that stays engaged tll manually released?
The float on mine does not "lock" in position and I must hold it to keep it engaged.
This is a big pain particularly since I am now plowing snow and it requires 3 hands to steer, operate the angles and float the blade.

russbuckey

Equipment
L3400, FEL, Back hoe, landscape rake, back blade, 72" snowblower.
Nov 21, 2010
burlington Vt.
On my L3400 it will stay engaged unless I hit a bump. It "clicks" into a "locked" position when you push it all the way forward,But it is not a stiff feeling lock.

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
I had the same problem on my front blade. I looked under the control valve and there was an adjustment screw for the detent spring. I tightened it one turn and now my lever stays in float. I would guess your valves have the same adjustment either on the top or bottom.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Had the problem with a L3650. Ended up taking off the detent cylinder on the bottom of the spool (the long one) and cleaning it up. For some reason water gets in there easily and it gets gummed up.

Then I drilled a 1/8" hole in the soft bottom cap of the cylinder and sprayed a dose of WD40 up there every time the tractor was greased. Never had a problem after that.

If you decide to disassemble the spool be careful to note exactly how it was taken apart and watch out for escaping ball bearings. Take it apart over a cookie sheet with sides.

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Or, you may have excessive wear in your multi-position lever that doesn't allow the valve to get to the "locked" position. Might be the case on an old tractor where teh loader has been used a lot ----- Simple way to check: Do you have a lot of "play" in your lever??

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Or, you may have excessive wear in your multi-position lever that doesn't allow the valve to get to the "locked" position. Might be the case on an old tractor where teh loader has been used a lot ----- Simple way to check: Do you have a lot of "play" in your lever??
The machine is a 2004 with 2500 hrs and it was used by a builder in his business.
The control lever is not "loose" but I have nothing to compare it to.
I guess I will see if the spool is stuck anyway

mark r

Oct 23, 2010
Groton, NY
The detent on my joystick kicks out as well. I have a MX4700 with an LA844 loader. My tractor only has about 20 hrs on it, so I'm hoping it's just an adjustment. Thanks for the info on the detent adjustment screw. I'll check to see if my control valve has one.

jspicerreachnet

Nov 24, 2014
Belleville
B26 and loader crashes to the ground when detent first engaged, but as I drive it starts down pressure and lifts front end, all the while the detent is still engaged. Any adjustment for this ?