Broken step and Loader pin installation help please

poe34

Equipment
L3940 HST
Apr 1, 2021
Ohio
Hello, new member here and the tractor actually belongs to my 81 year old Dad. This tractor on his 30+ acres allows him to get out and take care of the property, and he also gets great enjoyment out of just being on it :) On a recent visit, I noticed two things. One of the pins in one of the arms on the loader backed out. Lining up all the parts with the hydraulic arm is nearly impossible. Can anyone offer any advice on how to extend the arm out slightly for everything to line up? I watched a video of people removing the hydraulic hoses and they wiggled the control to the hydraulics to lessen the pressure. Will that be enough for me to pull the arm out half an inch?

The other issue, the place where the step attaches, the weld has broken. Any advice on fixing this? Should it just be welded where it sits? Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Oh, tractor is a L3940 HST :)
Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 9.55.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 3.41.51 PM.png

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
Wiggling the stick back and forth to relieve pressure should allow a slight amount of movement. Not sure if it will be enough. But you may be able to have someone move the stick (with the tractor not running) in the direction you are trying to move the arm, this should in theory open that valve and allow the cylinder to move with some force.

As for the step. I would grind the old weld where it is broken free, take a floor jack and push it back into place and weld it. Also, disconnect the battery before you weld on the tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I would have a professional welder do the repair of the loader. I wouldn't want to gamble a failure because of a poor weld. A broken weld like that doesn't just happen out of the blue, and you need to understand exactly what forces cause it. Do it right the first time, your dad's life is at risk should it fail while he is operating the tractor. From the look of the tear, it might also need to be fish plated for additional strength, so it doesn't tear again.

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
I would have a professional welder do the repair of the loader. I wouldn't want to gamble a failure because of a poor weld. A broken weld like that doesn't just happen out of the blue, and you need to understand exactly what forces cause it. Do it right the first time, your dad's life is at risk should it fail while he is operating the tractor. From the look of the tear, it might also need to be fish plated for additional strength, so it doesn't tear again.
Unless I missed something. The broken weld is on the step, not the loader.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I had a pin-on hay fork. I was a chore to change over the bucket/ fork. I simply had someone run the rams in or out as needed while I held the end of the cylinder so the pin could be aliened. My hand was not near the moving ram and was a relatively easy part of the change over. The hard part was getting the first 2 pins on the bottom to line up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Roll the bucket till it's pointed down that will take the strain off the linkage, shut it off, then move the joy stick around to relive hydraulic pressure then knock the pin back in.
If it won't knock in, it might have a wear spot that is holding it or rust.

poe34

Equipment
L3940 HST
Apr 1, 2021
Ohio
Roll the bucket till it's pointed down that will take the strain off the linkage, shut it off, then move the joy stick around to relive hydraulic pressure then knock the pin back in.
if it won't knock in, it migh have a wear spot that is holding it or rust.
Thank you, I was hoping to just be able to relieve a slight amount of pressure, that should be all that is needed to get this back together. It was very close to being aligned but had no clue if there was even a way to release some pressure. Thanks!

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Hello, new member here and the tractor actually belongs to my 81 year old Dad. This tractor on his 30+ acres allows him to get out and take care of the property, and he also gets great enjoyment out of just being on it :) On a recent visit, I noticed two things. One of the pins in one of the arms on the loader backed out. Lining up all the parts with the hydraulic arm is nearly impossible. Can anyone offer any advice on how to extend the arm out slightly for everything to line up? I watched a video of people removing the hydraulic hoses and they wiggled the control to the hydraulics to lessen the pressure. Will that be enough for me to pull the arm out half an inch?

The other issue, the place where the step attaches, the weld has broken. Any advice on fixing this? Should it just be welded where it sits? Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Oh, tractor is a L3940 HST :) View attachment 57345 View attachment 57346
IMG_2616[1].JPG

I made a couple braces for the step on my LX2610. I didn't like the flex in the floorboard and even the fender was flexing with it. I welded these up using some 1" box beam and 1" x 1/8" bar stock. Bolted to the frame using existing holes, but did drill 3 holes in the step to fasten the outside ends.

poe34

Equipment
L3940 HST
Apr 1, 2021
Ohio
View attachment 57489
I made a couple braces for the step on my LX2610. I didn't like the flex in the floorboard and even the fender was flexing with it. I welded these up using some 1" box beam and 1" x 1/8" bar stock. Bolted to the frame using existing holes, but did drill 3 holes in the step to fasten the outside ends.
This is absolutely PERFECT and just what he needs! Thank you!

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
This is absolutely PERFECT and just what he needs! Thank you!
I have a few more photos, but no drawings. I just mocked it up, burnt up some .025 wire, ground my welds to make 'em look good, and buffed it up with a flapper wheel. I should have made drawings so anyone else with a LX2610SU could benefit. Glad I could help, if I indeed did help.