BH stabilizer rubber street pads

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I do favours ,like snowblowing neighbours driveways. One owns a 'fab shop'.. anything in the 'bin' is free to me. Right now there's 4 sections of 7by7 steel tubing,3/8" wall, 6' long..keep wondering just WHAT I could use them for ? Rubber ? easy, another neighbour, owns a tire shop. cut up dead truck or loader tires the right way and you get 'pads'. Dug few trenches for another neighbour, I haven't bought eggs since I bought the BX23S 4 years ago.farm fresh, free range chicken eggs....
Barter, it's all about bartering... doing something you can do for someone else, having fun at it AND getting something in return...

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My results have been somewhat different. I flip them rubber side up when I'm on turf. Otherwise, I get pulled into the hole with the backhoe. Light tractor, strong backhoe.

The pads do work as advertised on hard surfaces. YMMV

View attachment 92818
I totally understand that a rubber foot pad does work well on hard surfaces.
I have somewhat soft dirt surfaces.
I had never ordered rubber pads, because I did not see them as a benefit for dirt surfaces.
"Smokeydog" indicates otherwise.
Time will tell for me.

Those pictured look like lighter duty pads than what I expect to receive from Flippads Intl.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I do favours ,like snowblowing neighbours driveways. One owns a 'fab shop'.. anything in the 'bin' is free to me. Right now there's 4 sections of 7by7 steel tubing,3/8" wall, 6' long..keep wondering just WHAT I could use them for ? Rubber ? easy, another neighbour, owns a tire shop. cut up dead truck or loader tires the right way and you get 'pads'. Dug few trenches for another neighbour, I haven't bought eggs since I bought the BX23S 4 years ago.farm fresh, free range chicken eggs....
Barter, it's all about bartering... doing something you can do for someone else, having fun at it AND getting something in return...
My Winter Florida neighbors have exactly zero appreciation for snowblowing "favours", and my Summer NE neighbors feel similarly.
I have no desire to purchase off premises equipment loss insurance ($50K+ replacement), and liability insurance as well.

There is no steel "fab shop" near me, offering "free" steel.
No free 7x7 steel tubing for me,...... and what would I do with it anyway?
No truck tire shop nearby.... cutting up truck tires (to make 4 decent pad assemblies) would take hours, and is quite problematic.

My daughter-in-law gives me all the eggs I want.
The point of your post is ???????

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
I did add 3x3” of steel tubing under the rubber pads and steel cleats to engage if the rubber pads sink. Added 60# of steel and rubber to each pad. Use the backhoe for farm use not construction. Ponds, creeks, woods and foothills property. Wide range of ground conditions from bedrock to swamp. Kubota needed stabilizer pads needed some improvement to compliment their powerful backhoes.

Attachments

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Sheesh ….. doesn’t anyone make anything anymore?
well I do... no way I'd pay $245 for those pads...
yeesh, steel is free, rubber is free, takes about 2 easy hours to make them.......
Exactly.. Scrap steel, scrap rubber, and a couple of hours of work with a band saw & drill press. Who cares if they’re powder coated ???

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I did add 3x3” of steel tubing under the rubber pads and steel cleats to engage if the rubber pads sink. Added 60# of steel and rubber to each pad. Use the backhoe for farm use not construction. Ponds, creeks, woods and foothills property. Wide range of ground conditions from bedrock to swamp. Kubota needed stabilizer pads needed some improvement to compliment their powerful backhoes.
My feet are flip over style, which yours do not look to be.
Pads are on one face of the foot, and formed steel grips on the flip side.
Since I currently do not have any pads, I use only the steel grip side.
I find that the steel grip edges just sink in, and tear up my poor quality sod, when the hoe pulls hard.
I really do doubt that pads will do any better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Pads will make the hoe slide on grass. I know because I have flip-over pads for use on pavement. Occasionally they flip over when you want the metal side down.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Pads will make the hoe slide on grass. I know because I have flip-over pads for use on pavement. Occasionally they flip over when you want the metal side down.
My "grass" is really unfit to be called grass.
Perhaps the pads will actually work, because the lightly grassed very sandy soil has no clay or humus material, and the pads will easily sink in.
With the raw steel side down, the feet often just slide along.
Of course, with pads down I will likely have deep impressions instead.

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
My feet are flip over style, which yours do not look to be.
Pads are on one face of the foot, and formed steel grips on the flip side.
Since I currently do not have any pads, I use only the steel grip side.
I find that the steel grip edges just sink in, and tear up sod, when the hoe pulls hard.
I really do doubt that pads will do any better.
My M59 feet were flip over probably like yours. Never too spiky Now a combo pad. Bigger and longer area, rubber pads, steel cleats and 6” extra height to better meet my needs. Not flipable any more.

Ford 4500 BH had spiker pads and higher lift helped plumb machine on side slopes. But not landscape friendly or as compact.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My M59 feet were flip over probably like yours. Never too spiky Now a combo pad. Bigger and longer area, rubber pads, steel cleats and 6” extra height to better meet my needs. Not flipable any more.

Ford 4500 BH had spiker pads and higher lift helped plumb machine on side slopes. But not landscape friendly or as compact.
My 3400 Ford BH had pads similar to those of your 4500 Ford BH.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
the point of my post..
... is that if you do a few favours, you can make some nice friends AND save money

heck if you want to spend $1000 on some steel and rubber, fine, YOU can keep the economy afloat, it's just not my 'thing'. I like to offer 'options' and while some of mine may not work for others, usually people like to have AN option, especially if THEY can save money or time.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am not awa
the point of my post..
... is that if you do a few favours, you can make some nice friends AND save money

heck if you want to spend $1000 on some steel and rubber, fine, YOU can keep the economy afloat, it's just not my 'thing'. I like to offer 'options' and while some of mine may not work for others, usually people like to have AN option, especially if THEY can save money or time.

Let's just call that for what it is!
A COMPLETELY WILD exaggeration!

I cannot conceive of anybody spending..... "$1,000 on some steel and rubber".
How did you ever arrive at that convoluted concept,...... 4 rubber street pads were $51.50 USD each + $12.88 tax and $26.68 shipping?
At $51.50 each, in today's marketplace, I actually think the product price was very fair!
Messick's price is $100.39 USD ($137.50 CAD)

Your suggestion would NOT save time, MIGHT save a little money, and would almost certainly produce a Rube Goldberg type product.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
saw this..
Those pads are also available from Messick's, for a mere $401.55 + shipping (probably $35-$40 ?)
Messicks is USA based.....so I assume $400 US $...

OK,so convert that$400 USD,add shipping, handling,duties,brokerage fees,CDN fees, and then add 13% on top of it and it gets very close to $1K.
even at 'par', $400 for the steel and rubber is nuts.
as for saving time.... i can make them in two hours, faster than ANY Amazon service,BTW are they IN STOCK ?? Some on this forum have wated months for parts, over a YEAR for a tractor !!
as for money, ZERO cost to me
Goldberg ? mine would simply be a close clone of the pads

you said they were cheaper, but obviously they do sell for more
you're willing to pay the cheaper price..
I'm happy paying even less...... free

but heck to each his own

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
saw this..
Those pads are also available from Messick's, for a mere $401.55 + shipping (probably $35-$40 ?)
Messicks is USA based.....so I assume $400 US $...

OK,so convert that$400 USD,add shipping, handling,duties,brokerage fees,CDN fees, and then add 13% on top of it and it gets very close to $1K.
even at 'par', $400 for the steel and rubber is nuts.
as for saving time.... i can make them in two hours, faster than ANY Amazon service,BTW are they IN STOCK ?? Some on this forum have wated months for parts, over a YEAR for a tractor !!
as for money, ZERO cost to me
Goldberg ? mine would simply be a close clone of the pads

you said they were cheaper, but obviously they do sell for more
you're willing to pay the cheaper price..
I'm happy paying even less...... free

but heck to each his own
Yes.....the pads are in stock!
No...not from Amazon, .....but from the manufacturer, in Hanover, MA.
Just go to... fllippadinternational.com!

I do know how absurdly expensive, and taxed, everything is in Canada....I lived there periodically over the last 58 years.

If you could actually make all 4 of those pads, from unprepared scavenged materials, equaling production pad standards, and all in a total of 2 hours, I would agree to eat at least one of them.

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
A lot of people think they can make stuff but don’t or find out it is not as easy.

Going to test the pads today by pulling out a blow down walnut by the creek. Thawing snow covered ground. It and a few cedar and white oak logs will cover a year’s fuel cost.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A lot of people think they can make stuff but don’t or find out it is not as easy.

Going to test the pads today by pulling out a blow down walnut by the creek. Thawing snow covered ground. It and a few cedar and white oak logs will cover a year’s fuel cost.
Walnut and oak are excellent firewood.....but cedar?
Dry cedar burns like newspaper ?

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I always heard cedar kinda explodes (pops a lot ), fine in an enclosed wood appliance but NOT in an open fireplace....

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
These logs going to sawmill.
We burn wood. Firewood selling is a tough business. Eastern cedar is really juniper. Aromatic and bright red heart wood.

Point is using the backhoe as a logging winch requires good anchorage and testament to well designed pads.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I always heard cedar kinda explodes (pops a lot ), fine in an enclosed wood appliance but NOT in an open fireplace....
I had a damaged dead cedar overhanging my truck at a campground so I asked if they could take it down. They cut it up in firewood length and I used it for the week and took the remainder home to burn in my indoor furnace. I too heard that it is a softwood and shouldn't be used as firewood but it turned out to be excellent. It may have been the juniper variety mentioned above since it was in Pennsylvania.