Bleeding fuel system

TexasGlenn

Equipment
M4700S
Sep 19, 2019
Texas
I have a 97 M4700S. The engine model is Model F2803-EA.
Does anybody have information on how to bleed the fuel system?

Reactions: 1 user

TexasGlenn

Equipment
M4700S
Sep 19, 2019
Texas
Wow. So basically make sure you have a good battery and get to cranking? Thanks for your help.
Do you think I should try to loosen a fuel line or injector nut?
I also saw a video of a guy spraying diesel in the air filter the same as you would do with starting fluid on a gas engine. Any thoughts?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Wow. So basically make sure you have a good battery and get to cranking? Thanks for your help.
Do you think I should try to loosen a fuel line or injector nut?
I also saw a video of a guy spraying diesel in the air filter the same as you would do with starting fluid on a gas engine. Any thoughts?
Never use starting fluid on a Kubota diesel

Dave

Reactions: 2 users

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I also saw a video of a guy spraying diesel in the air filter the same as you would do with starting fluid on a gas engine
That would be a HUGE NO NO!!!!!!!!!!
You can loosen a couple of the fuel injection lines at the fuel injector on the top of the cylinder head. Never attempt to loosen them at the injection pump.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
TexasGlenn…. (where I live also)… I also have a M4700 and NEVER USE STARTING FLUID OR ETHER unless you want to ruin that lovely 5-cyl engine!

You should obtain and read the Owner’s Manual. The M4700 has a return-line and all you have to do to “bleed” this system is start it up and let it idle for about a minute and ….DONE!

If you contact me privately I can help you with the manual….

WHERE in Texas are you? I”m 40 west of Austin.

TexasGlenn

Equipment
M4700S
Sep 19, 2019
Texas
TexasGlenn…. (where I live also)… I also have a M4700 and NEVER USE STARTING FLUID OR ETHER unless you want to ruin that lovely 5-cyl engine!

You should obtain and read the Owner’s Manual. The M4700 has a return-line and all you have to do to “bleed” this system is start it up and let it idle for about a minute and ….DONE!

If you contact me privately I can help you with the manual….

WHERE in Texas are you? I”m 40 west of Austin.
Little east of LaGrange, we’re probably 110-120 miles apart. I found the manual online but thought there must be some other way to do it. If I continue to have problems I will let you know. Thanks to all

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yep….I’m familiar with LaGrange…. Miss the old landing strip across from the Cottonwood Inn… and I like Peters BBQ in Ellinger.… and the all you can eat catfish on Friday. ;)

TexasGlenn

Equipment
M4700S
Sep 19, 2019
Texas
Believe it or not we live about 4 miles from there and haven’t been over there in 4!or 5 years. Have had a couple Hruska’s kolaches though. Don’t know when I will get to work on the tractor yet but I will keep you updated.

TexasGlenn

Equipment
M4700S
Sep 19, 2019
Texas
Believe it or not we live about 4 miles from there and haven’t been over there in 4!or 5 years. Have had a couple Hruska’s kolaches though. Don’t know when I will get to work on the tractor yet but I will keep you updated.
Update: Wanted to add that this was a result of a clogged fuel filter and possibly gunk in the tank and lines.
Not sure which part worked but I loosened the injector line on the rear cylinder. Tried a few times until the battery went down. Had some diesel coming out the injector line.
I loosened the line going into the injector pump to make sure it was getting fuel. Tightened everything up and took one of the rubber return lines off at the tank and blew through it. Tightened everything up and hooked up battery and jumper cables. After 3 or 4 times it started. Couple of times the first hour it died. Blew back through the return line and it would start. Running fine since.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Do you use a biocide fuel additive?

TexasGlenn

Equipment
M4700S
Sep 19, 2019
Texas
Not that I know of. I did use a product called “mechanic in a bottle” a few times. Also used some StaBil if I knew I would not be using the tractor for a while.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I suggest that you get ready to clean your fuel system completely. Is the fuel tank steel or plastic? Plastic tanks tend to grow algae inside the tank, steel tanks tend to rust inside and the rust breaks loose and plugs up lines and filters.

You may have simply had something (bug, leaf, piece of plastic) that would block the tank exit.

You can hope for the best but don’t get too far from home unless you have something to call with or enjoy the walk. I think you will have the same problem soon.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Not that I know of. I did use a product called “mechanic in a bottle” a few times. Also used some StaBil if I knew I would not be using the tractor for a while.
The atmosphere contains spores and mold and as you burn fuel the atmosphere enters the tank thru the vent (usually the fuel cap is vented) and if you don’t use a biocide and the tractor sits the spores and mold live in the bottom of the tank and eat the fuel for food. Then they “poop” wastes and it clogs and slimes the fuel system.
This is a different issue than winterizing for fuel-gelling or for lubrication issues.
Clean your fuel system, change the filters, and start using a biocide. (I use Biobor JF but there are others.)
Hope this helps.

TexasGlenn

Equipment
M4700S
Sep 19, 2019
Texas
I haven’t made it back out but I’m fairly sure it is a plastic tank. Thanks for all the information both or you. I actually had never heard of this problem. I will definitely get some and also look at draining everything. Luckily I don’t need to road the tractor anywhere so if I have problems it’s not too far of a walk.