BF400G Loader going down to fast.

acheek

Equipment
BF400G Loader
Jan 3, 2023
Ohio
My father has a BF400G loader on his tractor. The controls are very touchy to the point of being unsafe. You move the lever to lower bucket and it comes down quickly. Even when raising the loader it seems to be way to fast. Is there some sort of flow control built into the valves or somewhere else in system? Or has anyone experienced this?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My father has a BF400G loader on his tractor. The controls are very touchy to the point of being unsafe. You move the lever to lower bucket and it comes down quickly. Even when raising the loader it seems to be way to fast. Is there some sort of flow control built into the valves or somewhere else in system? Or has anyone experienced this?
The usual complaint is too slow. The valves are flow control devices. They are not simply on or off. Smaller movements of the lever produce slower movement of the loader. Larger movements produce faster movement.

As far as lowering speed goes your valve has a fourth position called float. It is engaged by moving the lever all of the way back/down and lets the loader fall under the force of gravity. It is not meant for lowering a raised loadet. It is used when the implement is on the ground and allows it to follow the ground contour. Are you by chsnce engaging float with the losder raised?

Dan

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I have a loader on a garden tractor that now moves down too fast forcing extreme care with the lever. The problem started when I replaced the worn pump with one that has about 20% more capacity, the original is no longer available. My thought is that a flow control valve or restrictor orifice is needed.

D.jFarm78

Equipment
L2250 FEL& L4610FEl, BH, Grapple, Mower, Gannon , blade, disc, plow, rototiller,
Mar 20, 2020
Young, Az USA
A couple things I did to help control the bucket speed on the BF400G loader.
One was my linkage was real worn, when you move the lever and stopped to hold at a controlled position the valve would move a little further since the linkage was so loose. I was able to find a few parts and it helped. Then I changed the hydraulic fluid to super udt2 the also helped.
Not for sure this will help but a couple things to look at.

acheek

Equipment
BF400G Loader
Jan 3, 2023
Ohio
Not pushing into float mode. Normal pushing of the lever sends the bucket down fast. Have to take two hands and just barely move the lever to have it descend at a regular speed. Going up is fairly fast as well which made me think there was a flow control problem. Guess I will look into the valve itself more.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Not pushing into float mode. Normal pushing of the lever sends the bucket down fast. Have to take two hands and just barely move the lever to have it descend at a regular speed. Going up is fairly fast as well which made me think there was a flow control problem. Guess I will look into the valve itself more.
What model tractor and is the loader running off the tractor hydraulics or a dedicated pump?

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is several springs in that model of control valve, and a broken spring can make them act unpredictable.
The only way your going to know is taking it apart.
Now here is another issue, that control is so old that getting replacement parts might end up being an impossible task.

Tomek

Equipment
L2550
Dec 29, 2023
Midwest
Hey there fellas Im goin thru my 87 L2550 with the BF400G loader.
Will be looking into addressing the loader droping unpredictable as talked above.
I was thinking of maybe replacing o rings or spring in it. Looked at aftermarket but not sure what would work as far as flow and thread wise.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hey there fellas Im goin thru my 87 L2550 with the BF400G loader.
Will be looking into addressing the loader droping unpredictable as talked above.
I was thinking of maybe replacing o rings or spring in it. Looked at aftermarket but not sure what would work as far as flow and thread wise.
There are no orings to replace - spools are metal on metal.

If there is a real problem you will be way better off spending $275 for a new valve.

Dan

Tomek

Equipment
L2550
Dec 29, 2023
Midwest
There are no orings to replace - spools are metal on metal.

If there is a real problem you will be way better off spending $275 for a new valve.

Dan
Yes, I was considering in buying a new unit but not sure what one I need. How canI find out a little more about the valve, or at least what GPM flow I need.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yes, I was considering in buying a new unit but not sure what one I need. How canI find out a little more about the valve, or at least what GPM flow I need.
You have a low flow mobil equipment application and need a two spool 10-12 GPM open center directional control valve with power beyond.

Boom spool is 4 positon four way with detented float.

Bucket spool is 3 position 4 way with spring center.

Many valves around with those characteristics. Here is one:

Your biggest issue is the mounting angle of the old valve. You will need to fabricate a plate or bracket to turn the new valve horizontal rather than vertical.

Dan

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Dan, your understanding and presentation of hydraulics function and links to purchase necessary components is a great benefit to this board. It's a delight to read your solutions even if I don't need it at the time! Your contributions are valuable!! Thanks.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan, your understanding and presentation of hydraulics function and links to purchase necessary components is a great benefit to this board. It's a delight to read your solutions even if I don't need it at the time! Your contributions are valuable!! Thanks.
Thanks - replacing a loader valve is actually pretty simple.

Dan

Tomek

Equipment
L2550
Dec 29, 2023
Midwest
You have a low flow mobil equipment application and need a two spool 10-12 GPM open center directional control valve with power beyond.

Boom spool is 4 positon four way with detented float.

Bucket spool is 3 position 4 way with spring center.

Many valves around with those characteristics. Here is one:

Your biggest issue is the mounting angle of the old valve. You will need to fabricate a plate or bracket to turn the new valve horizontal rather than vertical.

Dan
Hey Dan,
Thanks so much for the great valve info you posted.
I looked into my excisting valve and yeah, theres nothing I can really do but to change it out as it has to be warn out casue the springs are all in tack.
I looked at the summit valve you send and it is something im considiring in buying, but would like to know more about the type of threads I have on the Kubota L2550 with the BF400G and the thread that it will come set up for. Will I be needed thread conversions?
Im thinking of calling them before I place the order just to get some more info.
Another thing I was really confused about was, why does my valve have 7 hoses coming to it and the summit one ( and the one I looked at www.surpluscenter.com ) only has 6.
So i have a power beyond hose? What is it beaing used for?? The valve block on the Kubota has a IN, OUT, and TO TANK ports factory.

Im really new to hydraulics so bear with me haha.
ThankS Tom

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hey Dan,
Thanks so much for the great valve info you posted.
I looked into my excisting valve and yeah, theres nothing I can really do but to change it out as it has to be warn out casue the springs are all in tack.
I looked at the summit valve you send and it is something im considiring in buying, but would like to know more about the type of threads I have on the Kubota L2550 with the BF400G and the thread that it will come set up for. Will I be needed thread conversions?
Im thinking of calling them before I place the order just to get some more info.
Another thing I was really confused about was, why does my valve have 7 hoses coming to it and the summit one ( and the one I looked at www.surpluscenter.com ) only has 6.
So i have a power beyond hose? What is it beaing used for?? The valve block on the Kubota has a IN, OUT, and TO TANK ports factory.

Im really new to hydraulics so bear with me haha.
ThankS Tom
The Summit valve requires a power beyond sleeve for ude in your application and will be plumbed with seven hoses just like your current valve.

The Summit valve has SAE-10 inlet and tank ports. The power beyond and cylinder ports are SAE-8. You will need port adapters thst match yoir hoses.

Post a picture of your old valve and I will guess.

Dan

Tomek

Equipment
L2550
Dec 29, 2023
Midwest
The Summit valve requires a power beyond sleeve for ude in your application and will be plumbed with seven hoses just like your current valve.

The Summit valve has SAE-10 inlet and tank ports. The power beyond and cylinder ports are SAE-8. You will need port adapters thst match yoir hoses.

Post a picture of your old valve and I will guess.

Dan

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
It looks like the hoses all have JIC female swivels which are easy to match. Looks like size is JIC-8 but you jeed to confirm by measuring the male threads.

The ports in the valve look like SAE oring boss. You would have to remove the existing adapters and measure the diameter of the threads. My WAG would be SAE-8 but you need to confirm.

None of those connections should have pipe dope,/sealant applied to them.

Why do you need to replace that valve?

Dan

Tomek

Equipment
L2550
Dec 29, 2023
Midwest
It looks like the hoses all have JIC female swivels which are easy to match. Looks like size is JIC-8 but you jeed to confirm by measuring the male threads.

The ports in the valve look like SAE oring boss. You would have to remove the existing adapters and measure the diameter of the threads. My WAG would be SAE-8 but you need to confirm.

None of those connections should have pipe dope,/sealant applied to them.

Why do you need to replace that valve?

Dan
The loader does not operate smoothly and is sometimes dangerous as stated in the above post.
All fitting look like this. Just some are 90*.
I trying it find a place where I can find this to fit the 3/4”-16 and the 7/8”-14. Will have call around tomorrow. Not sure what size I have on the hose but gonna read about it and measure. I believe it’s an m16 but what’s the proper size and name I don’t know yet.

Do you know if I can mount this hoses right or left or it matters for the float to work on the down position correct?

Attachments